Meanwhile in EVE Valkyrie

Bastion

Captain
Sep 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Bastion
Haha I was just about to post this. It looks so damn FLOATY. I do not approve of this. No weight to anything. Im more excited to watch an idris open fire on a javelin than watch these titans oneshot doomsday eachother.

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
That looks flipping awesome, though not quite as "immersive" as SC seems like it will be. Just Jump into your space fighter and blow stuff up. Or am I completely wrong about this?

Eliyahu

Space Marshal
Feb 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Eliyahu2
So it's a separate game, got it now, I wondered how they were going to completely change the game mechanics of eve and somehow make that work, but it turns out they aren't.

K1NG

Captain
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
K1NG_Brit
So is this game going to be single player and following a story?

This looks like its based on FW stuff. Not my cup of tea really.

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
So it's a separate game, got it now, I wondered how they were going to completely change the game mechanics of eve and somehow make that work, but it turns out they aren't.
Isn't it implemented into EvE though? So EvE players will see the lil fighters fighting around?

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Just finished watching the EVE keynote, looks like they are trying to further integrated Valkyrie into EVE (although its not confirmed) but a slide said that there are making players easier to support huge battles by controlling structures and drones. Much hype was announced today :D

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
You guys do realize that integrating Valkyrie into EVE will end in a clusterfuck, just like how Dust 512 ended up.

CCP would be better off putting their time and energy into developing an EVE Online sequel that is more flexible and functional, engine-wise, that would be more capable of integrating these spin-off games.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
But then all those guys who whiled away literal YEARS in playtime into getting their shit set up will suddenly have nothing to show for it when they move to the new game.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
But then all those guys who whiled away literal YEARS in playtime into getting their shit set up will suddenly have nothing to show for it when they move to the new game.
Apparently, you've never heard of a database migration. Square Enix, against all odds, pulled it off when they kicked out the old FFXIV 1.0 server infrastructure and back end, and replaced it with the new version that currently supports A Realm Reborn. And you know what? Nobody lost their character data. FFXIV: ARR is basically a completely new game engine, new server backend, all of it from scratch.

If CCP is going to continue to be afraid of losing everything by rebuilding their game completely from the ground up as a sequel to EVE Online, then they don't deserve to be involved in the MMO space.

Irishnutcase

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Irishnutcase
After about 2 to 3 years of playing EVE and 1 of dust (I stopped playing 2 years ago) I kinda waited for the part were we were gonna be able to walk into our CEO's quarters and do stupid funny shit to them just for lol's. Back on topic, This still does not want me to go back to EVE.Looks good though. I like SC better.

K1NG

Captain
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
K1NG_Brit
Apparently, you've never heard of a database migration. Square Enix, against all odds, pulled it off when they kicked out the old FFXIV 1.0 server infrastructure and back end, and replaced it with the new version that currently supports A Realm Reborn. And you know what? Nobody lost their character data. FFXIV: ARR is basically a completely new game engine, new server backend, all of it from scratch.

If CCP is going to continue to be afraid of losing everything by rebuilding their game completely from the ground up as a sequel to EVE Online, then they don't deserve to be involved in the MMO space.
We've all heard of it, but I don't know if you understand how Databases work.

It's incredibly hard to pull this off correctly, without loosing data. It isn't just an 'export and import' process. SQL for example uses very complex methods of storing data in its tables. That easy viewport you use in Sequel Pro for example is not at all what the DB actually looks like.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
We've all heard of it, but I don't know if you understand how Databases work.

It's incredibly hard to pull this off correctly, without loosing data. It isn't just an 'export and import' process. SQL for example uses very complex methods of storing data in its tables. That easy viewport you use in Sequel Pro for example is not at all what the DB actually looks like.
I'm quite aware of that. Even then, there are methods such as developing automated database conversion tools (which is what Square Enix did). There really isn't an excuse for CCP to keep trying to wrestle with EVE Online's ancient code.

Forgot your password?