Mech suit teaser

NomadicHavoc

Captain
Donor
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
@Talonsbane: Thanks so much for sharing! It was a joy to see this thing in action.

Just happened to come across this on YouTube, so I though I'd share.

I really love this titan power lifter! People paid for a simulator and that’s what we are getting with the nerf of the handheld TruHold and MaxLift tractor beam attachments, and the inclusion of the ATLS titan power lifter. Makes 100% sense to me that each are progressively more efficient at lifting crates, etc.

Have CIG said whether or not they may also release mining and salvaging variants? Hope they do.

1725737722314.jpeg

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
::yawn::

Okay so yeah. They delivered something. Trouble is it doesn’t do anything you can’t do with a hand held tractor. So it’s just taking up space.

It does have interesting dynamics and if they add armor and weapons, maybe they’ll be worth having. That’s a big maybe. With armor, a shield, a railgun and an S1 laser repeater, maybe useful. Maybe not.

I’ve been thinking for years they’d release this when they are hopelessly behind and don’t want us to notice. Seems I was right.

Where is the Polaris? Where’s the Idris and Javelin? Where are the Vanduul ships? I thought Sq42 was done and they were going to step things up? Instead we got a really cool tractor beam.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

LurchLord

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2016
RSI Handle
LurchLord
::yawn::

Okay so yeah. They delivered something. Trouble is it doesn’t do anything you can’t do with a hand held tractor. So it’s just taking up space.
That's where they got you (and in fact most of us) by the pubics. Handheld tractor beams will soon(TM) be limited in container size for pickup and require batteries to operate.
They are already made almost useless with the ludicrous speed reduction.
Also, ARGO JAFB has a new, totally different tractor system that does not require fucking around with the mouse wheel. It's more convenient and significantly faster.
So guess what happens here. You either get a ship with a (working) tractor beam, or only get to do small scale hauling missions that pay out next to nothing.
As for shipbound tractor,
Cutlass: Still widely used by people as multipurpose ship, tractor not functional
Caterpillar: Widely used as heavy hauler, tractor not practical because stupidly positioned
Nice move by CIG here, create a problem, make all tools useless, sell a "new" solution.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
*quote from talonsbane bc I'm hungover and apparently forgot to attach the quote* edit

Apologies. I'm ex mil and my humor usually is past the line for most groups. I was also drunk on daiquiris. This hangover is my penance
I got it anyway - the guys I usually hang out with on my neighborhood watch group - that would have been a polite quip not even banter :D (We didn't even make fun of anyone's moms or wives...o dads or brothers, or friends yet) :o

Mishi

Commander
Aug 14, 2024
RSI Handle
Mishi
I got it anyway - the guys I usually hang out with on my neighborhood watch group - that would have been a polite quip not even banter :D (We didn't even make fun of anyone's moms or wives...o dads or brothers, or friends yet) :o
This is why I joined the forums. I already have a pretty good idea of the dudes I want to fly with more.

To keep it on topic after all that. I'm a little wishy washy on how I feel about this. On the one hand I do think it's pretty cool, I'm always down for mechs. I even got excited when I saw them on that one planet in starfield. Buuut I still think they need to do some tweaking on how long everything already takes. I understand it's work and in a game that wants things to feel real it makes sense. But it's also a game in which everything takes forever...I thought eve was bad. And that's if everything works or human error isn't involved.

If there's different tools for moving stuff, just make them make sense on a time basis.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
*quote from talonsbane bc I'm hungover and apparently forgot to attach the quote* edit

Apologies. I'm ex mil and my humor usually is past the line for most groups. I was also drunk on daiquiris. This hangover is my penance
No worries, I just wanted to make sure I understood. Cheers! Hopefully the hangover goes better for you than it does for the main chars in the movie series. LoL

Reactions: Mishi

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Where is the Polaris? Where’s the Idris and Javelin? Where are the Vanduul ships? I thought Sq42 was done and they were going to step things up? Instead we got a really cool tractor beam.
Patience my friend, remember that many of us predicted during the last CitizenCon that the Polaris wouldn't be released any earlier than ILW, but would most likely arrive around it's 8 year anniversary at this year's CC or possibly held until IAE this year. I'm still hoping for this year's CC, because what better way to release it into the Verse, even if only in the PTU, than on its anniversary?

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Caterpillar: Widely used as heavy hauler, tractor not practical because stupidly positioned
Nice move by CIG here, create a problem, make all tools useless, sell a "new" solution.
Wouldn't the Cat's tractor beam be functional if the cargo is aligned with the side of the ship that the tractor beam is on? If so, the problem is mostly resolved by the direction that the ship is facing placing the cargo on the more convenient side. I've always seen that as a possible issue with the Cat because of how it was designed.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
The easiest way to playfully make fun of somebody's spouse, is to remind them that the spouse chose to be with them, thus questioning their taste in partners. As for playfully making fun of somebody's parents, knock their parental skills based on how the friend turned out. Possibly adding in a reminder to the friend that half of their genetics came from each of their bio parents. While it may still a little for many, it's still the truth & can easily be flipped back on you. Might seem like a double edged sword, unless you already accept those things, which would make it more like a slap fight using soggy pool noodles in the middle of a hot summer day.

Reactions: Mishi and BUTUZ

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
You either get a ship with a (working) tractor beam, or only get to do small scale hauling missions that pay out next to nothing.
Well, we all know every profession in game will have its economics reset at beta, so worrying about it now serves nothing. Hauling will always pay and hauling in the danger zone will pay much more than in safe spaces. Let’s not complain until they screw it all up.

I’m most interested in the 315’s tractor. That should not only be able to load stuff into boxes on its cargo pads, but put salvaged components like S5 plasma cannons on the pads. Anyone know if it has that kind of utility yet? Last I checked it did not.

Reason I’m asking. . .Vanduul weapons are not available in stores. The S5 Wraith cannon has gnarly alpha strike capability. IIRC, it not only slaps hard but makes the target overheat. That is the kind of commodity that ought to earn big pesos when salvage starts to include components and the best way to gather them is with a tractor. The 315 was intended to earn money this way. If it can’t, why would anyone choose it over the 325? I think the extended range tank is long gone.

Killing a Glaive with a 315 should be hard, but looting it afterward should be easy.

Last edited:

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
In Greek mythology, Atlas was one of the Titans, that one condemned to hold up the heavens. It's clear to me that Argo ATLS is a Proof of Technology, the first Titan exoskeleton suit variant. I bet we would see a military variant soon. Since the power loader is called Atlas, the armed one could be called Cronus (Kronos), after the most powerful Titan.

StarCitizen 2024-09-08 21-22-35.png

"Argo ATLS, The Beer Bearer" ; )

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Dunno about you guys.
But I hear Mech.
And I hear ATLAS.
I think:
1725882304360.png

Or maybe:
1725882494759.png

So even if that new ARGO Walkabout has some practical uses, I just might be a little bit disappointed.

PS : Glad it aint this one though...

1725882667448.png

(It talks more than I do...)

LurchLord

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2016
RSI Handle
LurchLord
I never liked that first Atlas. Overhyped 100 ton mistake in my book. Ooh look at me, I got a skull for a head, I am so scary.
Marauder II > Atlas, when it comes to 100 tonners.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Ah well, Marauder II, huh?
I can't help but feel that it looks like a basic Marauder past it's prime.
Little too much beer and snacks an woops... how do I suddenly weigh 100 tons??
Now if you really want to go heavy...
King Crab!
The one and only!

(\|) ò-ó. (|/)

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The trouble with the Marauder and King Crab is the backward folding knee. It makes for decent speed, but it causes the Mech to bounce severely which can affect aim.

If you want to dominate in the Assault class, choose the Highlander, with Black Carapace for self healing, partial wings for pouncing and the biggest battle axe or sword you can find. Melee beats guns every time, and nothing looks cooler than an assault Mech falling out of the sky to cleave another Mech in half. Just too much fun.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Forgot your password?