Mercury Cult - Now on Live! Go Fly!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Ugh... a wannabe Luxury ship with the entry point either form the cargo area or from the kitchen/crew compartment? A wannabe luxury ship that has two hight voltage power generator sitting right next the yacuzzi pool ready to fry your guest?

I think if you are looking for a luxury turing ship you'll have to go to the 600i, the Phonex looks like a '70 van repainted with a metallic 3 layer paint and alloy wheel: it looks fancy outside, but as soon as you enter it you'll realise that is still old and rusty.
I've never seen it as a Luxury touring ship as it feels more like a private business jet.

So more this.
1606224488010.jpeg

Then this
Luxury Yacht Interior Design - YouTube

For me the 600 touring would be the introduction luxury ship with the 890 jump being the pinnacle and i feel the 890 jump is successful in that while the 600 really needs a complete makeover of the internal layout. So no I do not believe the Phoenix is a wannabe luxury ship and is successful in what its attempting to accomplish. (OK I'll admit it really needs a bathroom in the middle section but its not unusual for the bathroom to be located in or near the crew service area)

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Just happen to find this tread on Spectrum, saltines asaide (that's an excuse for more beer...) it's good amount of good advice and not only for the MSR:

Kaus_Borealis

Grand Admiral
Jun 9, 2019
RSI Handle
Kaus_Borealis
I've would wanted turrets will fold & fusion with the ship fuselage when they are offline following aerodinamic design lines.

Upper turret looks like a large pimple in a nose, sticks out aerodinamic design lines by far. I understand it's useful gaining a wide open range of fire, but flying it's somehow stylish like a dromedary.
This is what we all MSR owners want. :love:
s2chc3enzvk81.jpg

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
This is what we all MSR owners want. :love:
The actual paint:
Wish there was one for the Hercules variants too.

Kaus_Borealis

Grand Admiral
Jun 9, 2019
RSI Handle
Kaus_Borealis
The actual paint:
Wish there was one for the Hercules variants too.
Yep, but I'd like retractable turrets too.

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
Ok Merc guys, convince me to get one again. I dropped it as I got SOO sick of how long it took to get in/out of and I found the pilot weapons pretty weak if I was out in it solo. But now of course I'm feeling pretty done with the Ion, and am considering CCUing it back to the Merc. . . what say ye?

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Yep, but I'd like retractable turrets too.
Oh yeah that would be nice, especially given the room inside. It also needs a way out of the ship that doesn't involve running the entire length of the ship. but...

Ok Merc guys, convince me to get one again. I dropped it as I got SOO sick of how long it took to get in/out of and I found the pilot weapons pretty weak if I was out in it solo. But now of course I'm feeling pretty done with the Ion, and am considering CCUing it back to the Merc. . . what say ye?
Keep in mind that neither the Ion nor the MSR were designed as dogfighters if that's what you're looking for. Not worth wasting your money on if that's what you want.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
As @Vavrik points out, neither are dogfighters, no matter how much we want them to be able to.. difference is, the MSR offers far, far more gameplay. And if you bring along another friendly TEST subject with promises of beer, those turrets are badass.

The MSR offers something that few other ships can legitimately provide, and that is the ability to dictate IF a fight is to take place. Check out this cut of a crewed MSR from Avenger__One.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK837RGVg0I

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
Keep in mind that neither the Ion nor the MSR were designed as dogfighters if that's what you're looking for. Not worth wasting your money on if that's what you want.
No illusions about that I assure you. Vanguard is my fighter of choice, and why I don't feel the Ares will ever bring enough 'else' to the table (now or future) for me to warrant dedicating a spot in my fleet to it. And it's sorta been the same problem with the Merc; datarunning notwithstanding, what does it offer that I don't already have covered between a Cutty Black and Phoenix? I do WANT to have one, but am struggling to convince myself that it's special enough to warrant owning yet another medium freighter. . .

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
No illusions about that I assure you. Vanguard is my fighter of choice, and why I don't feel the Ares will ever bring enough 'else' to the table (now or future) for me to warrant dedicating a spot in my fleet to it. And it's sorta been the same problem with the Merc; datarunning notwithstanding, what does it offer that I don't already have covered between a Cutty Black and Phoenix? I do WANT to have one, but am struggling to convince myself that it's special enough to warrant owning yet another medium freighter. . .
Everyone has their priorities. I personally would fly the MSR over both the Cutty Black (Have one) and Phoenix (I have an Aquila) based on a combination of cargo capacity and speed. But the MSR with a good crew packs a bit of a punch too. Not so much if you fly it alone, but there are a lot of ships like that.

Kaus_Borealis

Grand Admiral
Jun 9, 2019
RSI Handle
Kaus_Borealis
Oh yeah that would be nice, especially given the room inside. It also needs a way out of the ship that doesn't involve running the entire length of the ship. but...

The MSR was designed for speed and smuggler ops, copying the lore of the Millennium Falcon...That's why turrents exposed can collide with rocks trying to escape in an asteroid field. For an emergency runaway and precision extractions you need a neat ship profile.

Asteroid Fields should be the escape door for the MSR, the fighters have speed limitation constraint due they are weak and need to dodge rocks, meanwhile heavier ships than MSR are slower, not as nimble as the MSR, and support a negative cost/benefit risk chasing a MSR in an asteroid field.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?