[Mercury Star Runner Intensifies]

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
We have the first look at the MSR's whitebox today in the email newsletter. I'm lovin it!

I'm not a huge fan of the asymmetrical design, but the interior seems like the perfect design for a small/medium size ship. I'm looking forward to it!
I'm also not the most avid fan of designs for vehicles that are asymmetrical, however sometimes function trumps form in value. This being said, if they had made this ship to be symmetrical externally but had 1 side for data hacking / collecting while the other could perform an EMP to either wipe out the traces of the hack or to shut a ship down to allow it to be hacked more easily as it's systems are booting up, then I'd say that this ship is a complete work of artistic design beauty.

I'm loving the size of it. Just big enough to feel like a livable ship, but small enough to not be another flying brick.
*Points to @Grimbli 's Aurora.* You might want to apologize to her before you take her for a spin next. Ships can be rather sensitive about how they're talked about & it might not be a "glitch" caused by CIG coding next time.

I've already decided that one of my MSRs will be full Military spec fit. The 2nd will be full Stealth. Wondering if I should get a 3rd and have it be a mix of components.
Sounds like an awesome plan to me.

You know you can change the components in game at the click of a mouse for free right?

Just checking ;
That's only temporary. CIG is working on making it where you'll have to head into stations that can perform repairs to swap certain parts while those you can swap yourself will have to be done manually, once that gameplay is running in game.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
You know you can change the components in game at the click of a mouse for free right?

Just checking ;)
That sounds like work. I have two of them so they can each be fit a specific way and always.
No, no, he has a point. The only way to reliably change components on the fly is to carry the physical components inside the cargo grid at all times. If you leave on a mission with them in your hangar you can't change out. And changing them would require powering down these systems to switch.

Although if you go out and leave one then you can't change on the fly anyways, unless you have someone fly it along with you. So there is that.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
No, no, he has a point. The only way to reliably change components on the fly is to carry the physical components inside the cargo grid at all times. If you leave on a mission with them in your hangar you can't change out. And changing them would require powering down these systems to switch.

Although if you go out and leave one then you can't change on the fly anyways, unless you have someone fly it along with you. So there is that.
This is where I think a ship with redundancy systems and overlapping systems can be a mojor bonus. Look at the Sabre. Four shield slots? Seems a little overkill until you think there is the shield better for laser, the shield better for neutron, the shield better for EMP, the shield better for...

Having 2 generator slots in the 350R sounds great for an ennergy weapon setup but thinking about it if you install a lower output fast generator and a higher output slow generator it can really start to give you options above and beyond having two of the same type.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
It is a huge ship for a courrier design. What kind of mission this is is primary intended for?

My what?

My smallest ship will be a 315p I think. Don't care for Auroras at all. I hate RSI ships.
I'll lend you my connie and you'll hate them more ^^

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Lots of people knock the Connies, but my gut feeling is that right before official launch, that they will get another refresh to bring them up to the level that they're desired again because they have always been 1 of CR's favorite line of ships. Personally, I like the Connies, but I feel that based on how iconic they're supposed to be, that they should each have something that gives them an edge in some field that equalizes them with the others in their fields per size class. Perhaps the Andromeda would have best in class weapons, the Aquilla have best in class quantum range, Taurus have best in class shields for defense & the Phoenix get best in class PDS weapons or an improved resistance against EMP's or something else to protect those it is transporting.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Lots of people knock the Connies, but my gut feeling is that right before official launch, that they will get another refresh to bring them up to the level that they're desired again because they have always been 1 of CR's favorite line of ships. Personally, I like the Connies, but I feel that based on how iconic they're supposed to be, that they should each have something that gives them an edge in some field that equalizes them with the others in their fields per size class. Perhaps the Andromeda would have best in class weapons, the Aquilla have best in class quantum range, Taurus have best in class shields for defense & the Phoenix get best in class PDS weapons or an improved resistance against EMP's or something else to protect those it is transporting.
Man, I love everything about the ship except it's design. It's so...boring.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
No clue. But I do admit I still have both the Andromeda and Phoenix and periodically fly them around (not as much since getting the Carrack in-game) . They honestly are not bad ships and I believe they still carry the most missiles of any ship. The only issues I have is the horizontal strut in the middle of the view and how many holes their shields have. Otherwise, I do enjoy flying them as they are responsive for their size and relatively fast and those 4 turrets eat other ships pretty fast if you can keep on target.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Lots of people knock the Connies, but my gut feeling is that right before official launch, that they will get another refresh to bring them up to the level that they're desired again because they have always been 1 of CR's favorite line of ships.
I aggree, constellation was one of the first ship ever designed, so it has not yet benefit from all the good ideas put in more recent designs. I hope they will revamp it before launch, i like it (well exept that it turn like a snail...)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Sounds like the old expression about a town bicycle where it wasn't pretty, but everybody's periodically taken it for a ride while hoping that nobody has seen them do it recently.
Lololol, talking about my ex-wife again eh? She was fun.

For everyone.
I aggree, constellation was one of the first ship ever designed, so it has not yet benefit from all the good ideas put in more recent designs. I hope they will revamp it before launch, i like it (well exept that it turn like a snail...)
Yeah man, if they could somehow make it a wee bit inspiring, I could see myself in one.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
What if they changed the cockpit glass to be more like that of the Carrack's? Nvm, stupid idea as RSI & Anvil have nothing to do with each other. ;p

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?