Merry Christmas to me!

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Google fiber is gigabit internet for reasonable prices.
70 bucks a month for a gigabit down, as opposed to Spectrum charging me 100 bucks for "80" down.

I literally squealed in delight when I got the email- we had the hardware and hookups installed months and months ago but Google got mired in lawsuits from Spectrum so we weren't sure if we would ever get it flipped on.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
70 bucks a month for a gigabit down, as opposed to Spectrum charging me 100 bucks for "80" down.

I literally squealed in delight when I got the email- we had the hardware and hookups installed months and months ago but Google got mired in lawsuits from Spectrum so we weren't sure if we would ever get it flipped on.
I'm jealous :(

Google Fiber was supposed to be here 2 years ago but Cox and CenturyLink keep shutting them down. One day....

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
I've never heard of this before. Google is an ISP now? Every time i see a new google product, all i can think is 'well, one step closer to world domination'.
I mean, what's next, Google TVs? Google Delivery Services? A Google PC? A device that is literally a microphone that listens to every word you say? An app where google takes pictures of everywhere on the planet!??!:scream:
Oh, wait. Those are all things that google have done. Damn, they're further along than I thought. :smile:

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
1Gbit/s? Congratulations.
Although, well, I think I download kinda lot, but I've never felt the need to upgrade my 100Mbps connection. What exactly are you planning on using all that bandwidth for? :D
I mean, I got 20TB worth of HDD space (that's like a billion cat memes). To download that full of crap on a whim, would take 18 days on my current connection. Assuming I can even find new stuff to download that fast. I don't exactly see the need to do it in 1.8 days.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Oh my, I was checking 1Gbit/s connections in my area. There are two operators offering 1Gbps connections... FOR MOBILE DEVICES. A few years ago when they were offering 300Mbps for mobiles, I was wondering what's wrong with them. Now they're offering 1Gbps. Seriously, I can't sent media on Whats App nearly fast enough to make full use of that. I suppose I could get rid of my land line altogether and just use my phone to share the connection to my computers, but I can't exactly plug a cat-cable into my phone now can I? Sharing to laptop, sure. But I'd need to connect my cellphone to my router somehow. Well, I guess I could go with WDS forwarding... oh, now that I think of it...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Wow... so much for the "Free Market" promoting competition. There must be so many bribes flying around... Remember kids: when it's the only way to get anything done it becomes the default way of doing things.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I'm jealous :(

Google Fiber was supposed to be here 2 years ago but Cox and CenturyLink keep shutting them down. One day....
Same, over 2yrs ago we got flyers saying Google Fiber is coming to my neighborhood.

Spectrum and AT&T are blocking them at every opportunity.

Hooray for free markets!

At least I got a free shirt.

Forgot your password?