Mining Guide Updates Blog

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'm down to the Mining and Extracting portion of FPS. Its not hard, just getting good pics can be challenging sometimes. FPS mining really is far more simple than Prospector Mining. I feel like I'm repeating a lot.
I write a lot of manuals and design documentation (for work), including one that's on the go right now consuming half of my life...
It's OK to repeat yourself in an instruction document, because people might just look at that section to get the information they need. Or you can reference the information that you put in the document only once. The important thing is consistency of the end product. Use proofreaders too if you can. I find that sometimes it really helps to get someone else's perspective.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I write a lot of manuals and design documentation (for work), including one that's on the go right now consuming half of my life...
It's OK to repeat yourself in an instruction document, because people might just look at that section to get the information they need. Or you can reference the information that you put in the document only once. The important thing is consistency of the end product. Use proofreaders too if you can. I find that sometimes it really helps to get someone else's perspective.
I have a proofreader. He's just busy selling health insurance right now. @Printimus

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Was waiting to go to bed one evening this week and wrote the ending to the Guide.

Final Thoughts Mining is not an easy task. It is not a simple point and click get money system as many games are. It can be frustrating but also highly rewarding depending on the effort put into the task. It will require practice, a lot of practice to make work consistently. Mine a variety of rocks to get a good handle on how they react. For first timers, failure is almost certain on those very high instability rocks, or those with miniscule Green Zones. However, learning from mistakes through practice will make these failures fewer and further between. Even experienced miners continue this learning process as they mine each new rock in an effort to gain more understanding and to pad their bank accounts.

CIG has just begun to tap the potential of this game mechanic in all of it’s forms. Coming in 3.8 the game will introduce different mining lasers that can be equipped to the Prospector along with mining consumables. All of these with different effects so the player can tailor their approach and encouraging group activity as not every mining laser will be a good fit for all rocks. FPS Mining will also certainly continue to evolve. It is just a matter of time and that isn’t even counting the awaited Aaron Halo Asteroid Belt that rings the Stanton System or the coming of the Orion which will fundamentally transform how industrial groups coordinate and operate. The truth is, Mining as a profession will be complex enough for older players and simple enough for newer ones to keep everyone interested in it occupied for years to come. Thank you for reading.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
The rhythm could use some work... but the news is great.
Granted its not my best.

Following on from the meeting and the request of a table of contents I will make a new thread for the 3.8 Guide with each major section having its own reply to the thread so those posts can be directly linked to the table of contents.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
More than likely this will change when the Mole goes on sale and we get that info,

Introduction to mining
Explain FPM
Explain ship mining

Where to find:
Hand mineables
Ship mineables
Listing of all mineables

FPM Mining
Tools needed
Fracturing & extraction
Personal Inventory
Selling