Other Mining - The profession I didn't expect to love but did

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
So, I decided to jump into the game prior to 3.18, and outside of the myriad of bugs, crashes, and bullshit deaths (e.g. tripping on a stair and dying, getting out of my seat during QT and clipping out of the ship, cockpit becoming permanently locked, dying as I wake up in a medbed having just died) I've been having a blast!

And while I tried doing several things, I found a unique catharsis to being isolated in the deep black of the asteroid belt just cracking open rocks. There was just something about being alone out in deep space and focusing on the task that I felt myself falling in love with its calm groove.

While I'm not going to limit myself to just doing asteroid mining, I think I've found my niche. My happy place.

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
I haven't gone to seek out any hand mining nodes yet, but I accidentally tried mining the ones for the ROC in my prospector. I kept wondering why the mining laser at 0% was almost detonating the rocks right off the start.... So, I switched to just fanning the laser on and off to keep it in the green. But then the gems exploded everywhere instead of letting me collect them into the Prospector...

But I like it, and it's got me seriously considering unmelting my Orion at some point in the future so I can always have a mobile refinery on hand when I go out to the asteroid belt. The Galaxy is nice and all, but one thing I hate about it is that for something that is supposed to work in tandem with a Prospector, it can't fit one in its hangar. Oh well, maybe one day we'll get a mining snub craft that can land on the xxs landing pad.

Reactions: Vavrik

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I agree - there is something about cracking rocks on my own that I find really relaxing!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Is anyone setting up an event for the new mining updates in .19 PTU?
It's a little hard to set up industrial events in the PTU but I'm game for that. I don't know if anyone is setting anything up - so you can, or anyone (except me, lol. Don't ask.)

Forgot your password?