Mixologist Masters Class

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
I usually drink beer for much the reason @Dirtbag_Leader suggests, but these are two excellent cocktails, worth the effort:

Old Fashioned: Old fashioned recipe | BBC Good Food - I like Woodford Reserve or a similar fairly light/smooth American bourbon for this drink. You may prefer the flavour of your favourite whiskey, but it's pointless using a more expensive whiskey (or even worse, a decent Scotch whisky like a good single malt) in a cocktail. Orange angostura bitters or one or two drops of orange extract (the kind in alcohol, not the kind in oil used for baking, and definitely not orange flavouring) can be a nice touch. Garnish choices up to you and your preferences. Simple is fine.

Caipirinha: Caipirinha recipe | BBC Good Food - cachaça is easier to buy here at least than you might expect.

There are any number of alternative recipes for both if you don't like these.

Or get yourself a good cocktail book - I like ones that have a sort of 'choose your own adventure' where you start with what you have in the drinks cupboard, and it'll suggest what you can make. Fun times to be had there.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Because I'm from the second most impoverished area of the UK my idea of a mixed drink consists of mixing two commercial mixed drinks:

1 Orange Reef.
1 WKD Blue.

The result is acid green and called "Weedkiller".

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
A little something we make out at race event parties once the track goes cold.

Crown Royal Apple, mix it with an apple cider of your choice. If you get the balance right you won't even taste the Crown Royal but enjoy a nice sweet smooth drink.

Another nice one is Apple Pie Moonshine, but that recipe is secret!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'll post a pair of drinks that I created several years ago out of being bored & wanting to get creative in new ways.

Drink 1 is a sipping drink - Paradise Fruit Punch - mix equal parts Hypnotiq, X-Rated, Malibu rum, pineapple juice, orange juice & Sprite.

Drink 2 is a shot - The 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse - freeze separately equal parts 100 proof Hot Damn, 100 proof Rumplemints, 70 proof Jägermeister & 195+ proof Whole Grain Everclear. Shake each of these thoroughly 3x a day for a week before combining. Then shake the combined mixture 3x a day for a week before serving. This drink goes down like a jello shot, with most usually only picking up the mint or cinnamon flavors. This is a stealth shot though, meaning that while it goes down easily, after a few min, as it warms & is absorbed, the person consuming will feel really good.

Cheers!

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Well, basically there is only one mixable drink that truly fits this fine establishment.
And that's a Black&Tan.
Pale Ale at the bottom.
Stout on top.
Serve chilled.
Cheers!
04_23_Black_and_Tan_HERO_GettyImages_911091368_1920x1280.jpg

Nice colors, right? :o7:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
For those of you 'mixology' experts out there, please share your recipes for your favorite mixed drinks. I'm getting thirsty thinking of the possibilities...

@Montoya Maybe by the end of January we can award a winner. 1st place prize could perhaps be a Pico!
Rum drinks:
My take on the Rum Runner

Modify based on the size of your serving/glass but don't change the proportions. This is roughly a 15 ounce Hurricane glass. Halve the ingredients and it is a Utah legal cocktail.

One shot Dark Rum
One shot Light Rum
One shot Pineapple juice
3/4 shot Lime juice
1/4 shot Grenadine
One Shot Banana Liquor
One Shot Blackberry Brandy
Shake and strain into glass of ice or Blend with two cups of Ice

Float an ounce of overproof rum (Barcardi 151 is no longer available but any rum over 100 proof works) on top, or pour and ounce of Overproof rum into the straw.

Serve with a lime wedge.

Quick and simple Cocktail The Cuba Libre'

Pour One and a half ounces of Light or Dark Rum (151 not recommended) into an ice filled Collins Glass.
Fill with Coke
Squeeze a lime wedge and drop it in.

And finally.

Get a package of Franco's Hurricane mix (formerly Pat O'Brian's) mix it in a container that you can refrigerate the remainder in.)

For a 15 Ounce Hurricane glass (Adjust for serving size).
Four Ounces of Hurricane mix
Four ounces of Dark Rum
2 Cups of ice
Blend until smooth
Serve with a lime wedge.
(Pour me something tall and strong, make it a Hurricane before I go insane.)

And I always get asked why is all the rum gone?

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Well, basically there is only one mixable drink that truly fits this fine establishment.
And that's a Black&Tan.
Pale Ale at the bottom.
Stout on top.
Serve chilled.
Cheers!
View attachment 25302
Nice colors, right? :o7:
If you're going to layer a drink, do it right.

Kahula, Baileys, Grand Marnier, and a little bit of overproof rum.
Use a bar spoon to layer (in that order), then right before you serve it you light the rum.

A B-52 shot down in flames. (No I did not take the pic or set up this image.)

Last edited:

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
If you're going to layer a drink, do it right.

Kahula, Baileys, Grand Marnier, and a little bit of overproof rum.
Use a bar spoon to layer (in that order), then right before you serve it you light the rum.

A B-52 going down in flames. (No I did not take the pic or set up this image.)
I highly advise that anybody that will attempt this drink, start your drinking with this drink so that they are sober enough to remember to put out the flames before downing. Drink responsibly & don't get yourself killed. TESTie lives matter.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Oh, and since tomorrow is December 7th, to properly commerate Pearl Harbour Day, it is tradition to get bombed.

B-52's (above) or Kamakazies are the recommended drinks.

Kamikaze (you can make it by the pitcher).
One part Vodka
One part triple sec
One part lime juice

Shaken and served in shooter glasses.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Oh, and since tomorrow is December 7th, to properly commerate Pearl Harbour Day, it is tradition to get bombed.
Is it?
Then I probably don't wanna know what you guys drink on the 6th and 9th of August.

How to make a Nuclear Bomb (Cocktail)
Ingredients

Recipe:
  1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
  2. Add the whiskey, absinthe, lime juice, and grenadine.
  3. Shake well for about 20 seconds.
  4. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
  5. Serve immediately and enjoy responsibly. (As if...)
Well, I guess a true historian will have a reason to get sloshed on any given day of the year.

Sintha

Space Marshal
Sep 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Sintha
i love a good cocktail, some outstanding ones on the list. Im much less precise with mine and usually love a fruity drink. I put this together one day and made it regularly since.

1 Tall glass
1-2 shots of good vodka (i prefer grey goose)
1 shot of campari
2 spoon fulls of this
1702270872822.png

fill glass with soda water/Ice, stir and garnish with mint.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
i love a good cocktail, some outstanding ones on the list. Im much less precise with mine and usually love a fruity drink. I put this together one day and made it regularly since.

1 Tall glass
1 shot of campari
2 spoon fulls of this
View attachment 25332
Sort of reminds me of plugging a watermelon. Good times.

Reactions: NomadicHavoc

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

1 Tall glass
1 shot of campari
2 spoon fulls of this
View attachment 25332
When the US Army taught me Russian, our instructors insisted we learn how to drink Vodka. :)
After that I prefer Stoli. :)

But since vodka doesn't really have any flavor, as long as it doesn't curdle Baileys, it will work. :)

Frysian

Lieutenant
Dec 12, 2023
RSI Handle
Frysian
Oh boy, it would depend on what the occasion/time of the year is for me.
For me, after a nice dinner I'd take a cognac with espresso ANY DAY.

Summer: MUDSLIDE instead of a milkshake xD
Kahlua, Baileys, Vodka and heavy cream

When going out, Long island Ice Tea is my friend <3
Gin 15ml, Tequila 15ml, Vodka 15ml, Rum 15ml, Triple Sec 15ml, 25 ml Lemon Juice, 30 ml Simple Syrup (sugarwater) and to top it off around 60ml Coke/Cola, (whatever you want to call it)

But for Friday Night Drunk Squad: Hertog Jan. A wonderful dutch beer!

Forgot your password?