Monitor advice

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
Brief background: I currently use a ~22 inch TV for my PC, which my SO has decided will look better in the lounge when we move in together in 2 weeks. This leaves me with either a 19 inch non HD TV for my monitor or me to bite the bullet and upgrade, finally stop using a TV.

So what should I go with, I really have no clue. I'm running an Intel 3.4GHz CPU with 8gb ram and a GTX 660 if those make any difference. Also thoughts on using the old 19 inch as a second monitor? Worth it or just a waste of space and power?

In addition I'm from the UK, I have a budget of £100-200, but I would take some convincing to go much over £150

Also should I kick up my ram at the same time? Probably worth it right?

Reactions: o-BHG-o

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
Nothing wrong with another monitor. I used an old LCD screen for my 2nd monitor until it died a week or two ago. I pretty much used it for putting TS on it so I could read chat or see who is talking. Unless you care about them not matching of course :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117 is my current monitor and also the one I purchased to replace the old LCD. I really like it and it works quite nicely, but it appears to be at the top of your budget.

I suppose some things to look for would be a low response time around 2-5ms, HD resolution, and minimum of 60Hz refresh rate. You can look up the differences in LCD, Plasma, LED, or OLED for yourself and what your needs might be for both looks and budget. Its hard for me to recommend one over another because many of the pros and cons between them for watching movies, gaming, watching TV over Hulu or other services.

Reactions: o-BHG-o and Lienna

MadGhost

Admiral
Jun 28, 2014
RSI Handle
MadGhost
I am using a 40 inch Led 120hz. I can tell you that as far as TV's go I would never go less than a 120hz. Like Joe said its all about the response time with whatever you go with

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
Afaik you'll get a bigger tv than monitor for the same(ish) price but the monitor will have a better DPI(dots per inch)/pixel density, refresh rate, response time and perhaps colour contrast. That said it's not that easy to tell the difference at the low/mid range. Personally I have a cheap LG, similar to this.
I got rid of the tv and added a small (old) LCD for monitoring and TS etc. My opinion for what it's worth, get a monitor.
Your 660 will output perfectly well to anything on the market. 8GB of RAM is plenty, watch your task manager on the 2nd (monitoring) monitor when gaming. It's not likely that you'll max your RAM usage. I only see serious memory usage when running multiple Virtual Machines.

Check out the sale items at scan uk here.
Iyama are known to be good. Also BenQ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lienna

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Get a cheap monitor for a 125, but I'm not sure you can find any RAM for the remainder of your pounds. At least, I've heard everything costs twice as much in the UK, not really sure if that's true.

Budgets aside, it is a great idea to get a nice monitor when you have the cash. I shunned this for years, preferring a stock monitor taken from an old workplace pre-built PC (they let me have it for some reason). However, I eventually got to try out an incredible 29 inch Asus model for photo-editing, and I can't stand inferior monitors since. People may tell you a monitor isn't worth 300 dollars, but they've obviously never experienced such a high-end monitor. It's the thing you'll be staring at for hours on end. Splurge on it a bit, if you ever get the chance.

Minupla

Lieutenant
Aug 1, 2014
RSI Handle
Minupla
I went with one of the Korean 27"s and couldn't be happier. I got a qnix 2710 from the storewithstory ebay store. Couldn't be happier. 300 and change.

Not a single dead pixel, 2560x1440 resolution and 27". I plan on picking up 2 more for SC surround video goodness!

Ltskitzo

Lieutenant
Jul 31, 2014
RSI Handle
Ltskitzo
I went with one of the Korean 27"s and couldn't be happier. I got a qnix 2710 from the storewithstory ebay store. Couldn't be happier. 300 and change.

Not a single dead pixel, 2560x1440 resolution and 27". I plan on picking up 2 more for SC surround video goodness!
^^^You need to overclock the pants off of that to get the most out of it, that's the true benefit of Korean monitors. Check out Toasty X. A program called CRU (custom resolution utility) . That monitor CAN (not guaranteed) be capable of running up to 120hz. ^^^

As for a new monitor, I'm not a GURU but I have a respectable amount of knowledge because I research the crap out of any kind of PC hardware.

My suggestions for that price range would be some kind of IPS panel from a reputable brand. I personally own the Dell S2340L - it's glossy, so reflective of light, but the picture and colour is 2nd to none.

It does come down to preference. But for the money you should be able to afford 23-24 inch.

Your best bet, go to a decent PC site, look up '24" IPS HDMI' and pick the one with the most/best reviews.

I will happy to make some recommendations, but I would need more details. Also, feel free to share some links of monitors you like the look of and I will dig a bit deeper for you to give my 2 cents.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
Brief background: I currently use a ~22 inch TV for my PC, which my SO has decided will look better in the lounge when we move in together in 2 weeks. This leaves me with either a 19 inch non HD TV for my monitor or me to bite the bullet and upgrade, finally stop using a TV.

So what should I go with, I really have no clue. I'm running an Intel 3.4GHz CPU with 8gb ram and a GTX 660 if those make any difference. Also thoughts on using the old 19 inch as a second monitor? Worth it or just a waste of space and power?

In addition I'm from the UK, I have a budget of £100-200, but I would take some convincing to go much over £150

It's your TV, it goes wherever the hell you say it does.
'grats on taking the cohabitation plunge, but you do what you want, within reason, with your own shit, and they do the same.

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz

Hi Lienna,

Are you still working on this issue? I know it's been a while.

Like Joe stated, it would be an excellent use of your old monitor to use it as a secondary monitor for Teamspeak/chat/etc.

You can get your hands on a decent 22" 1920x1080 monitor for ~$110 USD. So depending on what is available in the UK and what stores you shop at...your results may slightly vary.

Having a decent 20-24" 1920x1080 monitor as your primary and then using your old TV as a secondary monitor would be a good solution without breaking the bank.

8GB of ram is plenty for the time being. Down the road..say closer to SC release...you'll want to look into upgrading.

Let me know what you end up doing :)

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
Sorry moving and then going on holiday, while great fun, also kinda mess up your normal schedule.

So what's happened is my biggest TV looked ridiculously small in the lounge, so now we have a 36" one in there we bought mostly using vouchers (yay for being thrifty)

So the current setup now has my 22 inch as a main and my 19 inch as a secondary (which for some reason has an annoying blue tint). It will do for now, but in the long term I'll be swapping the 19" out. But that might be 6 months down the line now. I am loving having a spare monitor for teamspeak and such, so that was a great idea. Thanks everyone for your help!

Reactions: o-BHG-o

SchrimPanzer

Captain
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
schrimpanzer
I have a BenQ XL2420T monitor, not exactly the cheapest but it's snappy fast! I believe there's later generations of it now as well. Maybe you can find a using one, or similar, for your budget tho?

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I have a lovely HP monitor(the model's been scraped off, but any HP will do). I'd go with 16GB of RAM, it'll help you get those textures up to max.

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
Necroing this thread... so I've decided that its time to upgrade, but this time I've put aside £300, though with good reason I could stretch a bit more...
I was really hoping for something 27", for gaming largely (it's 90% of my pc use). So obviously refresh rate is paramount (read some stuff on g-synch, is that actually any good?). Is the previous advice on this thread still true or have things changed in the last 8 months?
Thanks for any help you can give

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Necroing this thread... so I've decided that its time to upgrade, but this time I've put aside £300, though with good reason I could stretch a bit more...
I was really hoping for something 27", for gaming largely (it's 90% of my pc use). So obviously refresh rate is paramount (read some stuff on g-synch, is that actually any good?). Is the previous advice on this thread still true or have things changed in the last 8 months?
Thanks for any help you can give
Definitely go for a korean 27". I myself am using a 23" LG IPS worth like 160Euros brand new (1080p) and it is simply best purchase I've done in ages. It is OC'd up to 78Hz from 60 stock and it performs excellent. Ran it through various frame skipping tests and benchmarks and passed with flying colors. The model number is 23MP65 so you can look at the bigger sizes on the same model range if you want.

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
I have a 42" Sharp that came off the wall when we upgraded to a 51". I find it grainy at full screen, but still a good pitcher. dropped the res. to 1390/7 hundred something and in window, and it smooths right out. it should be better after i upgrade to a 4Gb card.

Czechmate

Admiral
Feb 16, 2015
RSI Handle
Czechmate8
Had a dual set up for a while. One 40 inch and a 32, but having two big screens cut my fps by a good bit so I took down the 32.

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Do you have the hardware to drive 4K? I hear that even solo Titan Xs have trouble keeping up 50+ FPS on the latest games. You will probably have to 980 SLI or 290X2 to power all those beautiful pixels :p

Personally (and many others) have found 1440P to be the sweet spot in terms of affordability and performance without compromise.

Qnix 27' 1440P Monitor Review:
The one in video is glossy, I got matte :P

Forgot your password?