Montoya answers the Mantis Q&A from Spectrum

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
From doing a quick search it looks like this is the fourth exclusive CIG has given Newsweek since December 2018, but this is definitely the most noticed so far.

If you like this approach I recommend searching for 'Newsweek Star Citizen' to increase the search rating and clicks to those articles.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Thank you, think you're pretty much spot on here. 🍻

Reactions: Blind Owl

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Confused, how big is space? Really, what are the odds you are going to interdict someone in warp (outside of gate- like eve)... I never leave leveski or grim hex the same way. Even if I did, a little variance would transfer into thousands of miles. I do not see how interdiction can catch random people out of the "blue". There are way too many variables, and I think CIG is doing a disservice to the game by this. Camping gates, ok... but just randomly, no way in hell - reality.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Confused, how big is space? Really, what are the odds you are going to interdict someone in warp (outside of gate- like eve)... I never leave leveski or grim hex the same way. Even if I did, a little variance would transfer into thousands of miles. I do not see how interdiction can catch random people out of the "blue". There are way too many variables, and I think CIG is doing a disservice to the game by this. Camping gates, ok... but just randomly, no way in hell - reality.
We had a conversation on here a while ago about this - I personally think considering all the points in the solar system are moving, there will be one intersecting point where if you have your pirate maths right you'll be able to yoink dudes with relatively little problem.

Also I believe it's supposed to have a sphere of influence of about 20,000km...? That initially sounds daft, but if you think about it [theorycraft ahoy] if you think about it, Quantum is just about compressing space so if the QED warped space into a cone they would fly to you:

View: https://youtu.be/T0uwtmHt0v4?t=23

Last edited:

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Here is an example... remember your land nav days... if you are off a couple degrees on the compass it makes a world of difference.

Going to the sun, you'd miss by over 1.6 million miles (nearly twice the diameter of the sun).

Now if the computer is programmed for everyone to land in the same spot... that is problematic in itself on not very computer sciency (or creative)... but there should be no way the mantis can hit something unless it can stop anything coming within 10000 mi or 16093 km. Drive 10000 miles and tell me if this is realistic.

New York to San Francisco is 2904 mi. Just to add a little scale.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Here is an example... remember your land nav days... if you are off a couple degrees on the compass it makes a world of difference.

Going to the sun, you'd miss by over 1.6 million miles (nearly twice the diameter of the sun).

Now if the computer is programmed for everyone to land in the same spot... that is problematic in itself on not very computer sciency (or creative)... but there should be no way the mantis can hit something unless it can stop anything coming within 10000 mi or 16093 km. Drive 10000 miles and tell me if this is realistic.

New York to San Francisco is 2904 mi. Just to add a little scale.
It depends on if you are using the departure angle or the arrival angle. I'll have to dig around if I can find the maps but it showed that a 10k bubble near an arrival spot even if it was over 100k away would still capture a lot of lanes coming into that point given CIG's current implementation of quantum traveling being a direct line to the center of the target location. Even worse when you factor in lots of locations only have one vector in due to the way quantum jumps require one to jump to the largest object first.

Forgot your password?