Montoya explains staggered development in a way we can all understand

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
We are looking at you UI team ʕ; •`ᴥ•´ʔ

Overall i had the impression that they already are doing staggered development, maybe not to that extent.
I guess what people have been missing is not an explanation about staggered development. One might get the impression that they thought "lol delays, lets take a random argument to chill people".

Pretty sure no one thinks SD will speed things up, actually people are concerned that giving teams more time to polish stuff will slow things down. Also its an statement to stuff they claimed before (simplified) "early backer feedback is important for the development process".

So you need to add that after the pizza has been served to the costumer he provides feedback to the pizza and returns it if he doesn't like it and gets another free pizza.
Great point! This is one my main concerns with this staggered development.
We used to see stuff after roughly 3 months in the making, and could give feedback. If it was crap the way they did it, like hover mode just now, the only wasted 3 months on a half assed implementation. Now what will happen after 6 months? Wi they just go back and spend another 3-6 month redesignin the feature, or are they so confident that they think it will always be good enough and just roll with whatever they made, even if we don't like it at all?

Tldr.: this will delay the feedback cycle significantly , will they just ignore us from now on, or waste even more time and money?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
<snip>
Also its an statement to stuff they claimed before (simplified) "early backer feedback is important for the development process".
<snip>
One of my dreams (besides, retiring early, winning the lottery, etc.) is to buy CR a beer and ask him stuff like, "How much of this was planned ahead (i.e., you knew when you did the Kickstarter) and how much of what he did was actually in response to meeting the stretch goals / listening to our feedback."

Example: the Hadrian system, home to a metric shit-ton of unexploded mines, was the $4.8 million dollar stretch goal...so, the idea of the system, the game mechanic of mines, and a mine-sweeper in SQ42 and SC was in his plans, on some level, back then even!

🤔

(I think I know the answer...once he got to a certain level of funding, he knew he could raise even more money, and that he could take a certain amount of time to build the game he always wanted to make...)

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Thank you, Glorious Leader!

If you could explain Agile with pizza I'd appreciate it!
So you want a pizza. You sort of know what a pizza is but not sure what is the process of making a pizza to eat. But thats not going to stop you and so you start the process.

Welcome to Agile where the goal is fuzzy and the scope is clearly not even thought about but there is already a timeline. In this case, you need to make a pizza before you starve to death.

After all how hard can it be, your sure there are code segments I mean ingredient lists you could borrow on Stackoverflow.

And so you start you grab some flour and pour it into a bowl.
Then you add some beer as beer makes everything better.
It really is a sticky bubbly mess but it seems to be shapable and so you spread it out. Then put it into the oven to bake. But what comes out is not very tasty as reported by your QA tester.
And so you start again.
Days pass as you try different amounts of mixing, different liquids, different flours, different oven temperatures and cooking time. Each iteration gets you closer to a pizza crust that will work for your pizza. Someone on Stackoverflow suggests that yeast is needed and that it should rest for hours between the mixing and cooking. Someone else mentions that beer also has yeast and so it should work too. Hopefully, you'll finish the crust by the end of your two-week sprint and then can pick up the next task which is pizza sauce.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So you want a pizza. You sort of know what a pizza is but not sure what is the process of making a pizza to eat. But thats not going to stop you and so you start the process.

Welcome to Agile where the goal is fuzzy and the scope is clearly not even thought about but there is already a timeline. In this case, you need to make a pizza before you starve to death.

After all how hard can it be, your sure there are code segments I mean ingredient lists you could borrow on Stackoverflow.

And so you start you grab some flour and pour it into a bowl.
Then you add some beer as beer makes everything better.
It really is a sticky bubbly mess but it seems to be shapable and so you spread it out. Then put it into the oven to bake. But what comes out is not very tasty as reported by your QA tester.
And so you start again.
Days pass as you try different amounts of mixing, different liquids, different flours, different oven temperatures and cooking time. Each iteration gets you closer to a pizza crust that will work for your pizza. Someone on Stackoverflow suggests that yeast is needed and that it should rest for hours between the mixing and cooking. Someone else mentions that beer also has yeast and so it should work too. Hopefully, you'll finish the crust by the end of your two-week sprint and then can pick up the next task which is pizza sauce.
Uh... okay that seems pritty pizza-simple...

What if you try to apply Agile to a production process that isn't software, where the staff aren't creating the things they are working with? Like, for example, a car manufacturing line that already has the goal and scope clearly defined? But the supply of car parts is unreliable and half the customers only give you the deadline a day or two after they requested the work started.

Asking for a friend... called... WaffWaffPobTaste...

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Not sure how Agile can be applied to the assembly line of car manufacturing if they are not able to create or evaluate the current flow. Agile is all about quick cycles of planing implementing and evaluation and works well when the steps to get to the goal are not well known just a general direction. But if you have no ability to analyze, define and develop and are instead simply delivering then the process is not helpful.

Of course, the methodology can be easily applied to line workers if they can analyze their part in the machine, define and develop new ways of improving performance.

Image result for agile methodology

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Not sure how Agile can be applied to the assembly line of car manufacturing if they are not able to create or evaluate the current flow. Agile is all about quick cycles of planing implementing and evaluation and works well when the steps to get to the goal are not well known just a general direction. But if you have no ability to analyze, define and develop and are instead simply delivering then the process is not helpful.

Of course, the methodology can be easily applied to line workers if they can analyze their part in the machine, define and develop new ways of improving performance.

Image result for agile methodology
Cheers! I'll pass that on to WaffWaff.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
would that be waff as in waffles or waff as in something else?
Interesting story behind that, but one WaffWaff tells best so I'll leave that for them to divulge if they ever join TEST, but long (very long) story short the first Waff stands for "Waft" and the second Waff stands for "Waffles" so you were right in both cases, Their name in full is actually:

Waft Waffles Poblano Mild Green Chile Pepper Taste (the third)

But for bervity sake they go by WaffWaffPobTaste. Apparently it's a very common name in some parts of the world.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Finally watched the whole vid, pretty good explana...
Wait, what???
EGG IN PIZZA DOUGH???
What kind of hellish alternate dimension pizza is this?
You have entered... the Twi-TEST Zone.

Forgot your password?