Most well rounded ship?

xATLASx

Captain
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
xATLASx
With the impending annual ship sale coming up, I wanted to get the communities opinion on what ship I should get next. right now I just have the starting Mustang and Aurora (I mean, the Aurora is of course legit amazing). I'm wondering if there is a ship that can both handle itself in a space fight, but also move some cargo and/or carry a land vehicle?
I know I am new here but if I had to choose one for what I have heard the Cutlass is super competitive and a 'swiss knife" of a ship. I want one, a Prospector and a 2nd fighter. probably a Saber. I already purchased an Arrow today! =) I will stay with mid to small ships for now. Maybe a Connie or a Valkyrie later.

Max Caliber

Commander
Nov 2, 2018
RSI Handle
Max Caliber
Well looks like I am going to pickup an Avenger Titan for now. I was hoping for better prices during this event so I'm going to have to wait on picking up the Cutlass. I may upgrade my Mustang Alpha to the Cutlass later to help get it at a better price.

Reactions: Ammorn and Deroth

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The Reliant was billed as a top-shelf starter ship, same as the Avenger. It is an upgrade to the Avenger so far as crew number. It's the only starter ship that can take a crew of two. It is however fragile, difficult to fly well since it rotates very slowly on the pitch and yaw and has terrible Y and Z axis acceleration. With one good axis to rotate and straif on it is possible to fly it well, but it's hard to see why you would choose it over the Avenger unless you wanted the second seat or some scan functions the Avenger doesn't offer. It requires a better pilot than any of the other starter ships (maybe any other ship!), so there is some noteriety that goes with being a great Reliant pilot.

Originally it was slated for more cargo than the Avenger and now it has half as much, and originally it had a bed. The changes did not go well for it. They have marked it as now taking S3 weapons whereas originally it mostly held S1s, but they removed all sign of the 10 S1 missiles from the Tana, so who knows what they plan. I think we get new Reliants on the next patch so we'll see. IMHO, they nerfed it very badly when they took the bed out and designed around short range only. Lets hope they fix it. With only 4 units cargo, that bird needs to offer much, much more than it does right now.

If a team of two can work together preplanned to use the higher straif and rotation available for roll and Y axis, and the second seat has a gunner who knows what the pilot will do, it is almost a poor man's Vanguard or Defender, neither of which carry cargo.
With the Avenger carrying two size 3 and a Size 4 weapon mounts, without a major rework the only thing the reliant has going for it is two seats.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Avenger variants are the cargo hauling, the combat oriented and the EMP one.

EDITED.
Avenger is light cargo, bounty hunting or EMP. All of which are on a heavily gunned fighter. I doubt the EMP will be removable, but the cells in the Stalker are, based on last year's Squadron 42 slice.

Forgot your password?