Most well rounded ship?

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Depend on your budget...
Avenger Titan < Reliant < Cutlass / Freelancer < Connies < Phoenix < 600i < Valkyrie < ...

Not sure about the avenger. Up to freelancer AFAIK can carry bykes and such. Connie’s and larger Rovers, etc.
Please explain how the Reliant as an upgrade from the Avenger?

It is my understanding the Reliant is MISC's starter ship to compete with the Aurora and Mustang.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
One other that wasn't mentioned, but that is probably due to it feeling like abandonware from CIG. The Retaliator, with its choice in modules. Granted it isn't really a solo ship, but then again neither are most of the ships on this list.

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper

It is my understanding the Reliant is MISC's starter ship to compete with the Aurora and Mustang.
The Reliant was billed as a top-shelf starter ship, same as the Avenger. It is an upgrade to the Avenger so far as crew number. It's the only starter ship that can take a crew of two. It is however fragile, difficult to fly well since it rotates very slowly on the pitch and yaw and has terrible Y and Z axis acceleration. With one good axis to rotate and straif on it is possible to fly it well, but it's hard to see why you would choose it over the Avenger unless you wanted the second seat or some scan functions the Avenger doesn't offer. It requires a better pilot than any of the other starter ships (maybe any other ship!), so there is some noteriety that goes with being a great Reliant pilot.

Originally it was slated for more cargo than the Avenger and now it has half as much, and originally it had a bed. The changes did not go well for it. They have marked it as now taking S3 weapons whereas originally it mostly held S1s, but they removed all sign of the 10 S1 missiles from the Tana, so who knows what they plan. I think we get new Reliants on the next patch so we'll see. IMHO, they nerfed it very badly when they took the bed out and designed around short range only. Lets hope they fix it. With only 4 units cargo, that bird needs to offer much, much more than it does right now.

If a team of two can work together preplanned to use the higher straif and rotation available for roll and Y axis, and the second seat has a gunner who knows what the pilot will do, it is almost a poor man's Vanguard or Defender, neither of which carry cargo.

Last edited:

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane

No, Reliant is a two seater (can be used solo, of course), (AFAIK) have higher cargo capabilities, alien tech, two flight modes, and supposedly higher customization than the avenger titan. (advertised as that you can plug different things and tools in your hangar space). It is pretty and CIG is reworking it. CIG is going to make flight ready all the variants, and the variants are much more interesting than most or all smaller ships variants, as you have the cargo area, one to record, other for scanning, and the combat oriented one. Avenger variants are the cargo hauling, the combat oriented and the EMP one.

CIG decided to make it a premium starter package too.

Current stats show reliant like being much more maneuverable (two flight modes, lighter, much more thrusters and the thrusters are fixed) and I am almost sure it will be a less sturdy that Avengers. Reliants have double the fuel tanks.

Avenger have like double the weaponry, but the avanger stats have been improved. I suspect/hope that reliant weapons will get a boost, specially in the combat oriented one.

Ah, I have just seen that supposedly reliant mako have an smaller cargo area, but I think that it is not right It was announced as the small ship with the biggest cargo area, so I would espect it to have maybe 12SCUs. (I think it had 12 in the past when other small ships had 8 and so). But who knowa, maybe CIG intentions have changed with the ship.

As the rework is comming... we will have fresh news.

EDITED.

Last edited:

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
If you want not to purchase a connie or bigger, What about just the Freelancer MIS?

Stats page shows a cargo area of 28 and it have plenty of weaponry and missiles.

And being a freelancer, supposedly you could mix it with parts of other freelancer variants. (unless CIG have decided not to go this as they advertised in the past).

EDITED:

When I started analyzing my first investment in the game, when I had not planned to spend more than 150$, I liked this ship much and I could not purchased it because it being limited (tiem limited only, but I did not knew that when I started). It is obtainable in the anniversary and it is close!

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
One other that wasn't mentioned, but that is probably due to it feeling like abandonware from CIG. The Retaliator, with its choice in modules. Granted it isn't really a solo ship, but then again neither are most of the ships on this list.
Oh, could be a great ship if CIG gives it a bit of love. Hmmm, Do not know if the cargo area have a lift added or not, so put a vehicle inside could be impossible.

Max Caliber

Commander
Nov 2, 2018
RSI Handle
Max Caliber
The participation and feedback on this thread has been awesome! thanks to all. I still don't know which way I'm going to go when the sale hits, but it will probably be either the Avenger Titan or the Cutlass black. If the deals are good enough perhaps both...

I would really love to participate in a multi crew event sometime soon too, so hit me up if you want to get that going.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
The participation and feedback on this thread has been awesome! thanks to all. I still don't know which way I'm going to go when the sale hits, but it will probably be either the Avenger Titan or the Cutlass black. If the deals are good enough perhaps both...

I would really love to participate in a multi crew event sometime soon too, so hit me up if you want to get that going.
It is my understanding the most reliable way of participating in a crew event is to be on the TEST Discord.

Fanus

Captain
Feb 16, 2018
RSI Handle
FanusTheron
With the impending annual ship sale coming up, I wanted to get the communities opinion on what ship I should get next. right now I just have the starting Mustang and Aurora (I mean, the Aurora is of course legit amazing). I'm wondering if there is a ship that can both handle itself in a space fight, but also move some cargo and/or carry a land vehicle?
For me it is the Cutlass Black

Grimm_Reaper

Space Marshal
May 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Reaper
Cutlass Black (I'd suggest getting a Red or Blue and enjoying the black loaner.)
Freelancer (rework might make it indispensable)
Connie Phoenix (more armored, rear turret will be in a later update)
Maybe consider the 300i rework when its out though it cant carry any land vehicles.
I want to say carrack but if you need something that can handle itself in a fight, Valkyrie, Reedemer? or A2 if cost is not a factor.

Reactions: Ammorn and Deroth

Grimm_Reaper

Space Marshal
May 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Reaper
The Carrack is the cheapest ship to include Capital class scan. For that reason and with the modular sections devoted to transport, it has a huge appeal for a freighter. The Polaris is faster and also includes Cap scan, but will haul far, far less.

If you're counting on your active scans to keep you safe (which is a good strategy, IMHO) the Carrack has many uses. I think it will be key when we find out what will fit in that hangar. If a Sabre will fit in there, the Carrack is suddenly mighty. But what if it only fits a Gladius? It is still pretty friggin' mighty!

People don't get what a key thing it is to have a hangar. Has got nothing to do with how many ships will fit in at once. You can fly them alongside. The issue is what you can refit and refuel. If you can fit a Sabre, you can fit ten Sabres, one at a time.
The carrack only has large scanners has this changed?

DarkSnake

Space Marshal
May 5, 2017
RSI Handle
DarkSnake
The Connie Pheonix, only because I have one and it has a bar. If you can get drunk who cares if you're productive?

But in all seriousness probably the Freelancer/Cutlass for the price.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The carrack only has large scanners has this changed?
It was slated for large scanner back when they were the largest. CIG decided to add a Cap class afterward and never changed the spec on the Carrack, but the design was from the start for it to provide cap class scan, so it is a safe bet I think it will have this. Otherwise there is little reason to choose it over the Polaris. The Polaris also has Cap scan, but it costs twice as much.

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane

If you are going to expend that quantity, you could check the Mercury, lol :slight_smile:

Anyway, congrats :)

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Oh, could be a great ship if CIG gives it a bit of love. Hmmm, Do not know if the cargo area have a lift added or not, so put a vehicle inside could be impossible.
Both Front and Rear Cargo Modules have, according to the module page, lifts. No idea what they will look like after the rework.

Edited to add.
One point, any vehicles would have to load from the front of the rear compartment or the rear of the front compartment meaning unloading both at the same time, plus the personnel elevators being in the same place, potential for serious traffic jams. The Ursa should fit in the front, possibly in the rear.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?