My god, what have I done?

rogesh

Space Marshal
Oct 25, 2014
RSI Handle
rogesh
I only plan to add a second graphics card double my ram and an i7 maybe so around 800? Idk how cheap the card will be

Kersakov

Rear Admiral
Donor
Apr 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Kersakov
I built my PC last year for about £1800 (Uhh $2500 ish..) The PU coming out is going to be my excuse to build another. Probably similar money but I won't be replacing the Case, RAM or PSU.

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
I'm wondering, those who have pledged/spent more than $1500 on Ships and packages, how much have you spent on your current gaming PC or how much do you plan to budget for a new one for release?

Just curious, I'm happy folks are supporting the game so much.

:)
Fortunately I'm not all about 4k gaming, etc, so not super expensive. I recycle many components as I can such as HDD, PSU, case, etc, so it is hard to say for sure. For example, a good PSU and case will last you 2-3 "waves" of upgrading; that's about 200-300 saved. Operating systems, too, if you can stand to not be on the bleeding edge of OS technology, although these days, I'm not so sure the bleeding edge is necessarily the best thing for gaming. There IS DirectX 12, though, so maybe subjective. IMHO, as with all things ;)

Ballpark is currently about $1600 on NewEgg. basically: i5-4690k, 16Gb RAM, GeForce GTX 970, a couple of SSD, etc. I also have a multi monitor setup with the TripleHeadToGo device, so that adds a little bit to the tag.

I can run SC currently at high settings around 40-60 fps average. Lots of movement will cause some lag, but not really that noticeable. Despite Star Citizen performance, I can run pretty much everything else (that I enjoy playing) at highest settings with max fps. I'm sure people have their reasons, but I don't really get all this hype about $10,000 extreme PC latest hardware with SLI, etc... Honestly think that people would be surprised with how much performance they can get using "mainstream" components. Tom's Hardware website's quarterly "build marathon" contest was an amazing resource for my most recent builds.

Example: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/newegg-system-builder-marathon-q3-2015-gaming-pc,4305.html

At any rate, I am planning to buy an Oculus and upgrade to an i7 within a year; maybe bump up the RAM another 16 Gb, but that would only be used to host various dedicated servers & other "pet projects" in the background. EDIT: actually I notice that I'm running Home Premium x64, so max RAM is 16Gb. Won't be upgrading that, then... Lesson: make sure your build sustains compatibilities with limitation maximums such as RAM! That goes for CPU, motherboard, OS, ... Good luck!

Last edited:

Liquor_and_ores

Space Marshal
Jun 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Liquor_and_Ores
i changed my mobo/cpu and added new case fans( more cooling, and they are quieter) In theory i could prob get away with a new GFX card /ram and still be good in a year or so, 4k gaming is not a thing with me just yet.

Depending on black friday/boxing day sales I am going to pick up a 500 gig+ SSD for my computer.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
To be honest my rig can be rebuilt for about $1000 :) thats excluding monitors and what not though of course!

Gucci

Space Marshal
Nov 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Ras-al-Ghul
I too am looking at my CC bill and thinking how the hell im going to keep this from the wife.......pray for me

Canadian_Bacon

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
Canadian_Bacon
Hit Grand Admiral myself recently. I remember back in the Ol'days of early 2013, when I said the Rear Admiral package is all I need. I am telling myself now that I do not have to buy anything else. Though there is a p-72 calling me for a CCU in my hangar though, fates why must you tempt me?

*edited for my terrible grammar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gucci

intolerant_jerk

Rear Admiral
Apr 29, 2015
RSI Handle
intolerant_jerk
Wow, and here I questioned my sanity because I ordered the BUKs for my Vanguard.

Still not sure I need the Vanguard, Connie, Ghost, and Hull A, but at least I haven't caved and gone bigger.

Bishop

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Macr0
Also feel slightly guilty in the ISAA sense :oops:, but not nearly as much as others in this thread :p.

Thought I am ok with an Aurora. Than I melted and upgraded to an Avenger.
Once the Hull-B concept came out I had to have one.
Now with the CCU ... going from Avenger to Freelancer Max seemed somehow not like a big step anymore.

Hope that I can refrain from any additional pledges hence, the bigger expense ahead for me will actually not be on the ship but on Hardware side.
Ocolus Rift + Full Saiteck Star Citizen Hotas will be an expense for which I probably should start to save.

Haggle

Commander
Donor
Nov 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Haggle
I'm genuinely excited for the TEST Idris fleet that has inevitably been created. We'll win by crashing our overwhelming numbers head-first into our targets, also known as the baneling bust technique.

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
Here's a couple of quick thoughts, but my last point will hammer it all home (humorously tongue in cheek, but suspiciously kind of makes sense...)

After a couple of years, MMORPG subscriptions like WoW really add up, so $1000 is kind of breakeven for five years of play, and this game ought to last at LEAST that much. Secondly, you can say that it is an "investment" heh. For something like an Idris, once the game goes live, there may be others interested in getting their own on the grey market. Who's to say you can't flip it...? Heck you might even come out ahead.

Lastly, let's look at this in terms of utility... Going out to eat, a $10 meal lasts about 6 hours (until you have to eat again); that's a utility of $1.60 per hour. Going out to watch a new movie costs about $9.00 for an hour and a half of entertainment; that's a whopping $6.00 per hour of entertainment! (I *HATE* going out to the movies!!) So let's look at the price efficiency of your ship as it relates to going out to watch a movie every weekend or so: at $1000 would be about be about 166 movies to break even with our worst case. Every weekend? Two years. Will you play this game more than once a week for the next two years? What about the enjoyment you are bringing other players as crew?

Really, when you think about it, $1000 is your smart investment in the next two years for this virtual playground. OH! Playgrounds... let's say you get "your kids" a modest playground on amazon (ASIN B00ID8VU1Y) for $230. Of course they play the shit out of that playground over the next month or two (let's say an hour per weekend-day for two months), but after that? Maybe once or twice a month for half an hour... (Total 78 hours for 5 years) REALLY? Is that what you want to do with your money, Mom? You have a utility of $2.94 per hour. You would need to play around with your fellow TESTies every "week" for 2-4 hours for 2-3 years to break even with the utility of a children's playground, here--is that reasonable?

I think you done good, sir. You are an economical God, who knows a smart investment when he see it. Congrats, buddy :) now, you just need to set aside $20 - $50 per month until you pay yourself back. Oh, and no buying playgrounds or watching movies on the weekend; that moeny has already been spent ;)

So in summary:
$10.00 meal / 6 hours = $1.67 per hour in utility (lower $ per hour is better)
$9.00 movie / 1.5 hours = $6.00 per hour in utility (very expensive!)
$230 playground / 5 years = $46 per year / 12 months per year / 1 hour per month = $3.83 per hour in utility
$1000 / 52 weeks = $19.23 per week / 2 years = $9.61 per week per year over two years / 4 hours per week = $2.40 per hour in utility
HELL, people, I'm going for gold, here!
$1.50 beer / 30 minute drink = $3.00 per hour utility
IT IS MORE EFFICIENT to buy this internet SPACESHIP than it is to DRINK a $1.50 bottle of beer, let alone the $5+ imported stuff from the bar! *facepalm*

Disclaimer: I'm just an armchair economist, so feel free to call me an idiot for making this joke. ;) This is why economists don't get invited to parties. And don't get me started on min/maxing weighted averages in the Star Citizen XML data! Shopping for a refrigerator was a NIGHTMARE for my wife, but bliss to me. All the capacity, cubic inches, number of shelves, power requirements, number of LEDs, years in the warranty.... OMG I wish I could get paid to do this for a living *sigh*

Last edited:

Liquor_and_ores

Space Marshal
Jun 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Liquor_and_Ores
Here's a couple of quick thoughts, but my last point will hammer it all home (humorously tongue in cheek, but suspiciously kind of makes sense...)

After a couple of years, MMORPG subscriptions like WoW really add up, so $1000 is kind of breakeven for five years of play, and this game ought to last at LEAST that much. Secondly, you can say that it is an "investment" heh. For something like an Idris, once the game goes live, there may be others interested in getting their own on the grey market. Who's to say you can't flip it...? Heck you might even come out ahead.

Lastly, let's look at this in terms of utility... Going out to eat, a $10 meal lasts about 6 hours (until you have to eat again); that's a utility of $1.60 per hour. Going out to watch a new movie costs about $9.00 for an hour and a half of entertainment; that's a whopping $6.00 per hour of entertainment! (I *HATE* going out to the movies!!) So let's look at the price efficiency of your ship as it relates to going out to watch a movie every weekend or so: at $1000 would be about be about 166 movies to break even with our worst case. Every weekend? Two years. Will you play this game more than once a week for the next two years? What about the enjoyment you are bringing other players as crew?

Really, when you think about it, $1000 is your smart investment in the next two years for this virtual playground. OH! Playgrounds... let's say you get "your kids" a modest playground on amazon (ASIN B00ID8VU1Y) for $230. Of course they play the shit out of that playground over the next month or two (let's say an hour per weekend-day for two months), but after that? Maybe once or twice a month for half an hour... (Total 78 hours for 5 years) REALLY? Is that what you want to do with your money, Mom? You have a utility of $2.94 per hour. You would need to play around with your fellow TESTies every "week" for 2-4 hours for 2-3 years to break even with the utility of a children's playground, here--is that reasonable?

I think you done good, sir. You are an economical God, who knows a smart investment when he see it. Congrats, buddy :) now, you just need to set aside $20 - $50 per month until you pay yourself back. Oh, and no buying playgrounds or watching movies on the weekend; that moeny has already been spent ;)

So in summary:
$10.00 meal / 6 hours = $1.67 per hour in utility (lower $ per hour is better)
$9.00 movie / 1.5 hours = $6.00 per hour in utility (very expensive!)
$230 playground / 5 years = $46 per year / 12 months per year / 1 hour per month = $3.83 per hour in utility
$1000 / 52 weeks = $19.23 per week / 2 years = $9.61 per week per year over two years / 4 hours per week = $2.40 per hour in utility
HELL, people, I'm going for gold, here!
$1.50 beer / 30 minute drink = $3.00 per hour utility
IT IS MORE EFFICIENT to buy this internet SPACESHIP than it is to DRINK a $1.50 bottle of beer, let alone the $5+ imported stuff from the bar! *facepalm*

Disclaimer: I'm just an armchair economist, so feel free to call me an idiot for making this joke... ;) ...and this is why economists don't get invited to parties... And don't get me started on min/maxing weighted averages in the Star Citizen XML data! Shopping for a refrigerator was a NIGHTMARE for my wife, but bliss to me. All the capacity, cubic inches, number of shelves, power requirements, number of LEDs, years in the warranty.... OMG I wish I could get paid to do this for a living *sigh*

mental gymnastics is how I gradualy became a Armada pack owner :o

Reptar Khan

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Quail_Girl
I'm genuinely excited for the TEST Idris fleet that has inevitably been created. We'll win by crashing our overwhelming numbers head-first into our targets, also known as the baneling bust technique.
Yes each TEST Idris is equipped with x4 drunk Aurora Torpedos for massive tears and winning!

Forgot your password?