My take on a Fan-made, completely in-game Star Citizen Trailer [Alpha 2.4]

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
100% in-game fan-made gameplay trailer for Star Citizen with footage spanning versions Alpha 2.1 to 2.4.

I decided to take a stab at making my version of a gameplay trailer for Star Citizen. All the footage was shot 100% in-game by me in a variety of locations and situations spanning versions Alpha 2.1 to 2.4 (because that's the footage I wanted to use) in an attempt to show as much of the game as possible in a short span of time.
I really want to know what you all think of this. Obviously, there are framerate issues and graphical glitches and I can only record in 1080p... but I tried to the best with what I could get for now. The goal was to create an exciting and intriguing video composed entirely of gameplay footage that would encourage non-backers to take a closer look but also entertain veteran players who have seen it all. There's always more I could cram in but this seemed like a good chunk. I have no actual training in video and audio editing but I'm trying to learn. So please, honest and constructive feedback... I can take it.

My idea moving forward is to remake the trailer after several patches since a lot of this will change making my current video obsolete. As the universe grows, I'd like to create trailers for specific roles or places or styles of play or etc...

-------------
Portions of this video were captured using this technique: "HOW TO get a HUDless view for screenshots and videos "
-------------
The clips are set to music by Pedro Camacho that were composed officially for various aspects of the Star Citizen project. Some may be old or works-in-progress.
-------------

Here's the Community Hub post on the RSI website

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Wowo brilliant!!!!

That freelance hyperspace with people getting into seats getting into bed and doors closing ready for jump made me do naughty things

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
Damn man... what do you do for a living? If it isn't something in graphic design or film, you need to change your day job. You have an eye for this stuff.
Ha, thanks! Yeah, graphic designer/web developer by day and photographer hobbyist on the side. I have absolutely no proper video/film editing experience or training. I dabble in things from time to time to get a better understanding of how other people do their jobs around me.

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
Wowo brilliant!!!!

That freelance hyperspace with people getting into seats getting into bed and doors closing ready for jump made me do naughty things
Yeah, that was captured completely by accident. Actually, none of the shots involving other people were staged or scripted. They were captured as I played. I saw that Freelancer on the pads at Olisar and saw two guys running up the ramp. I was EVA floating above so I decided to try to dive into the door before it closed. But as soon as I got up to full EVA boost speed, the door was closing. I redirected to the turret knowing I could sneak in there (because you can access most/all turret USE functions from the outside). I slammed into the roof and started the turret activation just before they left the pad. The rest is what you see in the trailer... once I saw what I was recording, I knew I had to use it for something big. I just wish I could have gotten a closer shot on the action in the cockpit because that, to me, sums up a lot of the promise of Star Citizen.

Check out the images he posted the other day... they are awesome.
Thanks! A lot of the clips in this trailer were taking while I was taking screenshots. I just haven't posted all of them yet.

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
Excellent stuff. I was impressed by the smooth panning. Is that something that required post-processing or just the way that it came out?
Thanks for reminding me... I meant to include a brief description of that in the video description.

The only shot that had post processing on it was the head-on shot of the Freelancer with the guys in the cockpit moving around. For that shot, I was in the turret, recording in 3rd person view. I wasn't recording with the intention of using it like this, but I almost always record my gameplay JUST IN CASE something cool happens. Once I saw what I had captured, I new I wanted to use it... but because of how the 3rd person camera works from the turret, the camera was at a considerable distance. So, I enlarged the shot slightly in order to better show what was happening in the cockpit.

For all the pan shots, it was a combination of things depending on the direction of the pan. For the completely side scrolling ones like the Map/Ship Request Room on Olisar and walking by the observation windows in Olisar... those were me in the crouch position (to get lower to the ground and force my character into a slower movement pace) while using the HUD-less camera trick. The hardest part with those was lining myself up so that I was completely parallel to the wall so that it was a clean pass. Once in position, I just held the left or right movement key (A or D) on the keyboard.

For the more complex panning with multiple directions or panning+movement, I used the dual analog thumbsticks on my gamepad. That allowed me very fine, variable movement control. I could speed up or slow down smoothly. If there's no HUD in the shot, I was using the HUD-less trick and either kneeling, in prone, or EVA.

Reactions: Dalarast

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Will also say you did an amazing job. Just using cut items like you did (with the footage not just recorded with the intent of making a video) played it perfectly. The only negative to the entire video was the lack of crashing into the sun and lack of beer or alcohol use....

I expect to see more. Don't limit my expectations......

I mean keep up the good work!

Reactions: mr-hasgaha

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
Will also say you did an amazing job. Just using cut items like you did (with the footage not just recorded with the intent of making a video) played it perfectly. The only negative to the entire video was the lack of crashing into the sun and lack of beer or alcohol use....

I expect to see more. Don't limit my expectations......

I mean keep up the good work!
I done messed up! Wait... but what if I was drunk DURING the making of the video? Does that count? Crashing into the sun is a little trickier.

Forgot your password?