NaffNaff's theory on Faster Than Light travel and crime solving.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Damn those laws. I say we rewrite them to suit our needs and how we think they should work.
There will be loopholes and exploits. What we have now is just the easy PhysicsMeta.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The other issue is the size of the lens.

Resolving power is limited by the wavelength of light used (lambda) and the aperture of the telescope on the satellite (D).

Θ=1.22λD

Combine that with the minimum altitude of the satellite (h), to get the minimum feature size resolvable on the ground (I'll call it x), while looking straight down.

x=1.22λhD
It's even worse than this.
As long as it wasn't cloudy.
I'll have whatever he's drinking.
. . .we would need a mirror the size of

D = 1.22 L/θ
L = 6 um Avg infrared ( 6 X 1/1,000,000) = 0.000006 meters

s/R = θ
R = 1080000000000 (meters light travels in one hour)
s = 0.1 meter (10 cm resolution keeping with the 10cm resolution used earlier but in this case using infrared wavelengths which are longer)

It gives us a telescope with a mirror 79,056,000 meters in size.
Like I said, worse than this. Since the aperture is so large, it actually needs to be concave so that the sensors are all the same distance from the subject. So the telescope has to be "parabolozed" or flat to about 1/10 the wavelength, which at visible frequencies is very, very small. So 79 million meters, curved precisely and flat to about 38 nm.

Or you can cheat and find something much more sensitive to low light than the eye, like a CMOS or especially a quantum dot enhanced CMOS. If you want a pseudo-science explanation for how you get this crazy result, you could posit a Qdot sensor millions of times more sensitive than the human eye. That would give you workable numbers and a still large telescope, but one that would fit on the Endevour.

Forgot your password?