Need A New Computer? Check Here First!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Ok, so it doesn't cost significantly more because it's designed specifically for that bracket then?

Thank for all your help Marc. :)

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
buuuuiiiiildddd it :slight_smile:
I have to respectfully disagree, right now is a really weird time. Prices for individual parts are crazy expensive (but coming down).

Companies (like Dell, HP, & others) that buy in bulk get significant discounts and can offer rigs that sometimes are much cheaper than you could buy on your own.

I just bought a rig on sale...i7-8700k, water cooled (240mm), 16GB RAM, 1080Ti (EVGA), EVGA FTW motherboard...I priced it, and it came out at USD 1792; I was able to get it on sale for $1799...and my pricing didn't include the thermal paste, so yeah, I got it cheaper than I could have built it at the time.

Reactions: Blind Owl

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Ehh, GPUs are almost back to normal.

RAM is still ridiculous though. I was looking into a 32GB kit, then found it was ***only*** $450 ;-;
A colleague of me paid €357 for 32GB DDR4 2666 in 2015.
I paid €157 for 32GB DDR4 2133, Januari 2016.
Now it still is arround €400....
Just crazy.

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
A colleague of me paid €357 for 32GB DDR4 2666 in 2015.
I paid €157 for 32GB DDR4 2133, Januari 2016.
Now it still is arround €400....
Just crazy.
The worst part is that with my build, to upgrade to 32 gigs, I need to trash my current 2x8 and get 2x16. Thanks to my clunky (but absolutely gorgeous) AIO, the first DIMM slot is blocked out, so I can't do 4x8.

And I know I could technically turn off the logo and turn the pump sideways...but it wouldn't look as cool... ;-;

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
The worst part is that with my build, to upgrade to 32 gigs, I need to trash my current 2x8 and get 2x16. Thanks to my clunky (but absolutely gorgeous) AIO, the first DIMM slot is blocked out, so I can't do 4x8.

And I know I could technically turn off the logo and turn the pump sideways...but it wouldn't look as cool... ;-;
I would drop that AIO like a sack of shit if it meant getting 32GB of ram and not having SC constantly paging to the SSD and giving you -5 to -10fps constantly!

But that's just me I've always been function over form kinda guy ;)

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
I would drop that AIO like a sack of shit if it meant getting 32GB of ram and not having SC constantly paging to the SSD and giving you -5 to -10fps constantly!

But that's just me I've always been function over form kinda guy ;)
I want to be the function over form guy...but eye candy is my vice ;-;

That, and 16GB has been giving me no problems at all for now, so I don't NEED to upgrade. Star Citizen's been running at 30-40FPS (except on one particular mess of a server last night), had one crash in all the time I've been playing in 3.2 (not related to memory), and editing 4K video is going smoothly with 16 as well.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I want to be the function over form guy...but eye candy is my vice ;-;

That, and 16GB has been giving me no problems at all for now, so I don't NEED to upgrade. Star Citizen's been running at 30-40FPS (except on one particular mess of a server last night), had one crash in all the time I've been playing in 3.2 (not related to memory), and editing 4K video is going smoothly with 16 as well.
Do yourself a favour and watch your HDD light whilst your playing.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Why the wireless? Corded headsets are much better quality.
My biggest pet peeve at the moment is that my cord keeps twisting on itself. I can be sitting in my chair for a few hours, and somhow the cable goes from straight to wrapped around itself. Makes no sense.

I'm not against wired, I'd just prefer to have something that doesn't do that.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
My biggest pet peeve at the moment is that my cord keeps twisting on itself. I can be sitting in my chair for a few hours, and somhow the cable goes from straight to wrapped around itself. Makes no sense.

I'm not against wired, I'd just prefer to have something that doesn't do that.
Reasonable gripe. But if you're any kind of audiophile then wireless won't cut it. I like my sound to be so real I have to get out of my chair to see if someone is knocking on my door when it happens in the show I'm watching.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Not at all an audiophile, haha. I do like good quality, but it doesn't need to be the mostest bestest ever. I only really use them for gaming, haha

Reactions: Grimbli

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Reasonable gripe. But if you're any kind of audiophile then wireless won't cut it. I like my sound to be so real I have to get out of my chair to see if someone is knocking on my door when it happens in the show I'm watching.
If you were a real audiophile you would not even care that someone is nocking at the door whilst your listening ;)

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Reactions: Blind Owl and BUTUZ

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I have a computer I built around 4 years ago and it's started acting up. I get a lot of crash to desktops and notices saying my program has been denied my GPU. I think it may be the motherboard or PSU, but I'd like to start slowly upgrading to a more powerful PC, possibly with the new 2080ti eventually.
  • What is your location? Prices, websites, and deals vary based on country. This is very important.
California, USA
  • What is your budget is your currency?
Slow build, so not much of a budget. This will be an ongoing process.
  • Are you looking to build your own computer or do you want a pre-assembled one? Keep in mind that building your own computer, especially at the “mid to high end” levels needed for Star Citizen, you will get a far better deal compared to buying pre-built. However if building your own is simply not an option, we understand. Don’t be scared though! If you’ve never built before, and have general computer hardware knowledge, it’s easy! We’ll help you out.
Definitely building myself, done it before.
  • What do you need besides the Desktop Tower? Monitor(s), keyboard, mouse, speakers, headphones, Operating System disc (lol), etc
Nothing. Upgrading preexisting.
  • Any product, store, or manufacturer preferences?
I prefer NVidia for GPU, Intel for CPU. Not much of a preference after that.
  • What do you plan on using your computer for? Herp, derp, I know. Star Citizen. But certain uses may require tweaks in hardware to be fully efficient.
Mostly graphic intensive games.
  • When are you looking to build? If this computer is strictly for Star Citizen, the longer you wait (generally speaking), the better. However if you need a computer at a specific time, we will cater to that. Generally, you don't need to look into building until a few weeks before you want it. Prices and hardware greatly change over the months.
Will start upgrading in a few months. The first pieces should probably be Mobo and PSU, so I could start sooner unless there's new tech coming out.

Let me know if you have questions about my computer currently crashing. I'll post the specs now just in case anyone has any ideas. This was my first completely from scratch build. I added a liquid cooling radiator to the CPU. I'd like to have one for the GPU on my next build as they are amazing.

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
@Grimbli
1 - I highly recommend AGAINST the 2080 Ti, unless you specifically want RTX at 1080p 60fps. It's only about 30% more performance than the 1080 Ti, and it costs twice as much.
2 - I assume by radiator you mean an AIO/CLC, not a custom loop? If so, they're overhyped. They don't offer a huge improvement over good air coolers.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
@Grimbli
1 - I highly recommend AGAINST the 2080 Ti, unless you specifically want RTX at 1080p 60fps. It's only about 30% more performance than the 1080 Ti, and it costs twice as much.
2 - I assume by radiator you mean an AIO/CLC, not a custom loop? If so, they're overhyped. They don't offer a huge improvement over good air coolers.
1 - Didn't know that. I'll look more into it. I do like what I see from RTX and I usually play 4k on most games.
2 - It's a water cooler for the CPU. And I've noticed huge differences between it and air cooling. Rarely gets above 65°C. With fan it gets over 85°

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Will start upgrading in a few months. The first pieces should probably be Mobo and PSU, so I could start sooner unless there's new tech coming out.
Keep in mind, the new Coffee Lake CPU is coming out soon and the new i9 is supposed to be a pretty good improvement. It sits in a LGA 1151 socket, but it's a new version of it. It isn't compatible with our current 1151 cpus and vice versa. So if the i9 turns out to be as much of a game changer as the hype, purchasing a mobo now would lock you out of future compatibility. That said, I am still running a 4790 and I really have to go out of my way to stress its capabilities. So going with a 7 or 8k series should still last for a very long time in a build. They also sit at a very nice price point right now.

@Grimbli
I second the motion. I only see a benefit to watercooling when there are space issues or when you are OC'ing the piss out of your cpu. I actually don't build for either. I like plenty of room in my case and I will never recommend OC'ing. Then again, I have been building my computers since the late 80's. So I tend to see my computer more as a work truck than a bentley.

Forgot your password?