Need a new computer desk

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
So, yeah...About a year ago my computer desk was on it's last legs and was in imminent danger of falling apart. Since then I've been using a rolling hospital-style dinner tray and a foldable tv dinner tray to hold my keyboard, mouse and monitor. My PC is on a little wheeled cart off of the floor at least and my HOTAS sits on top of that, unused due to lack of real room. What I'm looking for is a decent gaming desk that can hold maybe two monitors (perhaps with some sort of support arm) and my hotas setup, maybe with a keyboard tray for my mouse and kb. And it has to max out at around 52 inches wide. My PC I can keep on the floor as long as there's room to roll it under the desk. Does anyone know of some good brand names or models that would fill the role and last a while? I'm not very handy so building it from scratch myself is not likely to happen. It's just that, gaming off of cramped Tv trays isn't conducive to SC enjoyment lol

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
If you're not building it yourself, desks can be ridiculously expensive. If you're into it though, there are tons of great options if you can get them shipped. I personally prefer a simple open desk style with a secondary monitor mount (vesa mounts are my preference). A search through amazon should get you something good looking for $150-$250 with the mounts. Like this desk (HERE) and this mount (HERE).

If you want super cheap, the best bet is to go around to any office buildings around your town and ask to talk to their maintenance manager. Explain your situation to them and ask if they have any office equipment they want to sell for cheap. Every office building usually has a room filled with old office desks, chairs, mounts, etc. They would likely be more than happy to sell you something for cheap since often times they end up just going to the dump. I've gotten most of my office chairs (used $500+ models) and a couple desks (one of which is a $1,500 motorized adjustable desk) that way for free. I got them for free because often enough it is easier for them to give it away than accept payment.

Good luck hunting!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Just get 2 of those 1/2 size filing cabinets and an old door to lay across them. BOOM, insta desk. Or you could just check out your local IKEA and see what they got.

Reactions: Bambooza

at-2500

Vice Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2018
RSI Handle
at2500
Please go with a evodesk for your desk needs:
Best-in-class performance, integrated storage options, and a smart expandable frame allow the Evodesk standing desk to evolve with you. With a power electric range of 250 positions, a 50" maximum height and the highest weight capacity in its class, Evodesk exceeds expectations. Customize your Evodesk with our online configurator by choosing over 25 custom sit stand options and accessories.
Yes, it is the 300 series of desks, marketed by CIG.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Man you guys give to much credit to ikea... those things are junk. Woodworker here get some cheap filing cabinets, 3 sheets of plywood(looks good type). 6 peices of wood and screw it all together. Build the base first make sure you use a level as you assemble the legs. make the legs the same height as the filing cabinets you buy. you will spend maybe 150 maximum on the whole setup and it will work very well and last for as long as you want it to last. if you want to get really fancy get some wood stain and stain the plywood and legs prior to assembly. @Printimus had the right idea actually very very simlar you can make it as fancy as you want and modify it how you like. If i had time id make a quick example of it out of scrap wood i have at my house but i have no space or time. in total with the right tools this can take maybe 1-2 hours.

https://mcaleers.com/diy-friday-build-your-own-file-cabinet-desk/

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Not sure where in the eastern US you are, but if you are near an Amish community, check them out. You can get a REALLY nice desk for a lot less then it would cost you for a cheap one in a furniture store. Mine is solid oak outside, with solid pine drawers, all joints are dovetailed or mortise and tennon. The only thing that is not done that way is the top to the drawers, which is bolted.

You get what you pay for. In my case, I got a desk that family will fight over when I finally kick the bucket.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Not sure where in the eastern US you are, but if you are near an Amish community, check them out. You can get a REALLY nice desk for a lot less then it would cost you for a cheap one in a furniture store. Mine is solid oak outside, with solid pine drawers, all joints are dovetailed or mortise and tennon. The only thing that is not done that way is the top to the drawers, which is bolted.

You get what you pay for. In my case, I got a desk that family will fight over when I finally kick the bucket.

Just tell them that one can get the desk the other can get your SC account in the hopes it eventually goes into beta.

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
I'd suggest maybe checking some garage sales.
Also depending where you work, they might get ride of some office furniture (if they have any). I got a Mayline Maytrix (custom done for our offices) when they closed/removed the processing room.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

That is a great idea i might have to try that whenever i goto the states again.

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
So, yeah...About a year ago my computer desk was on it's last legs and was in imminent danger of falling apart. Since then I've been using a rolling hospital-style dinner tray and a foldable tv dinner tray to hold my keyboard, mouse and monitor. My PC is on a little wheeled cart off of the floor at least and my HOTAS sits on top of that, unused due to lack of real room. What I'm looking for is a decent gaming desk that can hold maybe two monitors (perhaps with some sort of support arm) and my hotas setup, maybe with a keyboard tray for my mouse and kb. And it has to max out at around 52 inches wide. My PC I can keep on the floor as long as there's room to roll it under the desk. Does anyone know of some good brand names or models that would fill the role and last a while? I'm not very handy so building it from scratch myself is not likely to happen. It's just that, gaming off of cramped Tv trays isn't conducive to SC enjoyment lol
Where abouts are you living? I've got my old roccaforte command center just sitting around.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I ended up getting a relatively inexpensive gaming desk made by a company called Atlantic off of amazon with a lot of positive reviews and just bought a sliding keyboard tray to attach to it. It should leave me with enough room to use the HOTAS on the desktop itself. If/when I move my gaming area to another room I'll probably look into something more substantial.

Reactions: smeggy and Bambooza

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I ended up getting a relatively inexpensive gaming desk made by a company called Atlantic off of amazon with a lot of positive reviews and just bought a sliding keyboard tray to attach to it. It should leave me with enough room to use the HOTAS on the desktop itself. If/when I move my gaming area to another room I'll probably look into something more substantial.
whats the amazon link

Forgot your password?