Need help with upgrading 7yo computer.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
@Lorddarthvik so after many restarts and messing around I have gotten windows installed and the single ram stick in the right spot. Graphics card weirdly has to go into PCI slot far away from CPU, which also did on my last computer. But it's started up.
Well shit, this is wrong on so many levels..

First the RAM in the "wrong" slot, although I'm not sure what that would be in the case of a single stick. In my experience with old ddr3, it booted with a single stick in any slot, but I think that might have been the odd one out and not the norm.

Second, your GPU should work in the slot it was meant to work in, which on your mobo is closest to the CPU with the extra shielding on it! If it doesn't, then it's highly likely your mobo is bad! I have checked exactly your mobos manual, it could be perfectly fine to run the GPU through that, but it's a new mobo! It should work!

Then there is the SSD /sata issue. It should boot! Maybe not work, not start windows, but it must show something on the screen and boot!

So, at this point, I'd highly recommend trying one more thing: try to get it up and running with two sticks of ram in proper dual channel mode (this is when slot positions matter). Try both pair of slots, even if it happens to work your first try! You do Not want to be stuck with a mobo that has a broke ram slot.
If it dies again, try the other ram stick only, see if that boots fine . If that works, it's definitely a mobo issue and you should send it back under warranty ASAP!
This should also help figuring out if the ram is bad.

Believe me, I know how hard it is to let it go, even if it only works in a certain messy way, but in the long run, it will be worth that extra time to have an actually reliable system!

Tldr.: mobos borked, ram might be too, let it go, warranty exchange recommended to avoid future pain!

Extra thoughts: so many weird issues. Dodgy booting, ram positions, sata not working, GPU slots... all this could be nothing more but a badly seated CPU! Or even if a small speck of dust or something is underneath the Cpu! I've seen weird shit like that, although not recently.

How about instead of hours of messing about with dodgy windows installs and ram slots, you take off that cooler, release the CPU clamp carefully, slightly pick up and place down the Cpu again, and clamp it down again? If you are feeling adventurous you may take out the Cpu fully and check visually to see if all the pins still look fine on the mobo, but you might need a magnifying glass for that.
In any case, it may be worth a try!

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Ok, I got the system to boot up and work, ram is in correct spot but one stick is definitely bad so I'm going to pick some up from Best Buy since it's fastest option. Now the real problem...

I had to install windows to the new M.2 and it doesn't recognize my old windows at all, even to try to change the boot disk. But I also can't find my windows registry key to activate windows. I've tried a LOT of programs which supposedly find the key, but none of them have worked. Computer works just find, but I'd like to get windows activated.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Ok, I got the system to boot up and work, ram is in correct spot but one stick is definitely bad so I'm going to pick some up from Best Buy since it's fastest option. Now the real problem...

I had to install windows to the new M.2 and it doesn't recognize my old windows at all, even to try to change the boot disk. But I also can't find my windows registry key to activate windows. I've tried a LOT of programs which supposedly find the key, but none of them have worked. Computer works just find, but I'd like to get windows activated.
If you have a proper Microsoft account associated with your windows key, you might be able to find it through that? Maybe give em a call even?

Can't help you really, I have mine on paper (oem win8.1 disk case) and it's one of the few things I can find in my apartment any time, cos I keep it safe in the same location always lol

Still, it's weird that the old win Install won't boot. Anyways, good thing you diagnosed the ram, hope you can grab a good set and enjoy the game finally :)

Reactions: Grimbli

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Thanks! You've been a lot of help. Although I still have no idea what caused the problem or what fixed it. But that's usually the way it goes with computers and me.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

martirosyan

Ensign
Apr 4, 2022
RSI Handle
martirosyan
A great setup, OP. I think it's a nice PC to game on. I would be happy to have one like this. It is especially important to get a good SSD because it should be reliable. My last PC crashed because of a small but significant error in the HDD. I barely managed to restore the data. I could not even manage to do it myself and had to look for data recovery near me. That's why I recommend everyone make a backup copy of all the files on their PC from that moment on. This is especially important if you have some files from your job on your PC because you are financially responsible for them. I have almost lost my year's report, and if I did that, I would end up somewhere in jail.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?