Net Neutrality fell

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
closest thing I can think of is a vpn
Your best bet would be to use some sort of VPN to a school or business and use them as a relay to the final destination.
I was under the impression that a VPN would be useless because the VPN traffic still has to go thru your ISP- and with the fall of net neutrality they could still block the traffic for what-ever reason. Do I just have an oversimplified understanding of this?

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I was under the impression that a VPN would be useless because the VPN traffic still has to go thru your ISP- and with the fall of net neutrality they could still block the traffic for what-ever reason. Do I just have an oversimplified understanding of this?
The only traffic that doesn't go through your ISP, would be service that you get from another ISP. You simply can't get rid of the ISP in the middle, however, if you're using VPN with an encrypted connection, the ISP will not know what you're doing, or who are you dealing with (other than the VPN server).

However, VPN will not do you much good for the purposes of bypassing the slowlane, as that's not up to your connection, but the protection racket money paid by each individual website. So if your connection to youtube is slow because youtube isn't paying, the VPN providers connection to youtube will also be slow because youtube isn't paying. However, you might be able to bypass the slowlane to sites outside of U.S. and away from the grubby tendrils of the ISP overlords.

Last edited:

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
View attachment 8519

Don't panic yet, fellas. The information super highway ran okay in 2014 before nothing-to-do-with-neutrality was a thing.
ISPs were extorting content services to get double paid on bandwidth.

The same will happen again as soon as the public stops paying attention. Roughly 2 weeks from now probably. ;)

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
ISPs were extorting content services to get double paid on bandwidth.

The same will happen again as soon as the public stops paying attention. Roughly 2 weeks from now probably. ;)
Let me get the world's tiniest violin tuned up for Google having to spend some of its bean bag chair budget on the bandwidth they are using. That's not extortion and that's not double paid. If content services needed people to stick up for them, maybe they could try providing better services and content instead of steadily providing worse.
I'm okay with being wrong on this if I am. In 2 weeks, I can go back reading books as a pass time if I have to.

Bigcracker

Space Marshal
Feb 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Bigcracker8789
So - There are several states suing the FCC and some guy named Pai right now. Net neutrality is not dead yet...
I believe we still have congress and if a new president comes into office in 2020 that is in favor of Net Neutrality this can all be reversed, all they would have to do is sign their name on a paper and show their work to the camera like a preschooler..

Currently California,Delaware,Hawaii,Illinois,Iowa,Kentucky,Maine,Maryland,Massachusetts,Mississippi,New York,North Carolina,Oregon, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia and Washington are suing the current administration and looking to set up their own Net Neutrality laws on the state level like they did with the Paris climate stuff. I mean when you get Mississippi and California to agree on something you know you might of fucked up...

HeadClot

Grand Admiral
May 29, 2014
RSI Handle
HeadClot88
I believe we still have congress and if a new president comes into office in 2020 that is in favor of Net Neutrality this can all be reversed, all they would have to do is sign their name on a paper and show their work to the camera like a preschooler..

Currently California,Delaware,Hawaii,Illinois,Iowa,Kentucky,Maine,Maryland,Massachusetts,Mississippi,New York,North Carolina,Oregon, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia and Washington are suing the current administration and looking to set up their own Net Neutrality laws on the state level like they did with the Paris climate stuff. I mean when you get Mississippi and California to agree on something you know you might of fucked up...
You know why those states are suing the FCC? Municipal broadband are in those states. They have opted out of corporate broadband and the FCC wants to shove that down their necks.

So basically rip up or sign over state made and owned lines that make a large chunk of money for the cities and states.

Forgot your password?