Net Neutrality fell

VFV

Grand Admiral
Nov 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Vfv
I believe we still have congress and if a new president comes into office in 2020 that is in favor of Net Neutrality this can all be reversed, all they would have to do is sign their name on a paper and show their work to the camera like a preschooler..

Currently California,Delaware,Hawaii,Illinois,Iowa,Kentucky,Maine,Maryland,Massachusetts,Mississippi,New York,North Carolina,Oregon, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia and Washington are suing the current administration and looking to set up their own Net Neutrality laws on the state level like they did with the Paris climate stuff. I mean when you get Mississippi and California to agree on something you know you might of fucked up...
Yeah Congress can still fix this. People need to call their reps

HeadClot

Grand Admiral
May 29, 2014
RSI Handle
HeadClot88
Anonymous has been strangely silent about all of this. My guess is that they may be ready for something, and they have better cards up their sleeve than "lead poisoning".
They have been vocal about this. I have learned from a fairly early age. Do not trust the guy beating his chest. Trust the guy who is silent and planning. The Silent and Planning people are anonymous. The person who was beating his chest today was Pai.

Also this came out a few hrs ago.

https://twitter.com/RoseAnnDeMoro/status/941027721940844544

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
Let me get the world's tiniest violin tuned up for Google having to spend some of its bean bag chair budget on the bandwidth they are using. That's not extortion and that's not double paid. If content services needed people to stick up for them, maybe they could try providing better services and content instead of steadily providing worse.
I'm okay with being wrong on this if I am. In 2 weeks, I can go back reading books as a pass time if I have to.
The problem isn't really that Google would get throttled, it's that other webpages would not compete on the same level.
It would also be a problem if no streaming service other than that shitty one created by your ISP was available, unless you pay a lot of more money.

It also doesn't help that some areas don't have multiple ISPs, due to the ISPs agreements with each other. So people living in those areas can't change even if they wanted to, creating local monopolies.

I'm not saying al these things are going to happen, but the number of ISPs have gone down drastically over the years limiting choice and limiting the effect of the free market. And the companies that are left have been pushing for this for a long time, if they did not intend to make use of it to the fullest extent (to make back all the money they spent to get this change), why would they push so hard for it?

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
why would they push so hard for it?
Same reason those opposed to it are trying so hard. Call me cynic, but when the scaremongering starts, the only thing that's sure is someone's trying to drum up support on some emotional level. I just don't believe that either side of this is on the side of giving their customers better service for lower price. Safer to assume everyone has some bias they are keeping to themselves, and I definitely would not rule out the ulterior motives of those claiming net neutrality is the thing keeping this house of cards standing.

I'm not going to deny my own bias either. My internet has steadily gotten more expensive while at the same time becoming more unreliable. If they put out a fast lane, I'd consider it depending on cost. If a slow lane, everyone would cry foul and still have FTC to complain to.

I'd rather see them break up the monopolies as needed rather than allow the monopolies as long as everyone is in the slow lane together, which they have been doing with neutrality in place, regardless of the lofty rhetoric.

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
Same reason those opposed to it are trying so hard. Call me cynic, but when the scaremongering starts, the only thing that's sure is someone's trying to drum up support on some emotional level. I just don't believe that either side of this is on the side of giving their customers better service for lower price. Safer to assume everyone has some bias they are keeping to themselves, and I definitely would not rule out the ulterior motives of those claiming net neutrality is the thing keeping this house of cards standing.

I'm not going to deny my own bias either. My internet has steadily gotten more expensive while at the same time becoming more unreliable. If they put out a fast lane, I'd consider it depending on cost. If a slow lane, everyone would cry foul and still have FTC to complain to.

I'd rather see them break up the monopolies as needed rather than allow the monopolies as long as everyone is in the slow lane together, which they have been doing with neutrality in place, regardless of the lofty rhetoric.
I'm just worried that Sweden, in it's decades long effort to become the US, would do something like this and cause me to have to pay for individual websites/services. I don't pay differently for what I do with my water or electricity, I just pay for the amount I use. The way I see it, these services are not different enough from data to be treated differently. You have a stream of water/electricity/data sent through pipelines and switches from a source, by a provider, to your place and then you turn on the tap/outlet/web-browser use it. (I know wall-outlet electricity is AC/technically electrons shifting rapidly back and forth and not really a stream, but I think the comparison still stands). If I want to play games or communicate with a remote simulation I'm running at my uni or anything else on the Internet, it's still data sent through wire and fiber. It's the same service I require and should therefore be paid the same IMO.

I looked up some info during writing this, and found out that Sweden actually doesn't have net neutrality rules, and people did get completely blocked from things like Skype on their phone and reports of people that even had it throttled on their PCs...
Since 30 April 2016 the EU put up some rules regarding net neutrality, so I guess I don't have to worry about having throttled-problems a.t.m.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
The way I see it, these services are not different enough from data to be treated differently.
Well, another difference being dying of thirst and freezing to death, as opposed to going without cat videos and social media like farming.
I just doubt this will be as catastrophic as it's being made out to be.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
My internet has steadily gotten more expensive while at the same time becoming more unreliable. If they put out a fast lane, I'd consider it depending on cost.
You seem to misunderstand how the Internet works.

You can already buy faster or slower Internet access from your ISP. The difference is that with net neutrality, your ISP didn't get to tell you what stuff you can watch and what stuff you can't. Or they didn't get to charge you extra for watching Netflix or YouTube or any of the numerous alternatives to paying for a Cable TV subscription.

Now they can (and will) say that the alternatives to cable are causing too much traffic on the network, so they will charge a lot more to those companies or else throttle their connections to be unusable.

In terms that make it easier for you to understand, say you pay $50/month for Internet today, and you pay $8/month for Netflix.

With net neutrality squashed, your ISP will go extort Netflix, telling them to pay up or else the ISP will make their service suck so you can't use it. You won't know it's your ISP's fault that Netflix sucks because they won't give you any way to see that, but Netflix will know and they can either pay your ISP extra for no additional service or their service will suck.

How will Netflix pay for this increased cost? Instead of charging you $8/month they will charge you $18/month. The extra $10/month will go directly to your ISP.

What will you see on your bill? $50/month for Internet and $18/month for Netflix. What will be the TRUE expenses? $60/month for ISP and $8/month for Netflix. It will just be convoluted and confusing to anyone who doesn't understand what net neutrality really is and they will wrongly think that Netflix are the bad guys who are charging more. They'll get mad at Netflix but the true source of their anger will really be the lack of net neutrality.

I don't pay differently for what I do with my water or electricity, I just pay for the amount I use. The way I see it, these services are not different enough from data to be treated differently.
This. Exactly right. An ISP's job is to provide me with a connection to the Internet. If they want to charge me more or less for a better or worse connection, then they should absolutely be able to do that. (They are able to do this even with net neutrality rules in effect).

However if they want to control or IN ANY WAY INFLUENCE what I can do on the Internet then they're nothing but thugs. FCC mandated thugs.

This is organized crime, that's what it is. Too many people cancelling their cable bills, so the cable companies just bought off the moron that is the FCC chairman so they can extort all the companies they can't otherwise compete with.

In general the only people that seem to support the lack of net neutrality regulation are Republicans who don't understand what net neutrality is. "It's a regulation? It must be bad because Republicans hate regulation." Well news flash Republicans, NOT ALL regulations are bad. Over-regulation is definitely bad, I completely agree. But just because something is a regulation doesn't make it evil.

In this case, LACK of the net neutrality regulation is what is evil.

End rant. ;)

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Consumer competition is a beautiful thing ... and the reason the "internet world" was humming right along pre net-neutrality. It will continue to do so. The Federal Corrupt Commission actually voted to RELEASE some of its powers for once ... who would have thought.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Consumer competition is a beautiful thing ... and the reason the "internet world" was humming right along pre net-neutrality. It will continue to do so. The Federal Corrupt Commission actually voted to RELEASE some of its powers for once ... who would have thought.
Only fools believe there is any real competition in the ISP business.

More than 80% of US consumers have ONLY ONE CHOICE for which ISP to use.

Your entire argument is based on a fictitious situation whereby consumers have choice. That is absolutely NOT the state of the US ISP business.

Forgot your password?