Net Neutrality

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
What if the power company was able to say "You used your heating unit so much this year, damn your heating company they are using all of the power!
I think you're the one who misunderstands. Reynolds Aluminum does pay much more for electricity than the average homeowner, becasue they use far more and the utlitiies do use the tiered system. The argument in the vid is that the ISPs should be able to do the same. It is not an argument that they should be able to dick anyone around they like and for whatever reasons they like, which is actually what we have. So NN needs to be replaced. The question is with what improvements.

Reactions: Bambooza

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The argument in the vid is that the ISPs should be able to do the same.
I dont get it.

I am paying for 30Mbps.

If I request 30Mbps of Netflix 4k movies to 6 devices in my house. I should get exactly that because that is what I am paying for!

If there were only 100 people on the entire internet, and every single one of use maxxed out our connection to stream Netflix, so Netflix traffic filled 100% of the bandwidth of the known internet, why should Verizon go ask Netflix for money?

The consumer is already paying money for requesting the data from Netflix to be sent to their TV.

Reactions: Radegast74

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The question is, can the provider or ISP like Verizon, set a higher price for Netflix than for a low bandwidth user. Net Neutrality did not allow the provider to set different rates, despite that this is exactly what the utilities do. Utilities charge you less for electricity than they do City Hall, the owner of the nearest sky scraper, or the nearest refinery. They do this to make access more affordable to you, the end user, than it would otherwise be, and shift the burden on the big users who have bigger pockets.

Google does not want Verizon to be able to charge them more than it charges you. Right now Verizon can and does do this, but during NN it could not.

Now there are certainly other concerns, such as Verizon throttling folks without their consent, and that should be in a regulatory agreement too, but that's not the issue i brought up. When Google paid to fund NN, they made people think that was THE issue, and it is only one of many.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I think you're the one who misunderstands. Reynolds Aluminum does pay much more for electricity than the average homeowner, becasue they use far more and the utlitiies do use the tiered system. The argument in the vid is that the ISPs should be able to do the same. It is not an argument that they should be able to dick anyone around they like and for whatever reasons they like, which is actually what we have. So NN needs to be replaced. The question is with what improvements.
I can't tell if you are willfully misunderstanding this or not.

Reynolds Aluminum DOES NOT PAY for electricity YOU USE IN YOUR HOUSE.

That is what the ISPs are trying to do.

Yes, of course they pay a huge amount for the electricity they use IN THEIR PLACE OF BUSINESS. And so do Netflix/Google. They already pay a huge amount for that.

It's clear that this is a complicated situation, and the misinformation propaganda has confused you very well.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
The question is, can the provider or ISP like Verizon, set a higher price for Netflix than for a low bandwidth user. Net Neutrality did not allow the provider to set different rates, despite that this is exactly what the utilities do. Utilities charge you less for electricity than they do City Hall, the owner of the nearest sky scraper, or the nearest refinery. They do this to make access more affordable to you, the end user, than it would otherwise be, and shift the burden on the big users who have bigger pockets.

Google does not want Verizon to be able to charge them more than it charges you. Right now Verizon can and does do this, but during NN it could not.

Now there are certainly other concerns, such as Verizon throttling folks without their consent, and that should be in a regulatory agreement too, but that's not the issue i brought up. When Google paid to fund NN, they made people think that was THE issue, and it is only one of many.
OK, now I see the problem. You have no idea what you're talking about.

There are several different kinds of ISP. There are backbone providers, that actually run traffic over the world on the Internet. Netflix, Google et al PAY A HUGE AMOUNT of money to use those services.

Then there is the "last mile" ISP, which is what you use to connect your house to the Internet.

You are likely paying A LOT of money each month for that connection. What you should expect to receive in exchange is, if you buy 50 Mbps, you should be able to use ALL THE TIME, NONSTOP, for WHATEVER YOU WANT, 50 Mbps worth of Internet.

However instead, what is happening, is your last mile ISP is extorting all the places that you are using. You use YouTube? ISP says "hi YouTube, your service is great, our users like to watch your stuff. Pay us now or our users are going to start thinking your service is shit because we're going to throttle you."

It's not that YouTube is the problem. It's that your ISP is the problem. They are charging you for a service (ability to use X amount of Internet), then when you actually do use it, they are trying to ALSO charge the sites that you like. It's sick and wrong.

You seem to have been tricked into thinking that Netflix and Google aren't paying for Internet. That is patently false. They pay insane amounts of money for the Internet, because they use a lot. They pay their own providers that connect them to the Internet.

But you are ALSO paying for Internet to your provider (the P in ISP). The difference is your ISP is an asshole and wants other people to pay for YOUR USAGE in addition to you.

Forgot your password?