New Desk

Cobgurn

Admiral
Aug 22, 2020
RSI Handle
Cogburn
Well after the last few years of my traditional desk(s) I decided I needed a sit-stand. Unfortunately all the ones that I saw for sell were over priced and generally ugly and not made out of real wood. Since I decided I wanted to do things on the cheap I went out and collected pallets. This was all free wood and with a little work could provide a pretty unique look on the whole. With the top material figured out I searched for a frame and ended up finding a brand new VIVO sit stand corner desk frame for $300.

Below are the images of the evolution of the project. Remember this is one desk that is going to replace 2 desks with 2 desktop's . Also I have not built the monitor shelves yet.

Rough Design in autodesk

Initial Design - Autocad

Initial measurement

Center core rough measurement - AutoCAD

20230621_155620.jpg

Gluing the cut slats into a slab

Initial stain, to ensure wood grain stands out

First stain to bring out the grain.

Ensuring the sections line up

Alignment check

Bevel added

Beveling the outside edges

Desktop after moderate sanding and shellac

Sand down and Shellac

Ensuring the desk fits the frame properly

Aligning the frame and desk top

Testing Monitor placement

Hardware alignment check - 2 desks into 1

Definitely need the monitor shelf to allow for the work station portion to work correctly. Will likely move the old ultra wide to another location and use the extra monitor by the door for the drafting system. All in all I am happy with the initial look of the V1 build. Will see how well the V2 portions match up with it in the future. Need to paint the walls and change out the trim as well before I to much farther.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Well after the last few years of my traditional desk(s) I decided I needed a sit-stand. Unfortunately all the ones that I saw for sell were over priced and generally ugly and not made out of real wood. Since I decided I wanted to do things on the cheap I went out and collected pallets. This was all free wood and with a little work could provide a pretty unique look on the whole. With the top material figured out I searched for a frame and ended up finding a brand new VIVO sit stand corner desk frame for $300.

Below are the images of the evolution of the project. Remember this is one desk that is going to replace 2 desks with 2 desktop's . Also I have not built the monitor shelves yet.

View attachment 24744
Initial Design - Autocad

View attachment 24745

View attachment 24755

View attachment 24748

View attachment 24749
Alignment check

View attachment 24750

View attachment 24751
Sand down and Shellac

View attachment 24752

View attachment 24754

Definitely need the monitor shelf to allow for the work station portion to work correctly. Will likely move the old ultra wide to another location and use the extra monitor by the door for the drafting system. All in all I am happy with the initial look of the V1 build. Will see how well the V2 portions match up with it in the future. Need to paint the walls and change out the trim as well before I to much farther.
thats really badass. I've never seen a corner sit stand. The whole project looks awesome, but im a fan of the bezels personally. They look clean.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Holy shit thats amazing!

Are you sure you have enough screens there?

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

View attachment 24744
Initial Design - Autocad

View attachment 24745

View attachment 24755

View attachment 24748

View attachment 24749
Alignment check

View attachment 24750

View attachment 24751
Sand down and Shellac

View attachment 24752

View attachment 24754

Solid work!

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Be VERY careful with pallet wood. Many invasive tree species have made it to other places due to improper treatment of pallet wood, and they can easily be infested with termites.

Proper treatment can prevent these problems, but oftentimes, these treatments need to be done before you start building your furniture with them.

Your new desk looks great.

Cobgurn

Admiral
Aug 22, 2020
RSI Handle
Cogburn
Be VERY careful with pallet wood. Many invasive tree species have made it to other places due to improper treatment of pallet wood, and they can easily be infested with termites.

Proper treatment can prevent these problems, but oftentimes, these treatments need to be done before you start building your furniture with them.

Your new desk looks great.
Thank you. No fear though, none of the wood I selected was infected with any parasites. In fact termite infected wood ,would have stood out pretty easily when being cut and planed.

Reactions: Drowez

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Very nice work there!!

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
Very nice, did you go with a bit more powerful motor than most standing desks to handle the extra weight? I'm curious, I don't think the motor on mine would handle that desktop.

Cobgurn

Admiral
Aug 22, 2020
RSI Handle
Cogburn
Very nice, did you go with a bit more powerful motor than most standing desks to handle the extra weight? I'm curious, I don't think the motor on mine would handle that desktop.
The frame itself is rated for 330 lb's and I am not even close to pushing that. Its probably 180 on the top end, but likely less.

Forgot your password?