New player struggling with vandel swarm

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
My advice for anybody new (besides watching YouTube vids):
1. Fly the race courses, maybe alone at first, *but*, get to know how your ship handles and how to fly it, i.e., what key does what, what button does what, and do I like a joystick or a mouse & kb or an Xbox controller.

2. Then fly a bit in the PU, but realize that flying and fighting is different from just flying. Just try to score hits, see if you like the lead PIPs or whatever.

3. Concurrently with #2, fly the races to earn REC, stockpile a bunch, then go to the online store and try bigger weapons. The stock weapons on your ship are not great. Keep checking your keybindings and see if you have everything you need, where you need it.

4. The pirates can take a lot of hits...between 2 & 3 above, you should note some improvement in getting more hits.

5. Learn missiles...unfortunately, Size 1 & Size 2 aren't the most powerful, but, they can weaken the enemy. Learn how to use them effectively to help in bringing down an enemy. Different missiles excel at different things.

After all that, then
6. PvP...a whole different ballgame than dogfighting with AI pirates. Realize that a starter ship has some weaknesses, but try to understand them and play to your strengths. Stay patient & where down you enemies...don't get impatient and make a mistake.

A good example, I have been playing off and on for over a year...mostly off. With the computer AI, I never really bothered launching countermeasures against missiles. Now that I am doing more PvP, I realize I need to...so, I had to figure out where the control was, and bind it to an unused button on my joystick. Same with boost/afterburners, never used it against computer AI, against other players, it is necessary.

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
I'm still flying my starter pack Mustang as well. Took alot of time for my first kill, and I've only had a couple. Then I took up racing. I just go slow, as everyone here has advised, and finish the race. Slowly but surely I got to the point where I could fly at 100% for most of the course, then started using afterburners in between rings. Each time I tried a new thing, I pissed myself off cuz I kept crashing, but eventually I got it. I still don't finish first, but who cares, I'm in it for the REC.

Then, I rented an Avenger. I take that for a spin on the race course, then take it and try to fire some missiles. I just wish the rental was good in the PU also. But it isn't.

Anyway, it's been months and months and I still feel like a beginner, and I crash alot, which means I fit in with the TESTie crowd pretty comfortably!

Gabgrave

Grand Admiral
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Gabgrave
If you are using a mouse and keyboard it's good to check out some of the keybindings and how to fly videos online. There's various tricks you need to know to be effective using M&K, besides getting the feel of the controls, such as learning how decreasing and increasing your speed affects the drift, using the (X) boost button to quickly bring your ship back into the vector you want, and the space brake key (Alt+X). Try practicing all these while running missions in the PU fighting pirates, so that you don't get too bored, and also to save your rec since each time you enter arena to play you use a day's ticket for all your ROMs.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Rent a hornet. Start murder spree.
I thought we had a loan program here at TEST where new pilots could borrow a Hornet from others. Are you not able to take that to swarm? Is only for the PU?

Surely flying the Hornet must be easier. From what the experts say, the lessons you learn flying the Mustang are all good. . .evade just as marcsand2 says; but methinks it would be more encouraging to see how life is in a Hornet. Big guns and can take a hit.

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
I thought we had a loan program here at TEST where new pilots could borrow a Hornet from others. Are you not able to take that to swarm? Is only for the PU?

Surely flying the Hornet must be easier. From what the experts say, the lessons you learn flying the Mustang are all good. . .evade just as marcsand2 says; but methinks it would be more encouraging to see how life is in a Hornet. Big guns and can take a hit.
Yeah the swarm doesn't allow ship sharing

Reactions: Mich Angel

aftershock2100

Space Marshal
Mar 2, 2015
RSI Handle
aftershock2100
If you can, upgrade your ship to an avenger titan. You will not regret it! Otherwise it sounds like you need turn up your mouse sensitivity. I do mouse and KB as well, if its too low you wont maneuver worth shit. If you wanna practice hit me up on discord!

Forgot your password?