New rendering of Drake Corsair

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
A much needed ray of hope for the Drake Corsair. It looks better grungy.

And what's the viewport area underneath the cockpit again? The concierge lounge?
That is actually the Co-Pilot seat! It swings down and offers you and the pilot unobstructed views. The Cutlass does something semi-similar with the co-pilot seat raising like 5 feet in the air to see over the pilots chair.

1603843033963.png

Now, how does the pilot get out if the copilot is down there you may ask? I have NO IDEA! I think there is space for a walkway to get back but who the hell knows at this point?

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus
That is actually the Co-Pilot seat! It swings down and offers you and the pilot unobstructed views. The Cutlass does something semi-similar with the co-pilot seat raising like 5 feet in the air to see over the pilots chair.

View attachment 19074

Now, how does the pilot get out if the copilot is down there you may ask? I have NO IDEA! I think there is space for a walkway to get back but who the hell knows at this point?
I thought it was Drake's version of the bedroom beneath the cockpit in the 600i... except its a reclining grandpa chair instead!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Do you think it would be redundant to have both the Corsair and Carrack?... I want both but scared the Corsair is a "cheap" Carrack... But I still want both! xD
Why not both?
not even including the irl cost. 600 Dollarydoos vs 215. IMO I'd rather have a Corsair + Caterpillar with enough left over to almost afford a Cutlass Black than just a Carrack. But that's just me!
Yup. Solid logic.

But also the Carrack. Haha

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
There is supposed to be a retractable floor, so you can still get out and about, 'cus who needs to talk to the copilot anyhow??

Reactions: Blind Owl

Gotin

Commander
Aug 30, 2020
RSI Handle
Gotin and Alia
Not a fan of the design but functionally it is appealing.

People saying that spaceships don't need to be symmetrical aren't taking weight balancing while under thrust. Sure, you can design around it like a larger engine on this side or the other, but then you're overly complicating a design that wouldn't be an issue with a symmetrical design.

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus
Not a fan of the design but functionally it is appealing.

People saying that spaceships don't need to be symmetrical aren't taking weight balancing while under thrust. Sure, you can design around it like a larger engine on this side or the other, but then you're overly complicating a design that wouldn't be an issue with a symmetrical design.
Depends on how the asymmetrical design in question has been handled. It can appear lop-sided but still be fully balanced, so long as it has been designed properly. However, for atmospheric flying, this becomes a lot more complicated, so there is a massive difference with asymmetry in space and asymmetry on a planet. Depends how details the game physics are and how much they are cheating with it.

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus
Another one: Would you upgrade your Cutty black to a Corsair if you already had a Cutty Red? The Corsair is basically an upgraded Cutty Black right?....
I wouldn't say so, but its entirely down to how you justify it. But I wouldn't pull out a Corsair to do the simple tasks a Cutty Black does. I Cutty Black is perfect for small, cheap runs and missions and won't cost much to repair or replace if gets banged up. Sometimes you need smaller, cheaper ships that get get off the ground quickly and jump around systems... especially so if you don't want to have to wait to reclaim you main ships at different pads all the time. But everyone will use their ships differently, no doubt, and that's part of the fun.
However, if like you say you already have a Cutty Red, than swapping out the Black will always be an option :like:

Last edited:

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Another one: Would you upgrade your Cutty black to a Corsair if you already had a Cutty Red? The Corsair is basically an upgraded Cutty Black right?....
Por que no las dos?

For what it's worth I have a Cutlass Red and a Corsair, but I think there is a case to be made for keeping the Black instead of upgrading it.

(Eventually) You can slave the turret to pilot (or co-pilot) controls making it super easy to solo. Cutlass Black is a surprisingly solid combat ship even without 2 "gimbaled" size 3 cannons on the turret accessible. It's also fully functional with 2 players and has room for 3 (plus more in the drop seats in the back just in case) so it's very flexible. It has a generous cargo space and room for bikes and/or rovers.

Corsair ticks many of the same boxes as the Cutlass, that's for sure. They're both cool looking and have lots of flexibility. But the Corsair is going to handle worse than the Cutlass by a noticeable margin and is a much bigger target. Corsair has more room for more friends and cargo/loot, more firepower, longer range, and better sensors. Cutlass Black is also (less than) half the price of the Corsair.

I think they're both great looking ships. I fly my Black in the PU more than my Red because while the Red is great for it's role, not having any turret or any missiles sucks when you get jumped.

Gotin

Commander
Aug 30, 2020
RSI Handle
Gotin and Alia
Depends on how the asymmetrical design in question has been handled. It can appear lop-sided but still be fully balanced, so long as it has been designed properly. However, for atmospheric flying, this becomes a lot more complicated, so there is a massive difference with asymmetry in space and asymmetry on a planet. Depends how details the game physics are and how much they are cheating with it.
Talk to NASA and the Russians about rockets having a payload that's off balance some time lol. Weight balance vs thrust is pivotal in design. Heck, I'm pretty sure there have been failures of several craft at launch just from this issue.

Forgot your password?