Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
View: https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1624166533382430754

The likely ship type would seem to be either:
Salvage (3.18)
Racing (3.18)
Something green (St Patrick's day next month, "lucky ship" remark)
Or the traditional "pew pew" ship (no reason seemingly needed to release more).

I had been hoping that it could be a salvage ground vehicle (despite the tweet saying "ship"), but the lights don't seem to match those on the ROC\ROC-DS, MULE or URSA.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Reminds me of crusader

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
There is mention of both a QED Scorpius and an EMP Mantis on Pipeline, but I'm not sure where the lights and other features in that image would be located on either ship.

The choice of colour in the image also makes things difficult (the lights look like they may be a white\yellow colour, but this seems overpoewered by a red light source from somewhere): Is the red lighting supposed to suggest\indicate "QED" or is it atmospheric lighting?

The "bubbles" behind the lights, with several along the sides closer to the "camera" are also strange - QED and EMP both currently have a "lightning" effect, so it's unlikely to be a QRD\EMP device.

Whatever it is, all going well, we'll know more about it sometime in the next week.

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
Last edited:
Reactions: Drowez

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
I'm interested in which other ship will be granted LTI along with it in any potential bundle... At a guess we'll get a "Nest of Scorpions" bundle with the Scorpius and the Antares.

It's a shame we had to get another combat ship - I had been hoping for a ground based salvage vehicle (salvage ROC\"RSC") bundled with a standard ROC, to get an LTI ROC for the hangar without needing to CCU to it (at that price point, getting one in a cheap bundle is about the same price as buying an LTI token and upgrading to the ship\vehicle).

Drowez

Captain
Jan 8, 2023
RSI Handle
Drowez
Wish we could of got a medical ground variant or at least a ship that has roles in game *now*.

Reactions: Ayeteeone

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
At this point, considering they are from the same maker, there is no reason I can think of that I can't ditch the scan-shielded cargo compartment in my Connie Taurus or the Snub bay in the other versions for an emp/quant jammer combo.

An Andromida with Quant supression? it would be the scourge of Large ships everywhere especially if decked out with full fixed S5's

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
Antares info has been data-mined from the latest PTU patch. Appears the QED both blocks QT and forces ships passing by out of it.

From Pipeline:
Name: Tidelock QED Item Type: Quantum Enforcement Device Manufacturer: RSI Size: 3 The Tidelock Quantum Enforcement Device was internally designed by Roberts Space Industries specifically for the Scorpius Antares. The carefully crafted design contains both a Quantum Snare for pulling crafts out of quantum travel and a Quantum Dampener for preventing quantum drive activation.

Name: Magstrand EMP Generator Item Type: Burst Generator Manufacturer: RSI Size: 4 The Magstrand from RSI is an EMP burst generator designed specifically for the Scorpius Antares. When fully charged, the device creates a powerful wave of distortion damage that can disable electric components within its blast radius.

Drowez

Captain
Jan 8, 2023
RSI Handle
Drowez
How do you guys feel this affects the Mantis?

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
At this point, the only real selling points it has over the Antares are a MUCH lower price point (against the base Scorpius at least), internal living amenities, and internal space to so carry stuff (or at least like you are supposed to. I've used the second seat in the Scorpius to haul boxes, although that comes with its own set of quirks and considerations to make work)

The Mantis has a pledge value of $150 and an aUEC cost of 1.2 mil.
The base Scorpius is $240 and has an undetermined in-game cost. The Antares will probably be significantly higher.

TLDR
Buff Mantis

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
From what I can see in the current leaks on pipeline, the Antares is likely retaining the second seat\copilot, but not the turret.

If the EMP and QED can be operated by the pilot, this would likely superceded the Mantis due to the better firepower and added EMP compared to the capacity of the Mantis.

If, however, the EMP and QED are only able to be used by the co-pilot, you are then forced to chose between the Antares (with 4 S3 hardpoints and 16 S2 missiles) or a Mantis (2 S3 hardpoints, 4 S2 missiles) and either a Hawk (4 S2, 2 S1 hardpoints), Avenger Warlock (1 S4, 2 S2 hardpoints, 4 S2 missiles), or a Vanguard Sentinel (1 S5, 4 S2 hardpoints, 16 S2 missiles) for the same number of players. In this case, the Mantis and one of the other options would likely give a better return, having more firepower as well as adding a second ship for the target to have to worry about.

Of course, I'm not a combat pilot, so this is all entirely theoretical...

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Of course, I'm not a combat pilot, so this is all entirely theoretical...
For squad level and larger ops, this is a step in the thinking that is needed, so you are right on the money. Skill plays a huge part but having the right stuff where and when you need it is the level above.

Waiting to see how the Antares is implemented, but not hopeful. CIG has a pathological obsession with forcing players to interact, so limiting the QED/EMP use to the back seat would be consistent. Without that turret, it'll be juicy bait for anything at all that is smaller. Also, without an interior it'll be forced to operate from a base of operations somewhere as the game grows.. more to come on that thought.

I'm also not even remotely impressed with yet another ship intended for people to be shitty to each other. I get it, this is low-hanging fruit to keep cash flow and at least some players engaged.. but it's also boring AF.

Brictoria

Rear Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Also, without an interior it'll be forced to operate from a base of operations somewhere as the game grows.. more to come on that thought.
That's another area where the Mantis and either the Hawk or Vanguard Sentinel have an advantage here, given all 3 ships have a "bed" option to log out in (In the hawk, you can use the "prisoner" storage area for this, I believe)... I forgot to add that to my thoughts earlier.

That said, it's unlikely you'd be logging out in a pair of ships like these in an isolated area. They'd be better served operating from a staging point, whether ship (Kraken, Liberator), outpost (once Pioneer and base building arrive), or launching from a city\spaceport, to ensure they could position themselves in the most favourable location for their planned activities - Particularly if we get the planets orbiting their stars as well as moons orbiting planets - Logging out on a "target rich" shipping lane wouldn't guarantee logging back in on it, and repositioning to an effective operating area may be a lot easier from a known location rather than a random position in space.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
At this point, considering they are from the same maker, there is no reason I can think of that I can't ditch the scan-shielded cargo compartment in my Connie Taurus or the Snub bay in the other versions for an emp/quant jammer combo.

An Andromida with Quant supression? it would be the scourge of Large ships everywhere especially if decked out with full fixed S5's
It has been stated, I think in the Mantis Q&A, that there is a goal for QED devices to eventually be available for ship utility hardpoints (i.e. the nose hardpoint on the 315p). Not heard anything since, but the tech debt to get to that point is gigantic so wouldn't expect the idea to even be talked about for a couple more years.

For bounty hunting especially, I would expect it to be possible to pick a ship with a couple of SCU for the 'cell', add a bounty hunter blade to the computer, mount a QED and a couple of distortions. Requiring bespoke ships for the role telegraphs intent, which does run somewhat contrary to the 'vision'. We are supposed to make intentional choices which limit our gameplay, but that is not always intended to be obvious to the other player.

Whether it actually happens probably depends more on how much arm twisting CIG decides to apply to players working together than on any underlying game tech.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?