New World MMO! - Server East Coast - Valhalla - Covenant

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I'll give it a try, its not that expensive and if I can't get into the PvP endgame stuff hopefully the PvE and crafting stuff will give me my money's worth

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I was in the closed beta for about 40 hours and am not sure if I will get free access to this new beta. If not I will not be paying for it at least not until I have seen some reviews of the final game,.
This trailer / hands on review seems fair and the in-game footage that starts at 47 secs is as I recall it. He mentions the grind which was an important point for me. (I am also under NDA.)

• o7

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Haha, I still play Destiny 2, Anthem is supposedly going through a major re-work... if they do the right thing and it's free to those of us who paid for the half-assed game we got then I'll check it out. Otherwise I won't be giving them my money again. This game looks cool, not interested in PvP but I'm always up for a new story and adventure. What I like is that it appears to be FPS based combat.

• o7

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
While this game looks great, immediate RL finances have to come 1st. Perhaps next month I'll be in a better position to look into it further.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I have to wait and see what the pve vs pvp balance will be, I haven't really liked pvp only games since Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online (yes I am old!) I much more prefer a WoW type approach these days, pve oriented and pvp if you want to kind of layout.

• Glorious

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut

Looks good, I will prolly end up trying it.

My 2 cents on their pvp system, I have issues with battleground, limited or instanced type pvp, 50vs50, 5vs5 etc... the issue I have is its usually random, when you have a system built on a restriction many times its going to come down to class types, gear etc.. I know they say their pvp is a skill based in this game, every game company in every game always claims its skill based, but lets take skill out of the equation for a second and say most people are decent it then comes down to gear, level, class etc... and this is why I hate WoW bg system, this is why I have not really pvp'd since Warhammer Online or Dark Age of Camelot or even Guild Wars 2, those games had true open world realm vs realm combat where strategy and skill actually made a difference, of course the size of your army did as well but usually the army size was not as big of a factor especially if people remember Dark Age of Camelot because it was a 3 realm system, even a smaller realm had chances to win or change the outcome of a battle.

I am definitely going to give this a shot, it looks cool, I like the action style gameplay, the no restrictive classes and being able to just level what you want to play. I hope the open world pvp is well done as I really wont do much BG type pvp, but for sure I think its worth looking at considering the current state of play in World of Warcraft which is what I play for the most part when it comes to MMO.

• o7

Starscribe

Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
Managed to get a key to the closed beta after the pvp changes, under NDA for details but suffice to say I've lost all interest and suggest people wait to see exactly what the game is now before ordering.

I'd have been all over it if it were like the beta we had last year, it looked really promising.
I'm not allowed to say if I'm in the same boat, because of the NDA.

Read between the lines...

I am, however, very much not disagreeing with what you say...

• o7

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
From my point of view, Not Disagreeing with Anything doesn't break NDA as it neither confirms nor denies. So you have your legal tails covered in my opinion.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Sorry for posting in the wrong thread earlier @Montoya. I'll repeat my post here, I purchased the pre-order on amazon, but I didn't get a product code so I can't add it to steam from what I can see. Do I have to also sign-up for the beta as well or will I just be notified when they start it?

• o7

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
I have heard the same from early beta testers, but here are my thoughts:

In Star Citizen there is a a group of players that are pvp focused. When CIG changed the combat mechanics and introduced auto gimbal turrets, they lost their minds claiming the game is now crap.

CIG made changes that a small group of pvpers didnt like, but the change was more beneficial for the larger community.

I expect any changes New World made from the early beta were done to make the game more appealing to a broader audience.

I would suggest that anybody who is going to be upset about spending $50 on a game they dont like, to not bother buying it until its been out for a few months.
The changes they made to pvp essentially removes free pvp, because they saw people picking on low levels in an alpha that meant nothing to anyone. The draw to this was the open world pvp anywhere. They have essentially removed this completely. Good news is, until the game is released you can refund anytime before that.

• o7

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Every video I saw showed open world pvp its just that you have to choose to be flagged or not which is very similar to many other games out there, I would have preferred a server based option, if you want pvp all the time then join a pvp server and be flagged 100% of the time.

But I know why they went from a game focused on pvp to more of a balanced option and its clear you will attract a way bigger base with both options, provided the pve is done well vs just a game focused on pvp alone. Again this will all very much depend on how well the pve side of the game is done, if they drop the ball on the pve end they might as well have left the game alone and stuck with the pvp version.

• o7

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
But if you want pvp, there is COD, CS:GO, Fortnite.. plenty of great PvP games out there already! :D
Caveat to this though, a lot of pve people come into games designed with open world pvp etc. and those pvpers get drawn in first then the PvE people flood in demanding changes etc. and a small loud voice overrides what drew hype and attention to begin with and change the game. Case in point Black Desert, their pvp was fundamentally different then what it was now and imo better. After the changed it killed a lot of interest from the pvp crowd to begin with. Changing for pve is and find and, but when you change the original premise that drew in pvp players and kill it for them. What you get is pve players that can play pvp and pvp players looking else where. PvP players are actively looking for a game designed for them where, " care bears" dont get to dictate how they pvp. I equate it to pve players going to cod forums and getting AI shoved into matches, but they get to choose if they want to engage with players or not and the original player base has to deal with it. It's nice and all, but the original design is now fundamentally changed pissing off the original player base. The new people come and and pretty much to the OG playerbase to go elsewhere etc. harassing people for wanting what was originally promised. I've seen this shit happen A LOT in games with original design.

• o7
Forgot your password?