New World MMO! - Server East Coast - Valhalla - Covenant

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit
You guys can count with me on the beta! Hope latency don't force me out of playing with you (living in Europe)

PS. July 23 is the new date for beta. Perhaps it will run till August like Gw2 made it before launch

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The game gets a lot of hate already from people not happy with the PVP vs PVE situation, but I will reserve judgement until I get in there myself and play it a bit.

The crafting and customization looks great to me, it checks a lot of the boxes I had for the system.

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit
The game gets a lot of hate already from people not happy with the PVP vs PVE situation, but I will reserve judgement until I get in there myself and play it a bit.
Hate is nothing new to anyone following Star Citizen, right? That being so, I am pretty sure these expressions of hate towards New World are just shallow forms of untreated frustration.

Funny enough, the fact that there is a new world to explore online is what attracts me. This time I would like to start an online game alongside some good fellas, seems to be fun. The 5$ steam summer discount didn't hurt, though.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken

The crafting and customization looks great to me, it checks a lot of the boxes I had for the system.
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa! Reserve judgement? You mean you aren't going to hate on a game you haven't played yet? That just doesn't make any kind of logical sense, I can't process it.

• o7

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
My biggest issue with the crafting system (it's minor in comparison to some I've had in many MMO's) is their lazy implementation of one part. As shown on their Twitter, the usually showcase various weapon types. If you actually look at the images they show, one is a crafted item, one is a drop or quest item or something of that sort. The only difference in any of the appearances is a different glow or color or effect look on them. They all use the same base model for every weapon which is kind of sad.

Again this is a minor issue and yes they may be placeholder item models they are using until full live release but that is my only issue with the game so far. Other than that I'm pumped as each day gets closer

• o7

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa! Reserve judgement? You mean you aren't going to hate on a game you haven't played yet? That just doesn't make any kind of logical sense, I can't process it.
Oh yeah? Well that one game you like is terrible and here is a 45min video explaining why!

• o7

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit
I can't help but remember GW2 release and its betas.

It is clear as crystal that in the first of 3 betas the trait systems was way different, much more in line with GW1. Players commented and it was changed, bit by bit. I wonder if weapons and other elements that sound repeated or limited will simply get iterations and improvements. Today, GW2 has the particular issue of having just way too many skins lol

• o7

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
So while im in the alpha im on NDA. It has no content and its on an identity crisis. If this is something that breaks a NDA please delete, but it doesnt know what it wants to be and it doesnt do anything great. I honestly dont care about the NDA, but hit me up on discord if you want more specifics. From my understanding what is in the alpha now will be at release and it doesnt look good.

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
So while im in the alpha im on NDA. It has no content and its on an identity crisis. If this is something that breaks a NDA please delete, but it doesnt know what it wants to be and it doesnt do anything great. I honestly dont care about the NDA, but hit me up on discord if you want more specifics. From my understanding what is in the alpha now will be at release and it doesnt look good.
You aren't very good at NDA are you lol. NDA literally means you agree to discuss nothing but you are on advertising that you are willing to discuss anything people ask about the game in private and trust them to keep quiet after? You do realize that can get you perma banned from the game and potential legal action if the company chooses to if anything you say potentially gets out and is exposed before the company is ready and it drops sales for them right?

• o7

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
You aren't very good at NDA are you lol. NDA literally means you agree to discuss nothing but you are on advertising that you are willing to discuss anything people ask about the game in private and trust them to keep quiet after? You do realize that can get you perma banned from the game and potential legal action if the company chooses to if anything you say potentially gets out and is exposed before the company is ready and it drops sales for them right?
I have no issue with HoHo's opinion. If you want to enforce NDAs, then stop giving away keys for random rolls. I've heard the same complaints from other people. I just hope we see more content added.

• o7

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
I have no issue with HoHo's opinion. If you want to enforce NDAs, then stop giving away keys for random rolls. I've heard the same complaints from other people. I just hope we see more content added.
I mean, just because people don't care about the NDA doesn't mean they don't have to abide by it lol. Same people would then complain they got banned because they didn't know what they did wrong although they full on knew

• o7

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
I mean, just because people don't care about the NDA doesn't mean they don't have to abide by it lol. Same people would then complain they got banned because they didn't know what they did wrong although they full on knew
The ban police is gonna come! You violate NDA and get banned. So be it. Doesnt change his opinion of New World in it's current state.

• o7

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Ive watching plenty of reviews from people who hate the game are and pissed about the pvp, its not as if it is going to be a surprise to me.

Ive pre-ordered. If I can get a two or three weeks of solid play, Ill be perfectly happy and will consider it worth the money.

If I get 3hrs and have to quit, then I promise I will make a 45min video ranting about how horrible the game is and the world is ending.

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
Ive watching plenty of reviews from people who hate the game are and pissed about the pvp, its not as if it is going to be a surprise to me.

Ive pre-ordered. If I can get a two or three weeks of solid play, Ill be perfectly happy and will consider it worth the money.

If I get 3hrs and have to quit, then I promise I will make a 45min video ranting about how horrible the game is and the world is ending.
Plenty of time to decide during beta if it's going to be interesting or a failure. Looking forward to it.

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
The ban police is gonna come! You violate NDA and get banned. So be it. Doesnt change his opinion of New World in it's current state.
When did I ever state because he was under NDA he had to change his opinion of the game. I've been under NDA before and am now for another game. There are parts I don't like and parts I like. Doesn't mean I can freely give out that information

• o7

Heartwood

Space Marshal
Oct 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Heartwood
Im gonna drop a text bomb now.

Albion Online - a german game that did it mostly wrong is now being sort of reimagined into new world done by professionals (thank god).

Played the alpha to release, gave feedback in form of ~ 1000 posts on their forums, made it to round table and exchanged personal messages with the developers and a couple with the CEO.
The game had a ton of potential, all lost due to PVP enforcements. Over the course of 3 years, the dev team managed to first pull in players with the promise of player driven economy and pvp only to then walk back on it in favor of a pure pvp build.

We had 300+ members in our guild (Casual United) and we did farming and supply runs for pure pvp guilds. People were focused on crafting skill lines, you had to unlock every single one. There was 1 (useful) character per account and things were looking great. People whispered you if you were known for being a good crafter. Guilds had roles to fill and life skill players enjoyed bein needed and being useful.

Then they came up with Learning Points as a subscription and allowed multiple characters per account. They reduced crafting skill lines into families (swords for all 1h, 2h + special), increased farming timers from 8h to 22h, put a bottle neck on T5 resources to push people into red zones (full loot), they made most T5-T7 resources into pvp hotspots, did not limit alliances and did not regulate city plot auctions.

The result was a shit show; manipulative players throwing cash at devs to get a headstart for plots, buying most city plots, then put up a tax to remove and dominate any rival.
Crafters were not needed as you just made 3 characters, 1 pvp, 1 refining and 1 crafting alt, gave all three the sub bonus and circumvent using the market.
Farmers were left in the dust of multy account players and zerg guilds, abusing the 22h timer to put 1-3 people in charge of 150+ farming plots, creating a massive overload of horses and food, allowing their dominace to grow. Then using their masses to farm mobs for silver (there was no balance at first and you were able to kill T7 or T8 mobs with T3 to T4 gear), to buy the gold currency at a rate of 50-150 for 1 gold (it has increased to 2000+ for 1 gold).
This allowd them to constantly own all city plots, buy out all resources in the market place and then relist those at a higher price to dominate. They were able to buy up 30%+ of all territories with their millions in silver and pushed their gatherers to T8. We had 1-3 mega alliances at all times. They did not touch each other as it would have been a waste of time. But they never missed out on killing new players on sight or abusing them as guild slaves (you could allow entry into a guild by paying a fee on top of a guild tax (90% i.e.).
The cherry on the cake was the gold system; as a dynamic currency, you were able to control the price by dumping or investing millions of gold. Some guild leaders had a pretty close connection to GMs and devs, so they waited for the moment when the developers forcefullly watered the economy down with silver, to reduce the gold price during a holiday season. GMs and or devs told players about those events and they were able to snapshot the market yet agian for more gold.

As you can see, PVP as the main design goal made life skill players fodder and slaves for zerg guilds. I watched it happen, i did interviews with guild members and got the same feedback.
We lost 95% of all playes due to those imbalances. Game went to steam, then free to play. The saddle point was reached, when 100.000+ players melted down to 10.000, then 5.000 active players and so on.
CEO left the studio, game director doubled down on pvp only mechanics and that was that.

It is a toxic game concept if not done perfectly balanced and fair. From that point of view, i am looking at new world with a lot of hope.

Sorry for the long post, this is personal topic and i actually only wanted to say that pve and life skills are a ton of fun if they serve a role and are not dominated by pvp (or pve). Three pillars, all have to work together well. Most you tubers i have watched have zero clue about that and only want pvp or viewer numbers.

Ser medieval is the only content creator i'd highly recommend following for new world. He has 1000+ hours in the game and seems to understand the system well enough.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?