News crytek/CIG case

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I am no lawyer but if the case is dismissed does CIG come after Crytek?
Even if CIG has a material claim against Crytek, they likely won't sue.

Crytek is presumably nearly bankrupt, so winning vs them just means you spend a TON of money on lawyers and then you get nothing in exchange.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Apparently the 6 december 2018 the judge granted the CIG motion to dismiss. Crytek have 21 days to amends that.

So will they keep trying ?
Thanks for letting us know :)

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Even if CIG has a material claim against Crytek, they likely won't sue.

Crytek is presumably nearly bankrupt, so winning vs them just means you spend a TON of money on lawyers and then you get nothing in exchange.
I had no idea Crytek was that broke lol and we all knew the claims were a stretch.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I had no idea Crytek was that broke lol and we all knew the claims were a stretch.
They went a very long stretch trying to force their developers to continue to come into work despite having not paid them for months and admitted they weren't going to be able to for months more, so one of their complaints is that CIG 'stole' many of those employees (somewhat reminiscent of Anthony Johnson's 1655 Casor suit) when they hired them.

Reactions: Phil

Blazingcold

Admiral
Oct 16, 2018
RSI Handle
Steelcold
I remember first watching this case in January earlier in the year and had finished reading about them going in the hole a few weeks before that. They couldn't make money anymore so they decided to take some from a previous customer/product promoter, also not long after there claim against CIG other companies that about had there hands into cryengine did a very fast 180. Over the next few months crytech showed more of the true colors with the handling of the contract with them and CIG. Instead of what they thought would be a solid case they have switch to a war of attrition in the courts.

Reactions: Deroth

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
I read this as the Judge saying.
Crytech,-- "on the current facts your case is without merit, but I give you 21 days to revise your argument and come up with some more substantial facts"
That's right. The issue is that Crytek has already revised their initial claims - I doubt they have anything more substantial or they would have tried it.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
I really hope we finally get to move past the mildly concerned phase of this lawsuit to the point and laugh phase. Until it's completely shutdown there is always a chance some lawyer will be able to spin something to their favour.

Reactions: Deroth

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Crytek is presumably nearly bankrupt, so winning vs them just means you spend a TON of money on lawyers and then you get nothing in exchange
This is the curious part to me.

The hired Skadden to represent them, which is an extremely expensive and highly respected NY based law firm.

Either they had an existing retainer that they wanted to use up, or they were using fresh money to do this. If they went into this with fresh money, it was a hail mary play which just bombed badly.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Derek can Crytek me a river, that's the Smart thing to do.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
I am no lawyer but if the case is dismissed does CIG come after Crytek?
As a total law "noob" (something opposite of a lawyer I guess) I see that ruling is conditional on absence of "prominent display" of Lumberyard ads, and as such leaves a decent chance for Crytek to continue

Forgot your password?