No Cutlass, No Pirates?

NapalmX

Space Marshal
May 16, 2014
RSI Handle
UpUrShaft
So I skimmed through the Cutlass complaint thread and, after wiping away the blood pouring from my eyeballs, I got the distinct feeling that everyone who wanted to fly in PU as a pirate is rejecting the ship as it is planned. Will this mass melt/CCU cause a shortage of pirates in the verse?

Seriously, all ships are pirate ships. Any ship with a gun attached is a dogfighter. Everything in game, as in life, is up to the individual. Skill is paramount. The ship is just a tool.

Now that the Cutlass will be shunned, what will replace it? Do not mention the Buccaneer. It doesn't exist, probably never will.

Reactions: DcTrojan72

Zull Reicher

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Tiltz
The Cutlass will still be around. It will just be surrounded by a flight of [REDACTED]. Or maybe the pirates will get smart and start flying the Freelancer MIS. lol. Cutlass was always a cheap piece of crap to me.

Serious Table

Admiral
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Serious_Table
I imagine you'll likely still see Cutlasses, but what will happen is that Piracy will not be a solo activity. With the knowledge from the Cutlass design post that it's not meant to handle a Freelancer of all ships, you'll probably see Piracy fleets that involve much harder hitting ships such as the Hornet, Avenger, even the Sabre, kitted out with Disruption tech, and the Cutlass used as the cargo transport with a tractor beam.

Otherwise, if you can float crates from one ship to another, maybe the next step in Piracy is the Freelancer.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Now that the Cutlass will be shunned, what will replace it? Do not mention the Buccaneer. It doesn't exist, probably never will.
How is the Cutlass shunned? I am more than happy with the development update. Shows that they are approaching the matter in a mature mindset.
Piracy should not and cannot be a solo activity. One ship cannot cover all roles and whoever thinks that the Freelancer will cover all roles on its own is in for an unpleasant surprise.

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
So I skimmed through the Cutlass complaint thread and, after wiping away the blood pouring from my eyeballs, I got the distinct feeling that everyone who wanted to fly in PU as a pirate is rejecting the ship as it is planned. Will this mass melt/CCU cause a shortage of pirates in the verse?

Seriously, all ships are pirate ships. Any ship with a gun attached is a dogfighter. Everything in game, as in life, is up to the individual. Skill is paramount. The ship is just a tool.

I think people are stuck with the idea that CIG is completely changing the design of the Cutlass, even though they're really not. The biggest complaint I keep seeing repeated is "Ermagerd, more than 1 crew?!?" even though CIG has said that even much larger ships are flyable with one man and AI doing the work. They've also said from the beginning that no ship can do everything, especially alone. In fact, I think that's even in the fluff blurb for the Caterpillar, specifically alluding to being on the front lines to loot/salvage whatever a pirate kills...

Honestly, it seems like a massive circle jerk of tards with fingers in their ears screaming "NAHNAHNAH CAN'T HEAR YOU!".

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
How is the Cutlass shunned? I am more than happy with the development update. Shows that they are approaching the matter in a mature mindset.
Piracy should not and cannot be a solo activity. One ship cannot cover all roles and whoever thinks that the Freelancer will cover all roles on its own is in for an unpleasant surprise.

But but the freelancer has 2 big ass guns and in the commercial it destroyed 2 cutlass in a single shot! Didnt you see how manueverable it was too! /s

A pirate ship is any ship a pirate uses. If krystal the pirate uses a aurora then that aurora is a pirate. If he pilots a bengal that bengal is a pirate ship. Lets not label thing pirate or combat or smuggler ship. Especially piracy since piracy is so fluid in its ship, using whatever they need to get their target.

Reactions: Krystal LeChuck

NapalmX

Space Marshal
May 16, 2014
RSI Handle
UpUrShaft
Just a little hyperbole from me. It's just that I just got through reading the last 20 pages of the thread and all I got from it was betrayal, disappointment and downright hostility towards everyone at CIG.

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
I agree, I'm really looking froward to the updated flight model. And a free fly at some point so I can try it out... The articulated engines ought to give it decent turning, but not as much as a dedicated fighter!

I think a swarm of cutlasses would be good for pirating, they've got decent firepower, they're just lacking in maneuverability. Also, they don't have the same cargo capacity of the freelancer they're stealing from, so the more the merrier!

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Just a little hyperbole from me. It's just that I just got through reading the last 20 pages of the thread and all I got from it was betrayal, disappointment and downright hostility towards everyone at CIG.
Welcome to RSI forums... But in all seriousness, read the Cutlass dev update. This is what is happening and CIG was right in the way they approached the matter.

Opiepal

Space Marshal
May 31, 2014
RSI Handle
Opiepal
I somewhat disagree. I only bought the Cutlass Blue because of the unique body style, and now they are making them all the same hull with some attachments that "change" the appearance. So in other words the same ship with different modules...

I can understand changing stats, but going back and saying they will all look the same after advertising differently to me is a bait and switch, whether intended or not...

Just a little frustrated...

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
I imagine you'll likely still see Cutlasses, but what will happen is that Piracy will not be a solo activity. With the knowledge from the Cutlass design post that it's not meant to handle a Freelancer of all ships, you'll probably see Piracy fleets that involve much harder hitting ships such as the Hornet, Avenger, even the Sabre, kitted out with Disruption tech, and the Cutlass used as the cargo transport with a tractor beam.

Otherwise, if you can float crates from one ship to another, maybe the next step in Piracy is the Freelancer.
Well as we said in the army, you can bomb the shit out of a hill but its not yours until your boots hit the soil.

What the Cutlass has more than any other ship in its size, is boarding capabilities. And you will need boarders to steal other people's shit instead of blowing them up.

NapalmX

Space Marshal
May 16, 2014
RSI Handle
UpUrShaft
I've read the Shipyard post and don't understand why all the anger. The Cutlass is modular, looks bad-ass and has it's speed an manoeuvrability improved. The ship looks great.
Posted this tongue firmly planted in cheek.
I believe that this will be the last RSI thread I will ever read . Just don't
understand all the push-back, to the point where CIG feels that they have to offer a brand new ship.

Reactions: Trick Shot Bob

NapalmX

Space Marshal
May 16, 2014
RSI Handle
UpUrShaft
I'm gonna have a couple of more beers and wander around my hanger.
May just make some room for a Red that I melted a while back

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
The Cutlass is supposed to be a cheap and effective ship for piracy. imagine repairs being cheap, and then the ship being versatile enough, to capture and hold cargo , and its maneuverable enough either with yaw or whatever to dog fight its way out, if you've got a good pilot. Maybe the freelancer can do different tasks better, but over all the Cutlass being so much cheaper, means your overall more productive, making a larger living from the savings.

Maybe it will cost 2/3rds to fuel and fly, then 2/3rds to repair, and your able to fly it a week sooner too ! Also, it can hold more cargo once you do blow something up. Say, maybe almost 50% more... that adds up. I think the cutlass is a great concept and idea, and more then has its place.

There are going to be people who will eventually say things like, don't fly what you can not afford to insure. You know how it is in real life, one you make a claim with insurance, your premium goes up. You end up paying that cost you "borrowed" back to the insurance company one way or another. Maybe its best to master a cheap effective ship[ like the Cutlass first.

Then again, LTI removes some small principle of this insurance thing.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I think one of the reasons the Cutlass was a pirate ship was because it cheap to replace if it gets fucked up.

Forgot your password?