Not far from $500 million in funding UPDATE - 500 Mil hit

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The thing is the zbuffer is culled normally after all the object meshes have been updated. So in general terms all objects are placed on the scene then polygons behind others in the z direction (into the camera or behind the camera ie what you see on the screen) is culled. Not always as new engines need those objects for shadows, ambient occlusion and some other lighting effects.
So... if I spun on the spot to cause a buffer cull...?

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
So... if I spun on the spot to cause a buffer cull...?
It would probably wait until you stopped spinning to do an update. You can't focus on an area in your real life if you're spinning either.
I've seen some developers even simulate a player getting dizzy from doing that. It gives the game a moment to figure out what the player should be seeing. I have not yet seen a game simulate getting nauseous yet, but please don't discuss this in Spectrum. No need to give CIG more ideas.

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
If a players pushes a call elevator button and no one is in the lift shaft to see it, does it exist?
According to Schroder and his damn cat it exiists in both states until you open the door and observe it for yourself. But you cant tell anyone because the elevator will eat you before you can tell its secrets. Its a catch 22.

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
It would probably wait until you stopped spinning to do an update. You can't focus on an area in your real life if you're spinning either.
I've seen some developers even simulate a player getting dizzy from doing that. It gives the game a moment to figure out what the player should be seeing. I have not yet seen a game simulate getting nauseous yet, but please don't discuss this in Spectrum. No need to give CIG more ideas.
I like it, lets do it, and lets make them also give us a fluid dynamic simulation of the puke based on the types of food and drink we've been giving our avatar when we vomit inside our helmets and only have a minute to remove it before we suffocate on our own wretched cud or button smash desperately to eat it all back down because were in the cold vacuum of space. Im salivating at the ultra-realism. DEATH or VOMIT, bwuahahahaa!

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
According to Schroder and his damn cat it exiists in both states until you open the door and observe it for yourself.
Schrodinger was half right. We also could assume that no cat even existed until the door was opened to gain knowledge of it, so neither state existed until knowledge of the cat existed.

In this regard, it hasnt happened in Star Citizen until we've seen it for ourselves. And the result will either be good or bad.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Schrodinger was half right. We also could assume that no cat even existed until the door was opened to gain knowledge of it, so neither state existed until knowledge of the cat existed.

In this regard, it hasnt happened in Star Citizen until we've seen it for ourselves.
You get half marks for knowing about Schrodinger's thought experiment, but that isn't what he was trying to show.
It was a critique and illustration of a problem in the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, that even some physicists still get wrong.

A simple way to demonstrate: If the square of your height is 36 feet, then your height is? 6 feet?
Ok, then, what is the square of -6 feet? -6X-6 = ? 36.
Just because an equation exists that can be solved that way does not mean it is actually possible. Your body can't be -6 feet long.

He was showing that the superposition of quantum particles (i.e. entangled particles can have opposite "spin"*) cannot apply to macroscopic particles such as atoms, molecules, cats....

* nothing is spinning that we know of, it's just a way of expressing a vector. If I have two entangled quantum particles, and I know the spin of one of the particles, then I automatically know the spin of the other particle, because it's' always the opposite vector (otherwise they're not entangled).

This is part of how quantum computers work btw.

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
You get half marks for knowing about Schrodinger's thought experiment, but that isn't what he was trying to show.
It was a critique and illustration of a problem in the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, that even some physicists still get wrong.

A simple way to demonstrate: If the square of your height is 36 feet, then your height is? 6 feet?
Ok, then, what is the square of -6 feet? -6X-6 = ? 36.
Just because an equation exists that can be solved that way does not mean it is actually possible. Your body can't be -6 feet long.

He was showing that the superposition of quantum particles (i.e. entangled particles can have opposite "spin"*) cannot apply to macroscopic particles such as atoms, molecules, cats....

* nothing is spinning that we know of, it's just a way of expressing a vector. If I have two entangled quantum particles, and I know the spin of one of the particles, then I automatically know the spin of the other particle, because it's' always the opposite vector (otherwise they're not entangled).

This is part of how quantum computers work btw.
All I heard was that the bubbles in my beer are entangled with my tongue when I chug in a clockwise direction and that my twin brother in the southern hemisphere will also have his beer chug swirl in a counter clockwise direction, thus we will both be inebriated at the same time and drunk calling each other. This still does not resolve my issue of $500 mil and still being eaten by the elevator.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
All I heard was that the bubbles in my beer are entangled with my tongue when I chug in a clockwise direction and that my twin brother in the southern hemisphere will also have his beer chug swirl in a counter clockwise direction, thus we will both be inebriated at the same time and drunk calling each other. This still does not resolve my issue of $500 mil and still being eaten by the elevator.
What happened to the $500 mill is called quantum tunneling. There one minute, gone the next. Happens to my beer all the time.

Forgot your password?