Not sure if anyone caught this during atv butt.....

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
All I can do is theory-craft and wait for them to hand us what they hand us 🙂

I'd expect swimming to be a thing purely because there is a pool aboard the 890 Jump. No 890 owner is going to be satisfied having all that pool space eaten up in their ship if they can't even take a dunk in it, and once it's implemented for the 890 hopefully it would be able to be used on any calm body of water...?

In Chris Roberts game Freelancer there is a planet you can dock at (as you had to enter planets through strictly controlled entry gates I'll call it docking) which was an entire water-world, with just one single platform you landed at to speak to someone as part of a mission. Felt like filler to be honest as you could have landed anywhere to get that info... If CR was anything back then as he is now you just know he had something bigger intended for that water world that didn't come to fruition in that project...

There are water-worlds in the Lore for SC, most notably Ergo - a planet of the Nemo system. From what we have seen they are not going to be in the habit of dumping filler into Star Citizen if they can help it, so a whole planet that you can't explore to some degree? That's not this projects style and I think they will do their level best to give us something to do there.

As far as water-play, technically speaking as long as a spaceship is lighter than the amount of water it displaces (the principle of buoyancy), because it is sealed to the vacuum of space there should be no entry point for water and should not be able to gain weight/alter their displacement and sink... That doesn't mean that the engines will work submerged, however.

We may even find some manufacturers ships can find ways to function submerged without major modifications, like with the Aurora and Constellations VTOL fans and simply flooding and repressurizing the cargo bay they may be able to hobble their way through an under water mission, and the Connies airlock entries could be modified to pump water as well as air making it potentially viable as a long term submersible... whereas other ships like Drake just won't be able to, no fans for propulsion, and ships like the the Cutlass and the Herald void the whole ship when opening the door - they would sink like a stone. Some manufacturers may have engines that do function under water like Star Bug from Red Dwarf which could propel itself under water (episode Back To Reality) and even through molten lava (end of the episode Gunmen of the Apocalypse)

That's not to say there may not be specific watercraft like there may indeed be specific aircraft eventually just like there are specific ground craft now, however for use submerged like a submarine there would have to be a type of Ballast system built into the ship too that would make it rather specific. The Starfarer or even the Endeavor Cab section may need these systems to be able to dive deep enough into gas giants to refine or analyze the most exotic of elements...

Thats my theory-craft take on it anyway 🙂 If we don't get it eventually, it won't be that it wasn't considered, it will have been that it was just not deliverable by the time the game arrives... They always said "We need to build the foundations so we can implement bigger better stuff later on, and if you build shallow foundations it makes it near impossible to put on the extras later" but wether that means pre or post-launch is anyones guess 🙂

Last edited:

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
I read everything @NaffNaffBobFace wrote and I completely agree. Chris Roberts complained that he was tired of the corporate polotics and corner cutting in the game industry which was why he tried to segway into hollywood... only he found the same thing there. His entire goal, when he realized he could fully crowd-fund his project was to build a game exactly the way he envisioned it. So I'd say, expect to go for a swim on an 890 jump or anywhere for that matter at some point in this project.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
haha, no I'm just nerdy enough to read the whole damn thing... not sure how I did though. This time change always kicks my ass and I'm sitting here looking at the clock thinking F^&k you time change!!

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
As far as water-play, technically speaking as long as a spaceship is lighter than the amount of water it displaces (the principle of buoyancy), because it is sealed to the vacuum of space there should be no entry point for water and should not be able to gain weight/alter their displacement and sink... That doesn't mean that the engines will work submerged, however.

We may even find some manufacturers ships can find ways to function submerged without major modifications, like with the Aurora and Constellations VTOL fans and simply flooding and repressurizing the cargo bay they may be able to hobble their way through an under water mission, and the Connies airlock entries could be modified to pump water as well as air making it potentially viable as a long term submersible... whereas other ships like Drake just won't be able to, no fans for propulsion, and ships like the the Cutlass and the Herald void the whole ship when opening the door - they would sink like a stone. Some manufacturers may have engines that do function under water like Star Bug from Red Dwarf which could propel itself under water (episode Back To Reality) and even through molten lava (end of the episode Gunmen of the Apocalypse)
Right on! In the old sci-fi paper and pencil game, I remember a scenario where in Imperial ship carrying a huge payroll crashed on an interdicted planet...the punchline was, the ship had crashed into a lake that was used by the local population, so the trick was finding it while avoiding detection by the Imperials and the locals...the key part was trying to land in the lake and get underwater...ah, memories...

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
All I can do is theory-craft and wait for them to hand us what they hand us 🙂

I'd expect swimming to be a thing purely because there is a pool aboard the 890 Jump. No 890 owner is going to be satisfied having all that pool space eaten up in their ship if they can't even take a dunk in it, and once it's implemented for the 890 hopefully it would be able to be used on any calm body of water...?

In Chris Roberts game Freelancer there is a planet you can dock at (as you had to enter planets through strictly controlled entry gates I'll call it docking) which was an entire water-world, with just one single platform you landed at to speak to someone as part of a mission. Felt like filler to be honest as you could have landed anywhere to get that info... If CR was anything back then as he is now you just know he had something bigger intended for that water world that didn't come to fruition in that project...

There are water-worlds in the Lore for SC, most notably Ergo - a planet of the Nemo system. From what we have seen they are not going to be in the habit of dumping filler into Star Citizen if they can help it, so a whole planet that you can't explore to some degree? That's not this projects style and I think they will do their level best to give us something to do there.

That's not to say there may not be specific watercraft like there may indeed be specific aircraft eventually just like there are specific ground craft now, however for use submerged like a submarine there would have to be a type of Ballast system built into the ship too that would make it rather specific. The Starfarer or even the Endeavor Cab section may need these systems to be able to dive deep enough into gas giants to refine or analyze the most exotic of elements...

Thats my theory-craft take on it anyway 🙂 If we don't get it eventually, it won't be that it wasn't considered, it will have been that it was just not deliverable by the time the game arrives... They always said "We need to build the foundations so we can implement bigger better stuff later on, and if you build shallow foundations it makes it near impossible to put on the extras later" but wether that means pre or post-launch is anyones guess 🙂
Very well put my friend well done

Forgot your password?