Oculus Quest - new wireless 6DoF headset

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I was on board until the "no PC" section. It looks like it's just a headset to play its own platform exclusive titles. Like a Nintendo Wii version of an Oculus. I want VR to explore super polished, rich environments, not to play monochrome tennis or bowling. I can't help but get a Nintendo "Virtual Boy" vibe off this thing. I may be judging it to harshly, but there's a reason I rarely play console games and stick to my PC.

Reactions: Ammorn

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
It will be interesting to see how they implement it. I have played a lot of Skyrim VR, spells and archery feel good. The lack of sword weight / inertia in your hand and crappy feedback when you strike something requires attention. A strong force feedback in a heavy-ish sword/lightsabre peripheral well implemented would be of interest.

My problem with skyrim swords is that I can win just using wrist movements and do not need full arm/body so I get lazy.

Reactions: Ammorn and Bambooza

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I may be judging it to harshly, but there's a reason I rarely play console games and stick to my PC.
You are not the target demographic here.

With the expensive fancy HMD plugged into my main PC, this mobile one will most likely be used by the kids.

Its not going to give you the rich experience of the flagship model, but the freedom of movement makes up for that!

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
You are not the target demographic here
I rarely am anymore. It feels as if most things today need to be dumbed down or made kid friendly for it to become popular. Guess older gamers like me need to be on the lookout for our own interests as they rarely advertise the complicated stuff.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Back in my day we didn't have this fancy "multiplayer lobby", we had to call our friend on our landline phone and tell them to get ready to receive our modem call! It took up to an hour to get the damned things to link up and then it played like shit. And we were happy about it! God forbid one of your parents picked up the phone!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Back in my day we didn't have this fancy "multiplayer lobby", we had to call our friend on our landline phone and tell them to get ready to receive our modem call! It took up to an hour to get the damned things to link up and then it played like shit. And we were happy about it! God forbid one of your parents picked up the phone!
Oh the joys. I remember the first time I joined the multiplayer lobby in Starcraft and how huge that was.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Modems? Maybe, but we tended to drag our massive computers and CTR’s to each other’s houses and set up a LAN which required terminators

Shadowscout

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Shadowscout

Back in my day you had to get off your ass and go outside and physically go round to your friends house

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
IMO any resolution less than 4k per eye is Not Ready For Prime Time

whatever isn't moving looks like a pixelated mess

early adopters won't get much bang for their bucks

Forgot your password?