Odyssey

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
I feel the need to upgrade my Carrack now :( I hate CIG marketing!
So what is the carrack for now??!?!!?
Yeah, this is what is sorta bugging me; I was really hoping for something somehow *different* and not just a 'better' Carrack. I'll probably grab the CCU, but will hold off on applying it; I WANT to be able to stay true to my Carrack love!

Kowalski

Captain
Aug 3, 2021
RSI Handle
KowaIski
Yeah, this is what is sorta bugging me; I was really hoping for something somehow *different* and not just a 'better' Carrack. I'll probably grab the CCU, but will hold off on applying it; I WANT to be able to stay true to my Carrack love!
My thoughts exactly. Based on info released so far, the Carrack not only will have the superior cargo capacity, but also long distance scanning/charting/repair, whenever those mechanics come out.

Like you, I'm holding the CCU in my inventory until I learn more

Long term, I think a true exploration will have at least one of each, with a couple support ships flying alongside them.

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
So what is the carrack for now??!?!!?
I have a feeling the Carrack is still the better EXPLORATION ship, ie likely better navigation/sensors for finding jump points, etc. Odyssey just has ability to stay out indefinitely (pending it can get food/resupplies for the crew). It's basically like the nuclear sub of SC... only reason it ever needs to "surface" is for crew rations.

I would love to buy this, but exploration just isn't my focus. I'd definitely go serve on one as ships doctor/gunner though :)

Edit: Also, how I see this differs from the Endeavor variants... is that this can refuel itself where the Endv can't. BUT, the Endeavor has the big engine/jump section at the rear which I think means it could go further on a "single tank of gas" (so to speak). The cab section on the Endeavor is slightly different in that its likely more heavily armored/shielded but basically defenseless (well just 1 S5 turret). It can MAYBE go to slightly more hostile areas of space than the Odyssey can...but thats pure speculation at this point.

Last edited:

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
My thoughts exactly. Based on info released so far, the Carrack not only will have the superior cargo capacity, but also long distance scanning/charting/repair, whenever those mechanics come out.

Like you, I'm holding the CCU in my inventory until I learn more

Long term, I think a true exploration will have at least one of each, with a couple support ships flying alongside them.
Basically, the Carrack is superior for Jump Point scanning, charting and all around exploration. The Oddy is superior for long term mining exploration.

ThunderKraken

Space Marshal
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
Thunder_Kraken
I have a feeling the Carrack is still the better EXPLORATION ship, ie likely better navigation/sensors for finding jump points, etc. Odyssey just has ability to stay out indefinitely (pending it can get food/resupplies for the crew). It's basically like the nuclear sub of SC... only reason it ever needs to "surface" is for crew rations.

I would love to buy this, but exploration just isn't my focus. I'd definitely go serve on one as ships doctor/gunner though :)

Edit: Also, how I see this differs from the Endeavor variants... is that this can refuel itself where the Endv can't. BUT, the Endeavor has the big engine/jump section at the rear which I think means it could go further on a "single tank of gas" (so to speak). The cab section on the Endeavor is slightly different in that its likely more heavily armored/shielded but basically defenseless (well just 1 S5 turret). It can MAYBE go to slightly more hostile areas of space than the Odyssey can...but thats pure speculation at this point.
So the odyssey is a plug in hybrid while the carrack has Apple play, heated seats, and superior towing?

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
Comparison of specs on Odyssey, Carrack, and Endeavor so far (most details lacking on Odyssey of course):

OdysseyCarrackEndeavor
Radar?1 Large1 Medium
Computers?3 Medium4 Medium
Power plants?1 Large1 Capital, 1 Large
Coolers?2 Large4 Large
Shield GeneratorsS4, # TBA2 Large2 Large
Fuel Intakes?2 Large2 Large
Fuel TanksLarge, # TBA2 Large2 Large
Quantum DriveLarge, # TBA1 Large1 Capital
Jump Drive?1 Large1 Capital
Quant Fuel Tanks?2 Large1 Capital
Remote Turrets3 S51 S5, 2 S41 S5
Manned Turrets-3 S5 HP (S4 guns)-
MissilesYes, # TBA--
Cargo Capacity252 scu456 scu500 scu
Crew Capacity2-64-63-5
Length140m126m200m

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Comparison of specs on Odyssey, Carrack, and Endeavor so far (most details lacking on Odyssey of course):

OdysseyCarrackEndeavor
Radar? (1 Large)1 Large1 Medium
Computers? (4 Medium)3 Medium4 Medium
Power plants? (1 Capital)1 Large1 Capital, 1 Large
Coolers? (1 Capital)2 Large4 Large
Shield GeneratorsS4, # TBA 2 Large2 Large
Fuel Intakes? (2 Large)2 Large2 Large
Jump Drive? (1 Large)1 Large1 Capital
Quant Fuel Tanks? (1 Large)2 Large1 Capital
Remote Turrets3 S52 S41 S5
Manned Turrets-2 Turrets (S4 guns)-
MissilesYes, # TBA (Size 3, 4 racks)--
Crew Capacity2-6 (1-6)4-63-5
Length140m126m200m

From what I have been able to glean from the Pledge Store and the "Discover the Odyssey".

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik

OdysseyCarrackEndeavor
Radar?1 Large1 Medium
Computers?3 Medium4 Medium
Power plants?1 Large1 Capital, 1 Large
Coolers?2 Large4 Large
Shield GeneratorsS4, # TBA2 Large2 Large
Fuel Intakes?2 Large2 Large
Jump Drive?1 Large1 Capital
Quant Fuel Tanks?2 Large1 Capital
Remote Turrets3 S51 S5, 2 S41 S5
Manned Turrets-3 S5 HP (S4 guns)-
MissilesYes, # TBA--
Crew Capacity2-64-63-5
Length140m126m200m
Then I played it right cuz now I have all 3. And I didn't spend any cash on the Odyssey... I keep telling myself. It was store credit. That's cheaper than cash. Isn't it?

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
I decided to keep my Carrack. Someone here has to in case the Odyssey doesn't turn out as well as everyone exspects it to be.

Carrack+
Drones, Science Lab, Repair Station, smaller size (smaller wormholes, smaller landingzones), more cargo/modularity might turn out to be great advantages and I don't expect the SC Universe to grow past a point the Carrack can't reach anytime soon ;)

Most importantly I already gave my Carrack a name!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I decided to ask a question in the Spectrum Q&A forum & I hope that some of you might like the question enough to upvote it.

My question was, "The stated hangar of the Odyssey is size XS. With the XS being approximately : 32m long, 24m wide, 12.5m tall, is there any possibility that the rectangular shaped hangar could be enlarged slightly during its development enough to accommodate the fitting of a Freelancer Dur to round out the exploration capabilities of the Odyssey? "

My thinking is that IF a Dur can fit in the Oddy's hangar, then that could be used to explore more areas that the Oddy can't go, like through smaller jump points, while hopefully the ability for the Oddy to mine & refine fuel could be used to aid the Dur in a harmonious symbiotic relationship. The link to my question is below & all that upvote or comment on it are greatly appreciated.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/misc-odyssey-q-amp-a/4614587

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I decided to ask a question in the Spectrum Q&A forum & I hope that some of you might like the question enough to upvote it.

My question was, "The stated hangar of the Odyssey is size XS. With the XS being approximately : 32m long, 24m wide, 12.5m tall, is there any possibility that the rectangular shaped hangar could be enlarged slightly during its development enough to accommodate the fitting of a Freelancer Dur to round out the exploration capabilities of the Odyssey? "

My thinking is that IF a Dur can fit in the Oddy's hangar, then that could be used to explore more areas that the Oddy can't go, like through smaller jump points, while hopefully the ability for the Oddy to mine & refine fuel could be used to aid the Dur in a harmonious symbiotic relationship. The link to my question is below & all that upvote or comment on it are greatly appreciated.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/misc-odyssey-q-amp-a/4614587
It's a good question.

Has the Freelancer got its physicalised components pass yet? If not its dimensions may yet change...

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
It's a good question.

Has the Freelancer got its physicalised components pass yet? If not its dimensions may yet change...
Honestly, I have no idea. I was simply thinking outside the box for ways to hopefully inspire a potential symbioses between MISC ships geared towards exploration. At the size it's at, you could most likely pair it with an Origin 315p, but with the Oddy being MISC & the Dur right there, it just felt that would be the better pairing.

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe

As the Odyssey is a mining exploration ship, I feel the Prospector (which can fit in those hanger dimensions) would be a better choice. But, that being said, the DUR does merit some thought.

Forgot your password?