Optain Memory

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
This is the only AIO that I've seen that I would consider buying, only because it uses standard parts that are upgradable.
View: https://youtu.be/Bfq3OAGJvTQ

Also is space is a concern you could look into and ITX build or some of the small form factor PCs like the Corsair One. They are tiny.
yeah its pretty sweet, you can also use it as just a monitor if you want to in the future.

Reactions: StdDev

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Also if space is a concern you could look into and ITX build or some of the small form factor PCs like the Corsair One. They are tiny.
I may need to go that route. I definitely want to investigate the land of touch monitors, and this above does not seem to go that way. I am planning to go mouse and keyboard, in a compact space, and if I can tap the screen to point a swivel gun on a Sentinel, Prowler, or Polaris, others will die more quickly; which is what I am all about.

Is there a concern with a long line to the monitor? Are their extensions that do not degrade quality, etc?

Last edited:
Reactions: StdDev

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
This is the only AIO that I've seen that I would consider buying, only because it uses standard parts that are upgradable.
View: https://youtu.be/Bfq3OAGJvTQ

Also is space is a concern you could look into and ITX build or some of the small form factor PCs like the Corsair One. They are tiny.
My wife was talking about getting AIO's for the kids as their machines are ageing. I don't believe this is the machine she was thinking about...now the question of the day. Are my kids worth this machine?

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
My wife was talking about getting AIO's for the kids as their machines are ageing. I don't believe this is the machine she was thinking about...now the question of the day. Are my kids worth this machine?
I guess that depends on how old they are and what kind of condition they are in. You should be able to get decent trade-in value as long as you've taken care of them.

Reactions: Phantomoftruth

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
My concern with an AIO is what happens if the monitor dies? Having replaced my monitors once already during the life of my current machine (5 years old and waiting for at least one more year....please make it one more year), I am more worried about my monitors failing then my computer. Also, how easy is it to get in and blow out the AIO? I blow my case out at least once every 6 months, if not twice.

As for kids...I would get a mini box and build that...especially if they don't need a real powerful graphics card. Now, if they are going to be taking it to school (college or high school), get them a good 15 inch laptop (or 13 inch if it's not for gaming) By good, I mean cheap. It WILL get dropped, lost, sat on, dumped on the floor, etc during those 4 years. Either that, or get something that's designed to take abuse like a panasonic toughbook. That will be a lot more costly, but you need to figure out which will be the better value based on replacements/repairs over 4 years.

My company (non rugged) computer used to get repaired every year due to the large amount of traveling I did. Even though I was careful and always used a protective bag, it would still break on average 1x a year. That machine was always replaced before the warranty expired and given to some poor engineer that never left the office. Also, it wasn't just me...everyone in my department had the same issues if they were traveling with the frequency I was (I averaged something like 36 hours at home and 132 hours on the road each week for 4 years not counting vacation time)

Point is...college students put even more abuse on their laptops. If I had a choice, I would send any kids I had down with a desktop...a big honking one where the tower weighs 40 lbs so they are not tempted to move it. Then give them a couple of pens and a notebook (and MAYBE a tablet or smartphone) and say..here..learn to take notes the old fashioned way.

Reactions: DarthMunkee
Forgot your password?