Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
See new article today
https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006895793

It seems to me the terms basically have you give up all your fair use rights.

"You agree that CIG has the right to review your use of the CIG Fankit and any other material that uses or derives from, in whole or in part, any property, trademark, copyrighted, or original content created by or for CIG, and further agree to remove or cease usage of any unapproved or disapproved work or material at CIG’s request. "

I am not agreeing to that or downloading that fan kit.

For projects I work on like the screenshot fan website I'm making, I'll gladly put in a disclaimer and even the "made by community" logo.
But I am not giving up my fair use rights.

I am bound by the original TOS for my RSI account, but as a content creator, I'm not obliged to accept these new terms.
And it seems that the new "Made By community logo" has to be slapped on literally everything fan content related? I dunno.

It makes no sense to me why they would get so aggressive, imo it's too far.

I normally support CIG's decisions.. but this is a bit much.

Just my 2 cents.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
So why? Well since there been a quiet a bit amount of TOC breaches they might be tiered of it which is not hard to understand if they step up the game on some new stuff.
To use that fan kit material to protect your fan creations, you have to agree how it's used on your fan creations.
As I see it it protect anyone using it the right way to be reported for TOC breaches, sued etc.. hence saving them a lot a time checking stuff to for that matter.
For I think they get a lot of reports on TOC breaches so by using this on any fan creations, it take them a sec to check allegation of TOC breaches and such and move on.
From what I see nothing actually changed but they made a collection of stuff to use if you do serious fan art work that you want to spread around so it help protect it, you and them.
I for one will definitely use it if I do any serious fan made creation, still don't stop me doing how I done stuff earlier.
I'm still under same TOC that don't get canceled by agreeing to the use of the fan kit.

CHEERS!

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
I can see this potentially causing issues,

"Also, you must not use the name of any in-game entities, (i.e. ship manufacturers) as it may create confusion among visitors trying to distinguish our official site from an unofficial one. (Besides, our in-game entities have their own lore and identity; as a fan, you should be proud of your own story instead of trying to co-opt someone else’s)."

What if your handle, stream, or other online identities already have something like Aegis, Drake, and the like in it? Basically can make some have to change their own image going forward or may discourage others form making content under such a distinction.

Also saw this as well: "Please see the request form below; if you wish to 3D print a model for yourself, you may request permission to do so, but permission for any other use is subject to RSI’s permission, which may be granted or withheld at our sole discretion."

I planned on 3d printing a Reclaimer for my desk because I think it is an awesome ship, so now I have to ask for something that is for personal use? I understand completely IP protection as I have done some content creation and work on broadcasting esport matches, but this does feel like it is coming on a little strong, hopefully they revisit it after some discussions with major content creators and community members to make it more inviting to use and improve it along the way.

Just my thoughts as I would love to be able to make content in the future, but I feel this is quite limiting my ability to do so.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I mean, this seems pretty fair to me. Consider if you made something beautiful like a flower, and then you shared that flower with others, you would want to make sure the flower was well cared for and not abused. If it were abused, you would reserve the right to ask that person to stop abusing your flower.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Also from the Fankit FAQ's:

Common uses for the Fankit include social fan sites, stream graphics, personal computer or phone themes, and social media postings for the purposes of showing enthusiasm, support, and personal, non-commercial interest.

Physical goods or merchandise (like shirts or other clothing, stickers, posters, etc.) present a different question.

Since the production of merchandise and physical goods often involves money or payments of some kind, making physical “fanwear” or other goods can approach a level of commerciality that is not appropriate. We know that this area can present a lot of confusion, and know that most fans really want to do right by the game and by us.

If you want to make Star Citizen-themed fan projects, you can request permission by submitting a ticket addressed to "Legal Department: Fan Item Request". If permission is possible, you will receive a response indicating any changes or updates to the design or scope of use needed to receive permission. If you receive a negative response or do not receive a response, you must assume that permission has not been granted.
https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006895793#h_5659462911061531322192074

I think they are trying to ensure no one makes dolla off their hard work. It's a kit for fans, not a kit for coin.

------

I also personally think it's to give them control over abuse of the assets in the Fankit beyond physical goods, too:

For instance, I have a PM discussion with Virtual Ace on Spectrum, which as long as they don't wipe it in an update one day I shall treasure forever. It's as you'd have expected from VA, so if I then put the "Made By The Community" logo on it and post it everywhere, its toxicity gives the community a negative connotation rather than a positive one and CIGs disclaimer there gives them full right to whup my ass for using their fankit to damage the community, not boost it. Imagine if any one of the main detractors we see every day used the fankit to produce a critical piece about the project covering it with official logos to give it more credence... It's just not what the fankit is for.

People making critical pieces with the assets could claim fair use weilding CIG's own assets against them... if they hadn't agreed to wave their rights to that claim when downloading the kit.

Last edited:

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
I planned on 3d printing a Reclaimer for my desk because I think it is an awesome ship, so now I have to ask for something that is for personal use? make it more inviting to use and improve it along the way (...)
Fankit FAQ says:

"(...) if you wish to 3D print a model for yourself, you may request permission to do so".

-- English is not my native language but I believe it means you *may* ask for a permission, not that you *have to*.

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
I am fine with this, especially for “content creators” who basically do nothing other than read out CIG press releases over CiG produced videos with nothing more than a few seconds of their own “created content” tacked on the end.

Fuck it, ive got a real issue with some you tubers and streamers in general, youve got people doing the above, youve got people using CIG assets and just shitting on the game and the community, youve got streamers zero efforting and shitting on the game and just spending their times begging for subs and follows, its a mess CIG have to have some control over how their content is used by other people.

And before i get hammered, theres a world of difference between what I am complaining about, and the excellent work and content produced by STLY, Tactical advance, Bad News Baron, SuperMac, Snake_Eater, and of course our glorius and infallible god king (peace be upon him, I am unworthy to even be considered to be condemned to an eternity of suffering consumed within his fiery wrath).

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Nothing to see here IMO.

They just want to make sure they hang onto their intellectual property. The law requires them to take steps such as this.

Otherwise some asshole could start using SC to promote a DS trash game, or some other equally ugly scenario.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
It makes no sense to me why they would get so aggressive, imo it's too far.
They need to aggressive with the perceived implementation, but when it comes to actually claiming rights to your work, they will not as long as its fair use.

The reason being is that there are a lot of creators using their IP, whether its a challenge coins or a 3D printed model of a ship being sold on Ebay.. they need to clamp down on that hard. This fankit and TOS wraps up all of this into a nice tight package.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Aren’t copyrighted works only protected if you’re shown to be willing to enforce that copyright?
Exactly, and this shows willingness.

Probably like disney when you see some of the cases for what most people would consider to be petty enforcement of their IPs, but it shows a history that they are willing and able to take steps to defend them.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
So, what I'm reading is, you'll all be happy to use that "Made By Community" Logo on all your future star citizen content and videos which feature any CIG material like game footage, Logos, or other other CIG assets? 😁If I understand the terms correctly, which I probably don't because not an attorney, CIG can do with every community made content as they wish, every content that you create and share on their platform or events, they don't need to ask your permission to use anything you make that features their content, or a derivative work of their content, as they wish. They're also telling you how you must make your content with disclaimers. Am I getting this right?

I don't mind CIG protecting their rights, I encourage it, but I also believe in common decency between two parties in how they should mutually respect each other if they are mutually benefiting from each other. I'm using CIG's content under fair use, but I also respect their content and that's apparent in the content I make. Therefor, I too want that same mutual respect to me as a "content creator" and as a pseudo wanna-be "artist".

And to me, that means not telling me how to make my "art".

Last edited:
Reactions: Mich Angel

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
So, what I'm reading is, you'll all be happy to use that "Made By Community" Logo on all your future star citizen content and videos which feature any CIG material like game footage,
If I make a video that has 600sec of gameplay, I dont slap on their logo, thats ridiculous. They will also not do anything about it.

BUT!!! They retain the right to claim it, as they always have. They need to posture, which is all this really is.

Forgot your password?