Overland Navagation

Tarra

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 15, 2021
RSI Handle
Tarra1
I am trying to do a bunker mission on Hurston but the weather is terrible. I have to land the ship a couple thousand meters away from the target just to avoid the batteries protecting it. The weather is so terribvle visibility is limited at best to none at all. Is there a tool or trick to plotting a course and holding to it or am I missing something?

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I am trying to do a bunker mission on Hurston but the weather is terrible. I have to land the ship a couple thousand meters away from the target just to avoid the batteries protecting it. The weather is so terribvle visibility is limited at best to none at all. Is there a tool or trick to plotting a course and holding to it or am I missing something?
Don't touch your mouse. Then just W, use A / D to strafe past obstacles instead of turning your screen.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmm there is a mission marker, if not, just open the mobiglass, select the mission and click the "track" button bottom right corner.
That marker will likely disappear once ou get close to the outpost, but if you land a bit far you should have it as a reference of the bunker position.

BTW, as far as I know automated turrets doesn't track ground vehicles, so if you have a cutlass you can load up a Cyclone and use it to approach the bunker, far far more convinent then walk.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Often (not always) there are low lying hills near the station that you can hide behind. However, when the weather is shit, it can be hard to find them...I'll land a distance away, get out, and as I'm going to the outpost, I'll note if there are any big depressions...if I didn't get far I'll then move my ship closer.

I use my Cutty Red a lot, so if I die and respawn, it is easier to move my ship closer!

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Tarra

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 15, 2021
RSI Handle
Tarra1
Hmm there is a mission marker, if not, just open the mobiglass, select the mission and click the "track" button bottom right corner.
That marker will likely disappear once ou get close to the outpost, but if you land a bit far you should have it as a reference of the bunker position.

BTW, as far as I know automated turrets doesn't track ground vehicles, so if you have a cutlass you can load up a Cyclone and use it to approach the bunker, far far more convinent then walk.
Thats is a hell of an idea I also use a cutty red. I wonder what will fit in the back.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Thats is a hell of an idea I also use a cutty red. I wonder what will fit in the back.
Tecnically you should be able to fit a Cyclone, but I'm not sure how easy is to get in and out of it and enter the ship after.
Probably better to looks for a Nox, it should fit more easily (I have concern about the lengt of it) but be aware grav vehicles are a bit buggy right now

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
We need a goddamned compass ASAP!
I've been in this situation, and had to navigate by the laser fire from the batteries firing at my ship which I landed in-range but behind some hills for cover.
Any time I did this on Hurston, I had my ship killed or made inaccessible by the time I got out of the bunker. Either the wind blew it over and I couldn't get in, or even if I could it just blew up as it was on it's side or roof... Other times the ship just very slowly bounced away from where I put it down, usually ending up in the line of fire and went boom. So yeah, not really happy.

edit: just to stay on brand, Drake Dragonflies are cheap as chips in-game, so you could try fitting one of those? it might be too large though, no idea.

Chrono_naut

Admiral
Feb 21, 2021
RSI Handle
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Chrono_naut
I've been in this situation, and had to navigate by the laser fire from the batteries firing at my ship which I landed in-range but behind some hills for cover.
Any time I did this on Hurston, I had my ship killed or made inaccessible by the time I got out of the bunker. Either the wind blew it over and I couldn't get in, or even if I could it just blew up as it was on it's side or roof... Other times the ship just very slowly bounced away from where I put it down, usually ending up in the line of fire and went boom. So yeah, not really happy.

edit: just to stay on brand, Drake Dragonflies are cheap as chips in-game, so you could try fitting one of those? it might be too large though, no idea.
Compass and surface coordinate system.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino

That should came with the HUD rework scheduled (and confirmed) for 3.14 for ships adn in 3.15 (hopefully) for FPS.... or at least I hope so becouse pinpointing location by the triangulation method is a mess...

For the Dragonfly I think it should fit: is narrower then a Cyclone but the lengt is the same if I remembber correctly... keep in mind that a-grav vechiles are super bugge right now.
Eventually an alternative could be a GreyCat PTV, that will surely fit and can leave anough space to enter/exit the ship... just don't kno how it will perfom on rough terrain.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
As there are OM points around planets they should be able to be used as GPS ground location points even on planets/moons which don't have a magnetic field for compasses to work. Someone upgrade those Mobiglas apps!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
That should came with the HUD rework scheduled (and confirmed) for 3.14 for ships adn in 3.15 (hopefully) for FPS.... or at least I hope so becouse pinpointing location by the triangulation method is a mess...

For the Dragonfly I think it should fit: is narrower then a Cyclone but the lengt is the same if I remembber correctly... keep in mind that a-grav vechiles are super bugge right now.
Eventually an alternative could be a GreyCat PTV, that will surely fit and can leave anough space to enter/exit the ship... just don't kno how it will perfom on rough terrain.
I really hope we get a fully working compass by end of year!

The Greycat was the first thing I bought after my bounty hunter package when it was first put into the game. It has been mostly broken ever since. A for a very long time it was like a lowrider, slammed to the ground, yet it drove mostly okay until it blew up from damage. I think they fixed that issue, last time I tried it(2-3 patches ago?) the height issue was gone and it could drive on any surface, no matter how rough. Haven't tried it in this patch yet.

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?