PC Build advice

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I can second (third, fourth, fifth? I dunno how many people I'm agreeing with) with the i7 and the extra RAM, and that 2070 Super is a pretty big upgrade from the 2060 for not that much money. I just built a new rig myself, Ryzen 3800X, RTX2070Super and 32gb of RAM, and it was a huge huge huge improvement over the old i7 3770K and SLI GTX980 i was running before. For what it's worth, I think the rig you're looking at will play SC as well as any other computer out there. Just don't expect a solid 60FPS at all times, since this game isn't optimized at all yet, and you'll be pleased!!
I defenetly double all of that above: drop to the i7 and go for 32Gb of RAM, also if you can sqeez in a 2070 Super and a batter PSU for more overclock capability and some headroof for the powersupply (peak efficiency is normally in a 30-80% loand range).
Also for cooliing I'll look for a Noctua Heatsink or a BeQuite!, not a really fan of the CoolerMaster thing and price are preatty the same if not cheeper.
For the RAM look for the g.Skill: they are not so fancy put price is generally better and performance, as long as you stick with the same specs, should be the same.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Hmmmmm. i9-9900... I think that the i7-10700 has similar specs as the i9-9900. It definitely has better heat management. Motherboard would maybe be a bit more expensive. 32GB over 16GB is yeah sure, do it!!!!

Personally I would go for the i9-10900, but since I build a i9-9900KF 2 months ago... no option. Since 2006 I bought 3 CPU, 3 GPU. It always are long term investments. The one from 2006 outlived 2 quality PSUs, MB didn't had any GBit or SATA anymore, 100MB ethernet and IDE also worked. Only suspend, poweroff would take a looong time to boot up, something to do with capacitors on the MB, but it still worked, until the bitter end. That redefined the definition of a limping system 😁

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Hmmmmm. i9-9900... I think that the i7-10700 has similar specs as the i9-9900. It definitely has better heat management. Motherboard would maybe be a bit more expensive. 32GB over 16GB is yeah sure, do it!!!!

Personally I would go for the i9-10900, but since I build a i9-9900KF 2 months ago... no option. Since 2006 I bought 3 CPU, 3 GPU. It always are long term investments. The one from 2006 outlived 2 quality PSUs, MB didn't had any GBit or SATA anymore, 100MB ethernet and IDE also worked. Only suspend, poweroff would take a looong time to boot up, something to do with capacitors on the MB, but it still worked, until the bitter end. That redefined the definition of a limping system 😁
Don't know what you mean by the heat management my CPU i9-9900K stay ruffly around 45-50°C under high load like on games like SC, DCS, The Hunter Call of the Wild... like simulation games or doing 3D animations etc.. I Don't find that specially hot and it idle normal surfing the web, watching streams etc.. around 29-32°C

But that mean you have to set up bios correctly for the i9-9900K and KS series or it will run hot.
I seen some idiots reporting i9900K series including KS up to 68-80°C and keep running it like that, and not think like "oh hey I might set this up wrong"

Mostly cause some peps leave the intel boost on in the BIOS thinking the boost will help, well that function is not needed on the i9-9900K and only make it run hot with no performance benefit.
Or you might need to get some next level high end cooling system that probably cost twice of the computer. ha ha ha... or just set it up right and all is good.

CHEERS! 🍻 🍻

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Don't know what you mean by the heat management my CPU i9-9900K
Mine too, but that is not the point. When Intel has to boost to catch up, they raise speed or put more cores in. Essentially overclock the cpu a bit more so they get more performance. They did this, however Intel also made the heat transfer between chip and heat spreader better by making it thinner. More speed and cores with the same kind of chip and same kind of cooler without breaking the heat barrier.
That is what I call: better heat management.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
While everybody debates over which parts to get, I still advise waiting until the major manufacturers release their next line of products to get whichever products are selected at much better prices, which should be within the next 3 months.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
While everybody debates over which parts to get, I still advise waiting until the major manufacturers release their next line of products to get whichever products are selected at much better prices, which should be within the next 3 months.
Computex. I dont think this year we are going to see much with the whole covid deal, economy shrinkage, and with the most recent releases of the I9 K series and new threadripper. id say maybe 2-3 years from now we will see big moves again by both amd and intel.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Mine too, but that is not the point. When Intel has to boost to catch up, they raise speed or put more cores in. Essentially overclock the cpu a bit more so they get more performance. They did this, however Intel also made the heat transfer between chip and heat spreader better by making it thinner. More speed and cores with the same kind of chip and same kind of cooler without breaking the heat barrier.
That is what I call: better heat management.
Ah yeah got ya that make sense, in the end it's the final build result that matters! CHEERS! 🍻

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Computex. I dont think this year we are going to see much with the whole covid deal, economy shrinkage, and with the most recent releases of the I9 K series and new threadripper. id say maybe 2-3 years from now we will see big moves again by both amd and intel.
I wasn't referring to Computex because it had already been announced cancelled, but the main tech manufacturers are supposedly still going to host their own online events to debut their new products if they haven't already as well as give a date for their releases to the best of my knowledge.

• o7
Reactions: Mich Angel
Forgot your password?