Performance issues in 2.4? Just me?

Capt_Baldi

Grand Admiral
May 13, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt_Baldi
Hi there!

It's been a long time since I've been here, and man stuff have happened! Both on this site but also with Star Citizen! Dayum!
I just noticed the 2.4 announcement the other day and I was stoked!

I downloaded over night, got home from work the next day, kissed the wife, tucked the kids into bed and placed my self in front of my PC, in hopes of having a blast playing the new 2.4 release!

But... 15 minutes with 10 fps later I became rather sad...

When I wake up in game, I can have 30 fps or so inside the cabin.
As soon as I exit the room my FPS drops to 15-20 fps.
When I get to the main hall where I can request my ship it's down to 9-15 fps, and then it stays there..

Am I the only one having performance issues or is it a common thing?
I hope there's not alot of these threads and I'm just another "whiner". :)

My rig is an i5 3570 processor, 16 GB ram, with a GTX 970 graphics card.
I'm running with Medium settings on 1920x1080, with Motion Blur, Radial Blur and AO turned off in the config file.

I tried to run SC when it was on patch 2.1 or something like that, and my fps were like 40-60 constant.

If I'm not the only one with this issue, have any of you found a solution for it yet?

Thanks in advance!

/TheUnknownDane

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
I've been having the same issues. I was unable to play any of the beta because of the same problem. The last time i tried, it did a lot better, and I had been fooling around with my video card settings. I have an i7-6700K OC'd to 4.3, with dual GTX960 in SLI also OC'D slightly, The one thing I noticed was that the CPU was running at 50-52% when it was slowest and 20-25% when it was working normally. I still can't load area 18 and the start-up times are very long. I took the OC'd elements down to the native speeds, disabled the SLI, reloaded the game, and generally shut down all other programs without an improvement. I'm still having an ongoing discussion with support, and if I learn anything I'll let you know. You may want to be sure you've only started one instance of the game.

Last edited:

Capt_Baldi

Grand Admiral
May 13, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt_Baldi
@ratfeast Alright that's sounds a bit comforting. I might check the status of my CPU and GPU the next time I'm gonna test it out.

@CosmicTrader xD So I'm alone with the problem, and everyone is experiencing it. Well that's somewhat contradictory? xD

Reactions: AstroSam

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Hi there!

It's been a long time since I've been here, and man stuff have happened! Both on this site but also with Star Citizen! Dayum!
I just noticed the 2.4 announcement the other day and I was stoked!

I downloaded over night, got home from work the next day, kissed the wife, tucked the kids into bed and placed my self in front of my PC, in hopes of having a blast playing the new 2.4 release!

But... 15 minutes with 10 fps later I became rather sad...

When I wake up in game, I can have 30 fps or so inside the cabin.
As soon as I exit the room my FPS drops to 15-20 fps.
When I get to the main hall where I can request my ship it's down to 9-15 fps, and then it stays there..

Am I the only one having performance issues or is it a common thing?
I hope there's not alot of these threads and I'm just another "whiner". :)

My rig is an i5 3570 processor, 16 GB ram, with a GTX 970 graphics card.
I'm running with Medium settings on 1920x1080, with Motion Blur, Radial Blur and AO turned off in the config file.

I tried to run SC when it was on patch 2.1 or something like that, and my fps were like 40-60 constant.

If I'm not the only one with this issue, have any of you found a solution for it yet?

Thanks in advance!

/TheUnknownDane
I've read in German forums about the same issues. There are guys with really impressive rigs, running SC with 20 fps although having the power of GTX980ti or Titan X under the hood. It seems that CIG currently has performance issues in view of the quantity of players. While those GTX980ti-guys are playing with 60 or 70 fps on empty servers, the fps drops significantly the more players are in the instance/on the server.
Im guessing, looking to all the problems of CIG - not only looking to the performance but also the instance topics and generally the HUGE size of that project AND all the game play inventions that have to be made - that SC will start earliest end of 2017 or beginning of 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: ratfeast

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
I've read in German forums about the same issues. There are guys with really impressive rigs, running SC with 20 fps although having the power of GTX980ti or Titan X under the hood. It seems that CIG currently has performance issues in view of the quantity of players. While those GTX980ti-guys are playing with 60 or 70 fps on empty servers, the fps drops significantly the more players are in the instance/on the server.
Im guessing, looking to all the problems of CIG - not only looking to the performance but also the instance topics and generally the HUGE size of that project AND all the game play inventions that have to be made - that SC will start earliest end of 2017 or beginning of 2018.
It's clearly not related to the rigs performance. I wonder if any of you are having issues with other than GTX cards? Let's see if we can locate the common elements of our builds.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Sometimes pew pewing is hard.
I have 980m SLI and the game likes to drop framerates on me as well. I've heard the issues are server side.

Capt_Baldi

Grand Admiral
May 13, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt_Baldi
I'm glad to see I'm not alone on this.
I'm gonna report it to RSI as well. It would be nice to be able to play if I'm to test all of the new features.
It's quite hard to do any testing at 10 fps. xD

KiwiB1rd

Space Marshal
Apr 14, 2016
RSI Handle
OceanSloth
I have had this issue too, as a temporary fix I adjusted the resolution in the settings to from 1920 x 1080 --> 1280 x 720. Although this will make the smaller text and any finer details in the game a bit blurry, I did get about 20 fps more than before and was able to play without any stutters. [There will still be a slight pause when the SF is spawned but this is server side not client]

This is what I'm playing on:
Untitled.png

Last edited:

Capt_Baldi

Grand Admiral
May 13, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt_Baldi
I have had this issue too, as a temporary fix I adjusted the resolution in the settings to from 1920 x 1080 --> 1280 x 720. Although this will make the smaller text and any finer details in the game a bit blurry, I did get about 20 fps more than before and was able to play without any stutters. [There will still be a slight pause when the SF is spawned but this is server side not client]

This is what I'm playing on:
View attachment 2549
Hmm I might actually try this, just to see if it gives anything noticeable.
Will return.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
This is not a system issue but a server issue. The server performance directly affects your fps, that is why everyone is seeing this no matter what rig they have. I am running a highly OCd FX-8350 and ridiculously OCd R9 290 and still get 15-20fps in UNIVERSE, while going up to 100fps in Drone Sim.

At the moment there is no other option than wait for server performance fixes.

Forgot your password?