Performance issues

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
Hi All,

I've noticed quite a reduction in game performance with the IAE update, sometimes up to a slide-show. Not only around NewBabbage area, but overall. Something similar to when we had an update post 2.6.3 where the game was calculating every item in game, without distance cut-off.

Anyone noticed performance issues?

Cheers! 🍻

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I've not flown off planet yet I've been groundbound for the expo apart from flying my 'Farers over the city but I've getting between 12 and 20 frames per second which isn't unusual for my machine to be lower in city, but yes the expo has bought that down a bit even on what I normally see. I stay away from Babbage, Lorville and ArcCorp, my frames leave much to be desired when I get round those areas.

The MSR day and the... I think it was the Drake Day...? were both horrendous walking from the elevator into the expo hall, about 4fps crossing that threshold but it got better once I was in the room as long as I didn't fall through the floor.

Haven't been off planet to see what it's like in the deep-black through. I can usually reach 30/40fps up there.

For anyone who doesn't know, press the Tilde Key (the one to the left of the number 1 on a UK keyboard) to bring up the debug screen, and type "r_displayinfo 3" without the speech marks, and it brings up the frames per second you are currently getting in the top right, to make it go away type "r_displayinfo 0".

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Hi All,

I've noticed quite a reduction in game performance with the IAE update, sometimes up to a slide-show. Not only around NewBabbage area, but overall. Something similar to when we had an update post 2.6.3 where the game was calculating every item in game, without distance cut-off.

Cheers! 🍻
Yeah things have gotten choppy.

It's been stated before (a long time ago) in videos that the servers are at capacity, they can barely fit the usual stuff in, and the expo has probably done a number on that. Also servers are filled to the brim with the free fly and everyone checkin in to see the free shiny ships. Yesterday night it was really bad, there was also some problems they tried to resolve according to the server status page. All in a all with what @Black Sunder said and the above, it's a small miracle that we can even log in...

Tldr.: yes there are performance issues, again...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Its the number of entities that are being tracked. NB atm has anywhere from 90K-110K+ at any time with the expo.
Grief, I saw the entities thing on the "r_displayinfo 3" I didn't realise that was the number of active bodies floating around the place over the span of the servers I assumed it was some kind of assets loader thing?

Reactions: Vavrik

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hi All,

Cheers! 🍻
Well on NB yes, a lot, especially for the first minute this morning after what appear to be a server reset (have to re-spect the character and some reputation progression are gone...), but outside of this cases I find it wwork actually quite well, if not better then the 3.11.0.
Some ruubber-banding sometimes while doing NPC bounty missions, but noting so critical. I0ve to say that I'm being at A18 or Loreville yet, but those places are always take a toll on performance.

Reactions: Vavrik

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Grief, I saw the entities thing on the "r_displayinfo 3" I didn't realise that was the number of active bodies floating around the place over the span of the servers I assumed it was some kind of assets loader thing?
That number is only for the current area you're in + global things they track.

Even on a loaded server, you fly out to a rest stop in the middle of nowhere you'll see an FPS increase.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Yeah things have gotten choppy.

It's been stated before (a long time ago) in videos that the servers are at capacity, they can barely fit the usual stuff in, and the expo has probably done a number on that. Also servers are filled to the brim with the free fly and everyone checkin in to see the free shiny ships. Yesterday night it was really bad, there was also some problems they tried to resolve according to the server status page. All in a all with what @Black Sunder said and the above, it's a small miracle that we can even log in...

Tldr.: yes there are performance issues, again...
What I don't get, is why don't they just scale the servers up majorly during these events? I mean, if they spent like a million to rent some extra capacity for two weeks, they'd probably make at the very least twice as much back from everyone just having such a positive experience and deciding to invest into the game. Now this horrendous lag, and related issues like falling through floors, kinda defeat the whole point of having a free fly in the first place.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
That number is only for the current area you're in + global things they track.

Even on a loaded server, you fly out to a rest stop in the middle of nowhere you'll see an FPS increase.
Youch that number was in the high 30/40k when I noticed it, if that's local for just me and the six other people who were in the expo room no wonder the NPC's are standing on the chairs again 😅

Reactions: FZD and Vavrik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
What I don't get, is why don't they just scale the servers up majorly during these events? I mean, if they spent like a million to rent some extra capacity for two weeks, they'd probably make at the very least twice as much back from everyone just having such a positive experience and deciding to invest into the game. Now this horrendous lag, and related issues like falling through floors, kinda defeat the whole point of having a free fly in the first place.
Very true!

I'm guessing there are technical limitations? They can't just add more servers to work on the same instance, that's why we need server meshing working fully?
I dunno.
Maybe they are just greedy?

Reactions: FZD and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Very true!

I'm guessing there are technical limitations? They can't just add more servers to work on the same instance, that's why we need server meshing working fully?
I dunno.
Maybe they are just greedy?
Do we know the schedule for when they working on server meshing? I haven't had time to follow roadmap progress for most of this year.

Forgot your password?