Piracy Piracy Division/Squadron Organization Brainstorm

Ryonin Shonin

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
RyoninShonin
Hey, coming in late and haven't read all 24 previous pages...

Have we played around with the RSI Mantis at all? Ideas could be to hang out between 2 planets on a trade route, and intercept either drug runners or players with bounties on their heads.

Or, we could go after people at drug labs and keep them from jumping...
I have not, but i would be interested to participate

Reactions: Blind Owl

SerenityOne

Commander
Nov 15, 2019
RSI Handle
SerenityOne
Plus UEE probably wouldn't be too happy about all the blatant piracy and illegal stuff happening on a land claim in their turf. I don't think you need a land claim for non-UEE space anyway, since the land claim basically just, well claims the land and the UEE checks off on it's yours.
Agreed, I think one of the most important parts of Piracy is that your going to have to be mobile to avoid getting caught.Cat and Kraken being perfect for a mobile base of operations.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Yeah, Ares is super interesting. An Ion would be super great for slapping down the shields of larger cargo ships like the Hull C+, BMM, Starfarer, etc etc. If it's designed to damage Capital shields, it should pound Large ones real nice.

Inferno also is super rad. Nothing says "power down and open the cargo ramp" like seeing your entire engine block get filled with 200 rounds in 4 seconds.

Personally, I'm going to be dropping my Buccaneer for an Ares although I'm torn between the two.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Yeah, Ares is super interesting. An Ion would be super great for slapping down the shields of larger cargo ships like the Hull C+, BMM, Starfarer, etc etc. If it's designed to damage Capital shields, it should pound Large ones real nice.

Inferno also is super rad. Nothing says "power down and open the cargo ramp" like seeing your entire engine block get filled with 200 rounds in 4 seconds.

Personally, I'm going to be dropping my Buccaneer for an Ares although I'm torn between the two.
I was torn between both as well. I feel like the Ion would serve me better in the Privateer role, but dammit the brrrrrrrrrrt is gorgeous.

So I got both.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I was torn between both as well. I feel like the Ion would serve me better in the Privateer role, but dammit the brrrrrrrrrrt is gorgeous.

So I got both.
I got both. Having both ships which people on Spectrum say is overpowered but doesn't seem like it will out damage anything.

A hurricane with 6x scatterguns at point blank range does 6600 dps. An Ares is guestimated to deal 1800ish dps.

That hurricane will completely erase shields but may not penetrate capital armor very well but needs to be point blank to deal damage.

An Ares Ion can safely stay at a distance to a capital ship and keep chugging away as it kites it to death. Any S5 or S6 guns shooting back can easily be dodged at that range.

A dogfighter could take on either one but a hurricane with quad shotgun turret sounds horrifying to fight.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I got both. Having both ships which people on Spectrum say is overpowered but doesn't seem like it will out damage anything.

A hurricane with 6x scatterguns at point blank range does 6600 dps. An Ares is guestimated to deal 1800ish dps.

That hurricane will completely erase shields but may not penetrate capital armor very well but needs to be point blank to deal damage.

An Ares Ion can safely stay at a distance to a capital ship and keep chugging away as it kites it to death. Any S5 or S6 guns shooting back can easily be dodged at that range.

A dogfighter could take on either one but a hurricane with quad shotgun turret sounds horrifying to fight.
Yeah, it's hard to say if the concept will match reality. I was hoping for a heavily armoured blockade runner or a rail gun ship (Rocinante) maybe around Connie sized. But this ship will due for the time being.
If the Ares lives up to expectations, she'll be a beauty for take-down ops. But if the same job can be done by say, a hurricane (or any other ship), which will be able to double as an effective fighter (or anything else), then she may find herself on the chopping block, regardless of sexiness.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Apparently the new damage and armor system will change up from our current DPS system according to what I've read on the various forums and reddit. I haven't seen the info people are quoting first hand though.

But think about it like this: pair of 20mm autocannons might be putting more lead (aka "damage") downrange than a 105mm howitzer, but the 20mms are just going to tickle an MBT regardless of how many shells hit.

Even if the new fabled armor and damage systems dont, I would hope CIG would adjust damage numbers to ensure the Ares can fill its role well.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Apparently the new damage and armor system will change up from our current DPS system according to what I've read on the various forums and reddit. I haven't seen the info people are quoting first hand though.

But think about it like this: pair of 20mm autocannons might be putting more lead (aka "damage") downrange than a 105mm howitzer, but the 20mms are just going to tickle an MBT regardless of how many shells hit.

Even if the new fabled armor and damage systems dont, I would hope CIG would adjust damage numbers to ensure the Ares can fill its role well.
Well put. It makes total sense when you word it that way. Makes me wonder about the viability of the Inferno gun against heavily armoured caps.

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane

So I got both.
Both is good.

I got both as well. And planning to CCU two of my game packages (350R and Mantis) to 2 more.

I thought as well it would be great to use with Kraken/Privateer as well, and had already 4 Ravens, which would be a good match as well.

And I think Ares has as well synergy with my Nautilus...

FUN~!

Last edited:

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane

New shield and armor systems.

CIG has said since the beginning that a weapon size increase is x2.73 DPS (or roughly x3 ;-p). Not sure if the current intention is a different one but probably current weapon DPS values are based on:
* no real armor system (shots can bounce, etc)
* no current ships are using S7 (nor S6?) so yet no need to balance them either.

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
I was thinking about having a main account and use my alt as a pirate...

But I got my, most hard to obtain, (most?) desired ship and so I think I will not need to be so serious about obtaining money...

But maybe I will end doing the opposite thing...

What we can do with:
4 Ravens
4 Ares
1 Crucible
1 Carrack
1 Orion <-- EDITED I had forgotten, lol
1 Nautilus
1 Kraken Privateer
1 Javelin

???

(I think that this fleet has enormous synergy...)

Last edited:

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Holy hell thats quite a fleet.

I decided to pass on the Ares but instead upgraded my Buccaneer to a Mantis. Might not be (nearly) as good in a fight, but that Quantum Interdiction is going to be too useful.

And even if I suck at flying, at least I can be useful and suck!

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I was thinking about having a main account and use my alt as a pirate...

But I got my, most hard to obtain, (most?) desired ship and so I think I will not need to be so serious about obtaining money...

But maybe I will end doing the opposite thing...

What we can do with:
4 Ravens
4 Ares
1 Crucible
1 Carrack
1 Nautilus
1 Kraken Privateer
1 Javelin

???

(I think that this fleet has enormous synergy...)
4 Ares? I like the way you think

Forgot your password?