Please don't like my thread-campaign

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Well, as a kinda sorta Gundam-fan, I've been Tested tonight. My patience and tolerance, greatly.

I watched the new netflix gundam CG show. All 6 episodes. It was...something.
Somethings, to be precise. Schizophrenic. The most 2 out of 10 and a 8.5 out of 10 show, at the same time.

Ignoring the obvious hollywood cliché of today trying to show the "other side" in a conflict as "well ackshually if we ignore the lore/history and lie and bend it enough, they are the good guys you see", it could've been something good. (mind you in this case they tried to pull the "we are just good people too" card with literal space nazis).

The action, the photography, the composition of shots, all excellent, full of detail, emotions, pulling on your strings, keeping you glued to the screen, all done by the Japanese side of the production, it was awesome, I wanted more!

Then the characters showed up and the western writer lived up to the expectations of being a DEI-hire, absolutely unable to write coherent, adult characters. It was atrocious, and the main characters monologue at the end was the most "starts out great and descends into total nonsense trying to justify it's simply evil message" I've ever heard in my life.
Its the definition of garbage writing by a horrible person with no understanding of reality, and especially not morality.

Anyways, I'm now angry at this show. Because it Could have been another Edgerunners. Even if in a very different genre (it's basically a war movie/drama). It really could have been great. Instead it's mindbendingly bad and great at the same time.

I'm never gonna watch another netflix creation without having at least some sorta alcohol in arms reach, that's for sure...

Oh and btw as far as UE5 goes which this show was "filmed" in, it's just nowhere near ready for primetime. The visual fidelity was all over the place,. Sometimes mindblowing, sometimes looking like a PS3 era game. In one shot I could count the pixels on mobile suits chest texture, in the next I could read all the tiny letters in the same place on it's chest. As a vfx artist working with this stuff, it was especially weird to see.

Forgot your password?