Please don't like my thread-campaign

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I remember USB keys and you had to keep that on your keychain or something in order not to lose the key. That was nasty when you had more than a few. Everyone was attaching their keychain to their PC or laptop. Then the laptop would get stolen with the computer keys and your car keys... annoying. You lose your security, and your ability to drive to the bar to get pie eyed at the same time.

In network security, it's often explained as a triangle: Something you know, Something you have, and Something you are.

The RSI app just provides one of the steps in the triangle for VPN's, but there are other ways of doing it. Some other companies have their own VPN tech. But these don't protect apps... they protect networks and computers.

If you need app and website protection, you need a different set of tools: That's where OpenID and OAuth2 come in. Those are the passwords that you can store in a vault or on Microsoft, Google, etc. Your password isn't used to log into thee app... you need the password to get get a token that is stored temporarily, every time you log in - or refreshed if you're still logged in during the token's expiry. You need that token to access the service, otherwise you get a login screen. Good security dictates you need another factor ... something you have... so we most often use your cell phone to send you a key that you need to repeat in the login, but you can also use other ways.
Ah yes the physical dongles. I remember having a com port dongle. Not USB. It was a rather large (by todays standards) black box with the pins, and the holes the opposite side for passthrough. It also had a square window where you could see inside and check out the fancy holographic sticker that was on the actual ID chip. It was for som CAD software.

Multi layer is a good thing, but man it can be a bitch to use. Worst of all, the new authentication requirements for online payments with credit cards are so randomly implemented in the EU, it's just a joke. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why or when I have to double authenticate with my banks phone app, and when it goes through without any extra steps. It seems like whenever I pay on ebay or Ali or amazon or Gpay, 99% of the time there is no second layer, payment just happens the moment I click pay. Whenever I try to pay my household bills via the only single website that allows for it in my country (and I almost aways do it at the exact same date and time), about 70 percent of the time I need to auth twice, especially on consecutive payments. It's just nonsense.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Say hello to the best mixed fruit Pálinka Lidl sells!

IMG_20221031_021542.jpg

I know, I know! It says Scotch in the label.
But it isn't.
Its scotch Style whiskey. Like, American cheese, or the Italian Style Prosciutto made from Romanian stray dogs that they sell. It's supposed to be one thing, but it has absolutely nothing in common with the original. Except for the packaging maybe.

It has the very sweet smell of mixed fruit alcohol, it has the aftertaste of it as well, and absolutely fuck all in between, apart from a bit of warmth. It's rather nice actually on a cold autumn night, but I wouldn't ever dare label it as whiskey of any sorts. On the upside the mixed fruit Pálinka taste is rather subdued by the taste of nothing, I would almost say it's Smooth, so even I can drink it without retching.

Tldr.: The smell isn't strong enough to turn any stomach and the taste is as inoffensive as it can get.
It gets my approval as a nightcap:economic depression edition.

4/10, it goes well with their cheep beer if you just wanna get drunk or sleepy, and its rather cheep at 14.50usd (0.7l for the same price as 0.5l of Famous Grouse)

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Ah yes the physical dongles. I remember having a com port dongle. Not USB. It was a rather large (by todays standards) black box with the pins, and the holes the opposite side for passthrough. It also had a square window where you could see inside and check out the fancy holographic sticker that was on the actual ID chip. It was for som CAD software.

Multi layer is a good thing, but man it can be a bitch to use. Worst of all, the new authentication requirements for online payments with credit cards are so randomly implemented in the EU, it's just a joke. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why or when I have to double authenticate with my banks phone app, and when it goes through without any extra steps. It seems like whenever I pay on ebay or Ali or amazon or Gpay, 99% of the time there is no second layer, payment just happens the moment I click pay. Whenever I try to pay my household bills via the only single website that allows for it in my country (and I almost aways do it at the exact same date and time), about 70 percent of the time I need to auth twice, especially on consecutive payments. It's just nonsense.
To sign into my work email/calendar on my phone I still sometimes have to plug in a USB key and touch it as it's part of the two-factor authentication.

To think this all started because I like having access to my work calendar on my phone and don't want to have two phones. So the first fold4 within a week developed the white line and after much back and forth with Samsung online marketplace support found out I could just return the device as it was still inside the 14-day purchase/return window. So the second phone within 2 days developed multiple dead pixels along the fold point and so I gave up on the fold4 and instead went with a s22 ultra. As much as I liked the idea of the larger screen it really needs to work first for more than a few days.

All this because Samsung stopped updating the note9 and to continue to access my work calendar requires the security patch to not be over x days old. I guess I could be like everyone else and remember my day's events but I am lazy and it's easy enough to just check my phone while eating or taking a walk to know I am 5 mins late and I should probably start to head towards the meeting room.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
To sign into my work email/calendar on my phone I still sometimes have to plug in a USB key and touch it as it's part of the two-factor authentication.

To think this all started because I like having access to my work calendar on my phone and don't want to have two phones. So the first fold4 within a week developed the white line and after much back and forth with Samsung online marketplace support found out I could just return the device as it was still inside the 14-day purchase/return window. So the second phone within 2 days developed multiple dead pixels along the fold point and so I gave up on the fold4 and instead went with a s22 ultra. As much as I liked the idea of the larger screen it really needs to work first for more than a few days.

All this because Samsung stopped updating the note9 and to continue to access my work calendar requires the security patch to not be over x days old. I guess I could be like everyone else and remember my day's events but I am lazy and it's easy enough to just check my phone while eating or taking a walk to know I am 5 mins late and I should probably start to head towards the meeting room.
Ah, understandable. Is the fold4 the 4th iteration and they still haven't figured it out? I heard about the woes with the first one, but I expected it to be fixed by now.

Random thought of the day: There are generations of gamers out there who are too young to know what "Follow that train CJ!!!" truly means, and probably never will, even if they know about it as a meme. It's kinda sad lol

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Ah, understandable. Is the fold4 the 4th iteration and they still haven't figured it out? I heard about the woes with the first one, but I expected it to be fixed by now.

Random thought of the day: There are generations of gamers out there who are too young to know what "Follow that train CJ!!!" truly means, and probably never will, even if they know about it as a meme. It's kinda sad lol
Yes 4th Gen and yup I'd figured it would be worth getting now but I guess it's not there yet for me.

It's what happens when you get old. Like my kids don't understand commercials or not having thousands of shows available even in the car. The idea of scheduling activities around TV show times or not being able to pause and pick up the show when ever you want. Heck even the joy of going to the video store on a Friday or raining weekend and hoping a copy of the movie is still available.

To think they might not even understand the frustration and long wait for Star citizen nor how revolutionary it was. It's just a game they hopefully like to play.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Yes 4th Gen and yup I'd figured it would be worth getting now but I guess it's not there yet for me.

It's what happens when you get old. Like my kids don't understand commercials or not having thousands of shows available even in the car. The idea of scheduling activities around TV show times or not being able to pause and pick up the show when ever you want. Heck even the joy of going to the video store on a Friday or raining weekend and hoping a copy of the movie is still available.

To think they might not even understand the frustration and long wait for Star citizen nor how revolutionary it was. It's just a game they hopefully like to play.
Ah yes, the olden days when Friday night meant watching Dallas, weekend afternoons meant watching Hercules/Xena/SG1, Holiday nights meant watching a movie from 20:15, probably on German sat tv, most likely Star Wars or Indy, sometimes Alien. I kinda miss those days, as a kid those were occasions, almost the same importance as Christmas and the like. As an adult with things to do, I do enjoy the convenience that modern streaming tech gives us. Especially since I don't have to bother setting up the VHS to record something or with the downloading of movies for my relatives. Even though I still limit my kids digital media consumption as close to zero as possible (they still got time to get crazy about it), the ease with which I can just put on any song they heard somewhere is sooo helpful. I gotta teach em what a cassette is for before I let them touch Spotify lol

random shower beer thought of the day:
Hitman Blood Money was brilliant except because it was a console game, draw distance was so small (and maps in general) that you could never ever justify using your tricked out super awesome sniper rifle. Even though the technical limitataions should be gone by now, sadly this issue stuck to this very day, there is basically zero sniping in the new games.
This came to me as I was playing Deathloop, a new-ish take on the assassination genre from the guys who did Dishonored. It's a fun game up until you finish the rather long introduction/tutorial, than it turns into a glorified "follow the marker" FPS game like the rest.

This brings me to the question, in SC PVE FPS combat, is there any place where you can actually justify tugging along a sniper rifle? Cos for me a Gallant with a 2x optic seems to do the trick just fine.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Depends on if your hunting players or npc's. As of 3.17 nps are for the most part in rooms that do not have very long sight lines. Players on the other hand can easily be snipped from far away as they walk from ship to building to pick up or deliver packages.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
In honor of the coruption that is @maynard here is a post given the lacking of recent music videos

View: https://youtu.be/_gUW2OnPvHI
Nah, this has very decent music and not enough ladies showing :D I feel like it's not corrupting enough, but I appreciate it non the less as I haven't heard this song before. I'm more of a chocolate/megitsune kinda guy lol

While we are at it, let's have a drink, Mexican style!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16lqIMCdyLw&ab_channel=HaraldBaldr

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
That's going to be a bit hard to listen to Seasons in the Sun. I had a good friend who died with cancer while we were in high school... secondary school, whatever you call it - the year after Terry Jacks sang it.
Ouch. I feel for you my friend. And I can empathize; for some reason "Candle in the Wind", Diana's version, makes me ball like a baby, thinking about my mom.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Please pardon me dear gentlepeople for intruding into this most privat and, may I say sacred, place.
But I did click that John Wick link and I listend to Keanu tell Lawrence that he needed guns.
Now was that just me or did anyone else also quip "..LOTS of guns..." out of reflex?
Also that BABYMETAL link made me check out all my old X-Japan and MUCC records. I'm not sure wether to bless or curse you for that. Loooots of memories boiling up right now.
Lastly, with this thread being on its 1036th leg and running since 2015, does anyone still remember the topic? 'Cause I'm not starting to read all that jumk beginning with page one...😅

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Damn it! Where's my head? This was the actual question I wanted to comment on before I got distracted:
This brings me to the question, in SC PVE FPS combat, is there any place where you can actually justify tugging along a sniper rifle? Cos for me a Gallant with a 2x optic seems to do the trick just fine.
I do actually run around with a Gemini A03 (Get it in a Bunke loot box near you!) Sniper rifle sometimes. Put a silencer on it and a relatively small zoom. I use it on the 890 Jump mission for clearing the Hangar and the cargo room. Could be done with another gun easily, i know full well. But there is something satisfying about racking in single headshot kills. Plus it's good training and I got pretty decent at swapping to my sidearm almost instantly too. 😁

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Damn it! Where's my head? This was the actual question I wanted to comment on before I got distracted:

I do actually run around with a Gemini A03 (Get it in a Bunke loot box near you!) Sniper rifle sometimes. Put a silencer on it and a relatively small zoom. I use it on the 890 Jump mission for clearing the Hangar and the cargo room. Could be done with another gun easily, i know full well. But there is something satisfying about racking in single headshot kills. Plus it's good training and I got pretty decent at swapping to my sidearm almost instantly too. 😁
That's actually a good place with enough room to use it, I'll give it a go next time just for the giggles!
It can be really satisfying to snipe even when unnecessary. I sometimes use whatever sniper I find in the defend bunker missions with just irons. When you start at the bottom, there are some positions from which you can snipe along the length of the walkway right into the spawn room. When the door opens, you just keep pulling that trigger and dropping heads lol

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
When you start at the bottom, there are some positions from which you can snipe along the length of the walkway right into the spawn room. When the door opens, you just keep pulling that trigger and dropping heads lol
THAT good sir is a brilliant strategy that I will do my best to emulate. Now all we need is a couple of boobytraps to secure the apoaches to our position and a cold ber to steady our aim.
Alternatively some proper surface missions. Like having to hunt down a guy in a settlement. And all you got is a name and an old picture. Shooting the wrong guy is instant failure. Ah yes, perchance to dream... 😁

Forgot your password?