Please don't like my thread-campaign

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
It's Friday, time for more beers!

I've finished the basic assembly of the main body of my first Gundam. It looks better than I expected, less cheap toy-like.
Still I'll fully disassemble and paint it some clean but more realistic style and shades, that's the really exciting part.

IMG_20230923_010232~2.jpg

*trashy pic taken by throwing two black t-shirts under my desk and using my graphics card and ram rgb for lighting with a flashlight bounced off the bottom of the table for backlighting.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It's Friday, time for more beers!

I've finished the basic assembly of the main body of my first Gundam. It looks better than I expected, less cheap toy-like.
Still I'll fully disassemble and paint it some clean but more realistic style and shades, that's the really exciting part.

View attachment 24880

*trashy pic taken by throwing two black t-shirts under my desk and using my graphics card and ram rgb for lighting with a flashlight bounced off the bottom of the table for backlighting.
Hawt!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'm a big fan of huge battling robots/mechs. Use to play MechWarrior and Armoured Core back in the day but the one with the most personality I can remember was Megas XLR in the cartoon of the same name. That series was a blast and where this GIF game from:

EDIT - Lol, just found someone on Deivantart made one:

1695483318078.png

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I'm a big fan of huge battling robots/mechs. Use to play MechWarrior and Armoured Core back in the day but the one with the most personality I can remember was Megas XLR in the cartoon of the same name. That series was a blast and where this GIF game from:

EDIT - Lol, just found someone on Deivantart made one:

View attachment 24881
I strongly disliked Japanese style mecha just by their looks, but armored core 6 made me understand why they are cool. I was always into the more blocky chicken mechs of mechwarrior. Now after watching M.S.G. 1 (the first movie) I moved on to iron blooded orphans. It's decent quality anime although the fights are a bit chaotic to comprehend.

Never knew where that meme was from, I've learned something! Hehe

Kid doesn't want me to take apart Rob the Robot (that's what I told her it was called, cos more fun) just yet, so I still got time to decide on a color scheme. I want to keep the white but I also want to retain some color on it. I'm not a fan of this red blue arrangement. I know it's classic but it doesn't spell serious giant killing machine to me.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Just got a notification that the big box I ordered will arrive on the same day as another box I ordered a week ago locally, difference between the two being one filled with 3 small gundams, the other with one small and one rather large.
My wife's gonna go full Ceasar's Legion on me... and no, not in a good way you pervs lol
Only saving grace will be that among the toys for myself, I ordered an entry grade (no cutting needed) for my daughter for us to assemble together.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
My wife's gonna go full Ceasar's Legion on me... and no, not in a good way you pervs
You know us so well. And you telling us not to I fear falls on deaf ears. But you know this being one of us.
Then again I have boxes with things like this Lego d11 delivered and I am not sure sge believes any of the excusses i try to utilize. Then your daughter one might be more effective ill have to try it next time.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
You know us so well. And you telling us not to I fear falls on deaf ears. But you know this being one of us.
Then again I have boxes with things like this Lego d11 delivered and I am not sure sge believes any of the excusses i try to utilize. Then your daughter one might be more effective ill have to try it next time.
Lol, yeah I know. Good thing we got no whips at home...
I didn't even knew Lego still released such awesome technics kits! All I see at the shops are the licenced stuff like the cars which frankly look kinda silly when built. But that, that is cool!
Yeah well I got lucky so far, with the excuse of not opening the delivery box so the little one doesn't see it before she is supposed to, I managed to stash it. It barely fit into this 60x60x50cm unit lol

1696377127515.png

This finally gave me a very good reason to clean out as much of my office/storage/hobby room as possible. It will take another couple of days of digging through and eliminating old stuff, so I can get my hobby desk up and running again with the compressor/airbrush and everything. Planning on going full custom on this big boi, just looking for some extra waterslide and photoetch kits for it.

Hopefully the cleanup will make the missus a bit more forgiving when the steady flow of Gundams start rolling in... I made some purchases on HLJ which due to shipping costs I will stagger into a max of 3 models per shipment. I've also got like 13 models on backorder already.

I'm really enjoying this new hobby. Not having to glue stuff, just carefully cut and sand is really satisfying. I've already built 3 more kits, only one of them a "real" Gundam (Leo green mech up top), the other two are something else. Or rather one of the two is an even smaller scale toy made from like 12 parts which is some sorta Gundam I think (bot.right), the third is from some different franchise though. It's supposedly 1/48th scale yet it's the size of a regular 1/144 Gundam. And it's pink. Very pink.
It's from around 1996 as far as I could tell, it barely holds together but still has better fitment than most "regular" model kits of tanks and such lol.
I'll use this as my first proper full test run for resprays, instead of runining a real grade. Thankfully it's just a couple of parts, took only like 3 hours to build at a leisurely pace, so it won't be an issue taking it apart and putting it back together again. I can even glue a bunch of parts together and smooth over the seems.

1696379098622.png

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Well, I did my first practice run on The Pinky pictured in my previous post. I think it turned out good enough that I won't just throw it in the bin. I learned a lot about the process, where I'm messing up, what tools I'm lacking, what paints and thinners I own work well together, and ofc I learned that my airbrush skills are non existent even for the most basic stuff. I need to practice a lot more.

I forgot parts (hence no sword yet), I'm not careful enough and mess up the wet paint, or make steps early that should have come later, there's tons more details on this model I should have picked out with different colors, more lines I should have carved out or deeper, and so on. But I wanted to get through the whole process as fast as I could while taking it seriously enough to provide me with answers and experience on what works and what doesn't, and not rushing any particular part, so I left all those mistakes there as they were.

Anyways, too much rambling, here's the now verymuch Blood Angels themed non-Gundam robo thingy . Although it wasn't my intention to make the colors so 40K ish, it's just that you can't go wrong with a red and black combo. WIsh I ordered a sheet of 40k waterslides, an aquila on the chest and some skulls on the shoulders would have made this even better lol

1696727951673.png

1696727989821.png

1696728042084.png

Attachments

Forgot your password?