Please put this to rest for me (argument amongst friends)

Callahad

Captain
Aug 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Gavin6115
exactly my point, the lift is created from the forward motion. apparently theres some mythbuster video proving it wrong, but i think they just made the plane go faster than the treadmill!

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
This would only be an issue if the airplane was using its wheels to drive its acceleration instead of a prop or turbine. The airplane would only move backwards until its forward thrust overpowered the movement of the treadmill. The plane would then proceed forward as normal and take off fine. I think I saw this question on a HS physics test forever ago.....

Think of the Atmosphere like soup, and the ground as....uh...ground. What the propeller does is pull the plane through the soup by displacing the soup itself, thus not really relying on what is going on with the ground. Am I only making sense to myself? I do that, ya know....

Last edited:

Callahad

Captain
Aug 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Gavin6115
the way i understand it is, that the point of the hypothetical treadmill is to keep the plane stationary on the runway with the engines on. so theres no way that would generate upward lift

Reactions: Beerjerker

SpudNyk

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 19, 2016
RSI Handle
spudnyk
So yes it can take off, because the plane will move forward through the air regardless of what the treadmill on the ground is doing?
This question now makes me feel like I smoked weed...
The engines are thrust based, so baring friction the wheels will just spin faster but the plane will move forward should accelerate to taking off speed.

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
I would guess no, since the wings aren't moving through the air.
Maybe @DarthMatter could weigh in. He's studying to be a mad scientist or something like that...
Looks like you guys are handling this fine without me, but I'd love to throw in my thoughts. :)

The plane can't take off standing still, but since the engines "work" on the air and not the ground it doesn't really matter what the wheels are doing, as long as we exclude friction. Excluding friction there won't be any problem with the wheels blowing up and not being able to support the plane either (Unless the wheels rips apart due to internal forces, but I think a treadmill would break down before that and then the question would not work. So lets ignore that).
If we include friction... it boils down to how the friction created from wheels spinning on the ground affects the plane. If the wheels are attached to an engine of some sorts it will create a force on the plane and drag it to a standstill. If the wheels are just ball-bearings on a axel... there isn't really anything that transfers the backwards acceleration of the treadmill from the wheels to the rest of the plane... I'd say the plane accelerates forward with the treadmill trying to keep up with the wheels speed but not really doing anything (kinda like the Mythbusters video above. The plane was faster than the treadmill and took off).

In real life though... something would break. Be it the wheels exploding or the whole landing gear being ripped off the plane ect...
Why this didn't happen to Jamie and Adam is because the car was too slow. The treadmill wasn't fast enough to keep up with the wheels.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
The belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels, moving in the opposite direction.
This is impossible.
The engines are thrust based, so baring friction the wheels will just spin faster but the plane will move forward should accelerate to taking off speed.
Because the speed of the wheels is the speed of the aircraft added to the speed of the conveyor belt.
What the propeller does is pull the plane through the soup by displacing the soup itself, thus not really relying on what is going on with the ground.
Completely correct.

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
omg this stupid retarded shit again.

The plane will go forward on the conveyor belt no matter how fast the conveyor belt is going and will take off. The only thing that will prevent this is the wheel bearings or the wheels/tires themselves fail due to exponential increasing RPM. The plane engine pushes against the air to create forward speed, the wheels just spin freely. FUCK.

Jethaya

Captain
Dec 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Jethaya
guys the myth buster tackled that probleme
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YORCk1BN7QY
and prooved that the treadmills just make the wheels spin faster the plane still takes off because the engine push it forward anyone with a few meter of cloth and a remote control plane can test this also there is no engine in plane wheels they are like the front wheel of a bycicle there is no traction at all on the ground so imagine you are on roller skate and you get on a treadmill and your holding yourself in place by holding on side rails with your hands no matter how fast the treadmills go its not harder on you the only thing is the wheel spin faster

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If the engines exhaust onto the wings as in twin puller configurations, it is possible the wings would have enough lift for takeoff, which would be essentially vertical. This is unlikely, however. If the engines do not push air onto the wings, the plane cannot fly.

Reactions: Beerjerker

Jethaya

Captain
Dec 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Jethaya
If the engines exhaust onto the wings as in twin puller configurations, it is possible the wings would have enough lift for takeoff, which would be essentially vertical. This is unlikely, however. If the engines do not push air onto the wings, the plane cannot fly.
have you looked at the video? the propeller plane will fly nothing is preventing the plane from going forward so the wing will get lift same as if the conveyer wasnt even there the only thing it changes is the speed at wich the weels will turn its not the weels that are driving the plane to take off speed
following your logic a floate plane wouldnt take off or a sky plane couldnt take off from the snow ... the weels are just there so the planes doesnt stand on its belly doesnt matter how fast they spin as soon has the propeller exerts more traction then the friction of the weels , skys or float that plane will accelerate and go forward get lift and takeoff no matter what it is standing on

Last edited:
Forgot your password?