Polaris is Now a Limited Quantity Ship.

Grimm_Reaper

Space Marshal
May 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Reaper
Just read this on the forums. If you have a Polaris CCU, its going to be a super rare find most likely similar to a Phoenix going forward. They are treating it as a hull limited quantity ship similar to the Idris and Javelin.

If you are waiting for the anniversary day CCU I'd suggest not waiting as long and buy it if you see a good price. People are slowly getting the info and once they do grey market prices will shoot up. Maybe its to limit the HH to Polaris ccu conversion.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Well they sold to many initially for what they wanted population wise. I can just imagine the vanduul dying in droves to too many missiles. They didn't sell it last anniversary sale at all so if you want one at least you have a chance. I swapped mine for a hammerhead! ha.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Interesting.

Why would they limit it? Is it that special?

If its some kind of super powerful torpedo boat, I will understand.
It kind of is a "super powerful torpedo boat" --> it has 28 Size 10 Torpedoes...so, that makes it equivalent to almost 5 Retaliators (which have 6 Size 9 Torpedoes).

Not sure how sturdy they will make the Idris and other larger capital ships, but I get the idea that the Polaris definitely is a ship that can "punch above its weight" ... for real, as opposed to what CIG marketing says.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
It kind of is a "super powerful torpedo boat" --> it has 28 Size 10 Torpedoes...so, that makes it equivalent to almost 5 Retaliators (which have 6 Size 9 Torpedoes).
It's much more powerful than that. The Polaris has cap ship radar, while the Tally is medium. Since Torps have greater range than guns, this makes an enormous difference in the way the ships can be used. Add to this that the Polaris can support spotting ships like the Ghost Hornet, Tracker, Space Turtle and Eclipse, and you start to see it is an astonishing war machine. Unless you have a way to thwart S10 torps suddenly appearing on your radar, they are much to be feared. I expect they'll be expensive, so the smaller ships may have less reason to fear than the juicier targets. IIRC, I saw some Connies go down with just a single S9 torp from the Eclipse.
So in any capital fleet engagement, when you see 20 Polaris show up, its go time.
Odds are if you ever see that, your time to leave is over, and it's time to respawn.

Grimm_Reaper

Space Marshal
May 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Reaper
Is a good guess. I'm still hoping as they open it up the hangar gets a little bigger--same with the Carrack.
I really hope the Hangar gets bigger, as of now its useless.

Problem is the guy could not get it back from buybacks. So thats kinda confusing. I can't try it as I have no Polaris ccu in bb just another warbond Polaris there.

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius

Problem is the guy could not get it back from buybacks. So thats kinda confusing. I can't try it as I have no Polaris ccu in bb just another warbond Polaris there.
What the guy was trying to get back, I believe, was actually a Hull C that had been CCU'd to the Polaris. This not allowed, and the Polaris isn't normally available (thus limited?). So that's what CIG meant.

Reactions: Radegast74

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Keep in mind, that any small tending craft you might want to operate off a Polaris can be flown into theater seperately, and then manintained with the hangar so long as they fit. If you want to fly ten Hornets off that hangar you could do that.

I dunno if they're really gonna make it limited. The original intent was to create a militia with them, most probably as part of the running Sons of Orion storyline; where you get to go battle Vanduul. I'm still hoping to do that. I can imagine flying a screen of Eclipse out at extreme S10 torp range from the Polaris, and just devestating entire Vanduul fleets. The question is whether it pays enough. I think you might want to team with a Reclaimer crew to make sure it does.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK52v7NF-CA

Reactions: SullyQuindarius
Forgot your password?