Polaris is Now a Limited Quantity Ship.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
Now when you say limited its just limited pre launch right? There is no limit to how many can be purchased in game once it goes live correct? I cant remember lol.
There are no limits once game is live. Not unless there are constraints on the economy that would affect it's production in which time you would have to wait it out.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
There are no limits once game is live. Not unless there are constraints on the economy that would affect it's production in which time you would have to wait it out.
No artificial constraints but all the ships will be affected both by scarcity and the in-game economy.

It's all still super in the works but rarer/more expensive ships (Banu Merchantman, captured Scythe, all the capital ships, etc) will have much longer manufacture times than your bog standard Cutlass or Freelancer.

Even variants may be different- CIG at one point (ages ago, just as an example) said that the Cutlass series would be produced by Drake at a 70% Black, 20% Red, 10% Blue ratio.

And I would hazard a guess that the 500 or whatever amount of Polares (Polarii? Polarises?) made per day/week/month, the ones used for insurance replacements will be used before the rest go on the open market.

A Capital ship is and should be a big investment, and CIG has been pretty consistent with saying that they will take a good chunk of resources to operate. So it stands to reason that acquiring one would be more strenuous as well.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
A Capital ship is and should be a big investment, and CIG has been pretty consistent with saying that they will take a good chunk of resources to operate. So it stands to reason that acquiring one would be more strenuous as well.
This works for me, and it's part of the reason why I have some of the ships I have. It gives me something I like to crash while something else is getting repaired. But as far as any of the capital ships are concerned, I'm more likely to want to be part of the crew rather than the owner.
It would be just as fun for me, and when if it blows up the emotional and disappointment train takes the track to empathy instead of panic and rage.

Plus, if it was needed, I can do trade and mining runs to help pay for the loss. If I'm on the crew of a ship that blows up, I wouldn't have a problem doing my share of the work to help get the ship back.

Randson

Space Marshal
Oct 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Randson
Looking at the concept pictures of Polaris, Port Olisar's small pad dimensions might actually reduce the size of the hangar. As you can see from the picture with the gladius, a small ship would have ample room around it, and the hangar would be around 30-40 meters long and perhaps 25-30 meters wide, and at least 10 meters deep. With those dimensions, even medium ships, like Cutlass, would fit in it. Snugly, perhaps, but fit nevertheless.

idk, it's a capital ship with a hefty price tag, corvette or not I'd kinda wish it could carry at least one medium ship or couple of small ones, perhaps 4 snubs.
Judging by CIG's info, bringing the pad to a standardized size would at the very minimum increase length and height as the targeted question regarded a RSI Mantis which currently does not fit. I'd struggle to think they would reduce the width if they had to also increase the length. I mean of course they could.. but the model would be so much different than concept

Edited for mobile autocorrect.
Screenshot_20191126-102929995.jpg

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Judging by CIG's info, bringing the pad to a standardized size would at the very minimum increase length and height as the targeted question regarded a RSI Mantis which currently does not fit. I'd struggle to think they would reduce the width if they had to also increase the length. I mean of course they could.. but the model would be so much different than concept
Eh, if you ask them, I'm sure they'll say Freelancer won't fit in 890 or that "it isn't designed to". It does, however, fit. Snugly, but it fits.
Pretending to increase something whilst at the same time reducing it in reality is classical political move. Maybe while they make the imaginary lines on the floor larger, they add few struts on the sides or something, making things not actually fit. Kinda like Pisces has few completely unnecessary struts that seem to be there specifically to prevent Greycat Buggy from fitting in. Meanwhile the pisces seems to have those stubby wings just to make sure it doesn't fit other craft, like Valkyrie.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
This works for me, and it's part of the reason why I have some of the ships I have. It gives me something I like to crash while something else is getting repaired. But as far as any of the capital ships are concerned, I'm more likely to want to be part of the crew rather than the owner.
It would be just as fun for me, and when if it blows up the emotional and disappointment train takes the track to empathy instead of panic and rage.

Plus, if it was needed, I can do trade and mining runs to help pay for the loss. If I'm on the crew of a ship that blows up, I wouldn't have a problem doing my share of the work to help get the ship back.
\

Well, the Owl and you are always welcome to the bar and bridge of any of my ships. After all, the more memorable times are the times when things don't go according to plan. For how can you truly top the epicness of attempting to sing northern war songs while forgetting mountains don't bow before us. That Asteroids don't give right of way and that we are indeed not bulletproof as much as our ego says otherwise.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
\

Well, the Owl and you are always welcome to the bar and bridge of any of my ships. After all, the more memorable times are the times when things don't go according to plan. For how can you truly top the epicness of attempting to sing northern war songs while forgetting mountains don't bow before us. That Asteroids don't give right of way and that we are indeed not bulletproof as much as our ego says otherwise.
Well, I'll be there. Haha. The best shit shows are the ones that happen together!

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Good, polaris is a poopy ship anyways.
It better not be I just bought one!!

By definition, capital ships are always and only warships. The Reclaimer is not a warship. Another part of the definition is that the main target of a cap ship is one of its own class, and since Corvettes usually attack larger vessels they are most often not considered cap ships.

The Polaris includes cap ship components, but this is just a size and has nothing to do with what makes a cap ship. The Carrack will have cap ships scan as well, but it cannot be a real cap ship as its purpose is not war.

In the UEE, real cap ships start with the Idris.
Not sure if that's how CIG is categorizing "large" vs. "capitol" ships. The Origin 890 Jump is listed as a Capitol ship and it's definitely not a warship, unless you consider going to war with a bottle of Scotch. ;)

Anyway, I thought CIG was basing the class of the ships by size and components?

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I am curious though when it comes to capital ships like a Polaris if to many in game could be an issue at some point. OP.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
CR: Has Operation Pitchfork started?
ST: Yes. We have a problem, though.
CR: Vanduul wiped everyone out already?
ST: Uh, no, Chris, actually the Vanduul are on the ropes.
CR: I guess the Kingship will have to carry the day.
ST: The Kingship lasted 23 seconds. It took 743 size 10 torpedoes hits and almost twice that in size 9 torpedoes.
CR: ... We should have made the Polaris limited quantities sooner.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
ST: The Kingship lasted 23 seconds. It took 743 size 10 torpedoes hits and almost twice that in size 9 torpedoes.

Haha.

Randson

Space Marshal
Oct 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Randson
Haha YESSSSSSS. That and those Hercules A2 Dropin' dem MOABs.

Forgot your password?