Probably Spoilers: Star Wars 7

AwesomeDude

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 25, 2015
RSI Handle
TheAwesomeDude
Rey was probably trained as a Jedi when she was young, but she cant remember it, that is why she get flashbacks when se touched Lukes lightsabre and that explains why she can use the Force.
not to mention kylo was already shot with a boltcaster, a weapon that annihilated everything else in the movie, and finn mangaged to land a blow with the saber on kylo.
Edit: even then Kylo almost beat Rey

Tortilla the Hun

Grand Admiral
Jul 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Tortilla_the_Hun
I absolutely loved the movie. I appreciated the similarities to ANH. Yeah it was playing it safe, but it was nice to be able to sink into something familiar. I felt there was enough to keep the movie fresh even with all the thematic overlap. I couldn't help but smile at all the little nods to the original trilogy (the reference to the Kessel Run got a good chuckle out of me) and even the cinematography was reminiscent of the OT. The fades and wipes between scenes, giving faces to the Resistance pilots, allowing them character and focus where they could've easily just delivered balls to the wall dogfighting battles now that it would be feasible in this day and age of CGI.

I still can't say that it's without flaws. I don't like what they did with Captain Phasma. I know we haven't seen the last of her, but she seemed to have such a small part (granted there's two more movies to give her more depth) and I wouldn't have thought her the type to cave to intimidation. Though that could've been that she was overconfident fully believed that, regardless of how much she told them, there was nothing they could do to stop the Starkiller. That's probably my biggest gripe about the movie, but overall I loved it. In fact, I plan on watching it again at the Boeing IMAX theater! :D

NecroKnight

Lieutenant
Dec 27, 2015
RSI Handle
NecroKnight
What I liked: The villain is not fully formed and still has room to grow along side our new heroes. This "bridge" film successfully sets up the next series perfectly. The original cast put the best into this. It actually had some decent humor in it. It was a fun "reintroduction" to the Star Wars Universe that will set the tone for the next 2 episodes.

What I disliked: They spoiled things too early and in too much of a nonchalant manner. I personally would have held back Ren's identity until the big moment in the film. And that big moment should have had way more screen time, it should have fucking hurt. I should have shed a single man tear, but i didn't. It again was rushed and wasn't even a twist, I saw it from a mile away.

Finn and Rey are Mary and Gary Sue's. They 'level' up too fast and too easily. They have one scene where they don't know how to do something, and then the next time they encounter that again, they suddenly are the best at it. Rey especially. For never showing an ounce of force sensitivity throughout the early parts of the film, she goes from having flashbacks, to somehow knowing to use the mind trick, to fighting off a trained force user and summarily kicking his ass in 45 minutes. Sorry, it took look 2 whole movies to be a convincing Jedi. I jsut think they rushed her development and didn't handle it well. For example, in all of Ep. IV, Luke is referred to as a damn good pilot. So it is believable that when he gets behind the controls of the X-Wing he can fly it. Rey just, does it because she needs to. Annoying really.

Reactions: Tortilla the Hun

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
I really enjoyed it personally. Though i must say the second i saw kylo ren without his mask i looked at my brother and said " Ever See Grandmas boy?"

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
also if you didnt make this connection have fun unseeing this the next time you see kylo ren

Tortilla the Hun

Grand Admiral
Jul 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Tortilla_the_Hun
also if you didnt make this connection have fun unseeing this the next time you see kylo ren
It's not going to be hard for me. I was more reminded of a young Javier Bardem, especially in the way that he speaks.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
JJ is not done with star trek though. the reason he is not directing episode 8 is so he can work on star trek
He was going to direct the tv show and all the movies. He might return for another movie maybe. But the show is a no go which I appreciate. The show is about diplomacy and exploration not cheap fight scenes.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
I still can't say that it's without flaws. I don't like what they did with Captain Phasma. I know we haven't seen the last of her, but she seemed to have such a small part (granted there's two more movies to give her more depth) and I wouldn't have thought her the type to cave to intimidation. Though that could've been that she was overconfident fully believed that, regardless of how much she told them, there was nothing they could do to stop the Starkiller. That's probably my biggest gripe about the movie, but overall I loved it. In fact, I plan on watching it again at the Boeing IMAX theater! :D
There is already petitions and letters to have phasma replaced by tr-8r the baton guy who fights finn. On the subresdit they consider Phasma the new jar jar, a waste of plot development. I know the actress can act look at game of thrones. How the character was developed and what it did was pretty poor.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I have a strong feeling that Phasma will have a larger part in the upcoming movies. Her role seems too intentional for her to be nothing more than a way to crack a couple of jokes. It doesn't make sense for her to just roll over like she did when instructed to deactivate the shields defending the entire planet/weapon. My guess is that she'll end up sympathizing with the resistance in a more transparent way (probably not lead a full blown revolt, but disobeying an order or holding back just enough to let the good guys win). The fact that Finn turned on his first assignment is proof that this new breed of storm troopers aren't 100% completely brain washed.

Beauseant

Commander
Jun 30, 2015
RSI Handle
Beauseant
So I had my fiancee who has never seen SW before watch all the movie before we went and saw the new one. She ended up watching from episode 1-6 in that order. We watched 6 together that day or the night before (I saw it last night and I really can't remember, I'm getting old).

Now after watching it she told me how much she liked it and how it was her favorite of all the films she has seen so far. This was her reasoning.

1. She felt the characters were easy to connect with and care about.
2. She claims this movie explained everything in such a plain way that she could enjoy the movie without feeling the need to pause and rewind/rewatch parts of it just to understand everything going on.
(I spend a bit of time explaining who the characters were, where the hell the came from, and why in the world they were doing what they were doing in the old films)
3. There wasn't a character she hated just because he was an annoying waste of screen time with inexcusable jokes. AKA Jar Jar.
4. She wants to watch it again because she enjoyed it, not to figure out what some random event or conversation meant and why it changed the whole story.

I also enjoyed the movie. But talking to her I realized I enjoy Star Wars because it's something I've watched many time and kept having Ah-ha until I felt I really knew a enough to call myself a fan. She enjoyed the movie because it was an enjoyable movie she could feel connected to even after watching all the other movies only once. My fiancee is a smart girl so I find her observations pretty interesting.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
1) The hype around this movie is so great, we are inundated by commercials and promos-teamup to push this movie in our face 24 -7. After we are show plot points and hints at the script through the ad campaign it ruins some of the mystic and discovery in watching the movie unfold organically.
I will say that one of things I did prior to this movie was intentionally avoid every trailer, prediction thread, spoiler, and anything else that could have spoiled the movie for me. I went in with nothing more than a pair of 60-second trailers and the anticipation of seeing a Star Wars movie, and I had my mind blown.

Tortilla the Hun

Grand Admiral
Jul 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Tortilla_the_Hun
I will say that one of things I did prior to this movie was intentionally avoid every trailer, prediction thread, spoiler, and anything else that could have spoiled the movie for me. I went in with nothing more than a pair of 60-second trailers and the anticipation of seeing a Star Wars movie, and I had my mind blown.
I know what you mean. I had to cut myself off from some of the sites I frequent so I wouldn't even spoil it for myself accidentally.

Vimes

Captain
Dec 6, 2015
RSI Handle
VIIMES
This is what i did aswell, i didnt watch any trailers, didnt read up on reviews or plot lines, i had no idea that Han, Chewwie, Leia or Luke would be in the movie even.

So i got a pure "Holy shit its Han Solo" moment, aswell as "Holy shit its Luke SkyWalker" :-)

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Holy shit, geriatrics.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
*waves cane* Gerroff my lawn, whippersnapper!

Gamedude

Captain
May 31, 2015
RSI Handle
HoloSat
I finally understand what was wrong with this movie, it was made for a trilogy. Basically the same shit that The Hobbit went through, only that this had more fighting and better refrences to the old movies. ANH was primarily made for a standalone movie, while TFA is made in a storyline made for 3+ movies.
All your questions isn't answered by this movie alone, you just simply have to watch all of them when they get out.
The plot of this movie alone is bland, while its a very well made action movie(JJs speciality). We just have to wait until the new release.

Also the fact that i am salty for the all the games and novels that got uncanon kinda makes me hate this.
Though this explains it flaws better than me.
https://www.reddit.com/r/path%3D%252Fr%252FStarWarsLeaks%252Fcomments%252F3wy9nv%252Fofficial_ive_seen_the_force_awakens_megathread%252Fcy17wy7
https://www.reddit.com/r/path%3D%252Fr%252FStarWarsLeaks%252Fcomments%252F3wy9nv%252Fofficial_ive_seen_the_force_awakens_megathread%252Fcy3zswv

Last edited:

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
I don't know Salt, I guess I expected something more than cheap comedy. I mean, ANH was the original Space Opera and really was executed well. I think I'm done supporting Disney with this though and just going to go with the free option if I want to see anymore.

As for being Star Wars-y I don't think that could be farther from the truth. I didn't feel like I was watching a Star Wars movie, I felt like I was watching someone try to remake Star Wars but couldn't quite remember everything and didn't feel like researching any part of it and then they threw a massive amount of money at the screen. I wish someone could explain to me how this was a good movie, but so far people can't get any farther than the CGI being amazing.
FINALLY someone see's it the way I see it. I used to research lore on starwars like it was my religion, I played the card game and read all the small notes on everycharacter and lore available, and used to play for 10-12 hours every weekend with friends while we replayed the originals, for a few years.

Knowing what starwars is, is understatement, and watching the starwars Disney made - destroys it. They crapped ALL over the franchise and made it dumb and simple and god-modded everything. The friggin guy can practically stop time with the force, lol, without even trying or looking, yet he's a child, a teenager or something and is not even fully trained. Sure Darthvader could strangle someone over great distances through an intercom.. that was odd... but look at this, Luke was taught for awhile by ObiWan, it wasn;t overnight and then ObiWan died. It was quite a distance and alot of time, just the movie skips time when they travel, anwyays, eventually he can struggle and use the force on his own when concentrating. This girl, hears about the force for the first time by a scarey alien woman an not even an hour later, closes her eyes and concetrates and just made a fool out of Luke and other jedi, and used the force to bring the saber to herself, right in the middle of a fearful event where she fears for her life, is hanging on the edge or death for the first time, and has been emotionally confronted by a possible relative who just shook her world and torn it apart. yet she's cool. She's better with the force then Anakin or darthvader was...and just keeps her cool, and eventually finds luke.

COME THE FUCK ON DISNEY YOU BASTARDS!

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
FINALLY someone see's it the way I see it. I used to research lore on starwars like it was my religion, I played the card game and read all the small notes on everycharacter and lore available, and used to play for 10-12 hours every weekend with friends while we replayed the originals, for a few years.

Knowing what starwars is, is understatement, and watching the starwars Disney made - destroys it. They crapped ALL over the franchise and made it dumb and simple and god-modded everything. The friggin guy can practically stop time with the force, lol, without even trying or looking, yet he's a child, a teenager or something and is not even fully trained. Sure Darthvader could strangle someone over great distances through an intercom.. that was odd... but look at this, Luke was taught for awhile by ObiWan, it wasn;t overnight and then ObiWan died. It was quite a distance and alot of time, just the movie skips time when they travel, anwyays, eventually he can struggle and use the force on his own when concentrating. This girl, hears about the force for the first time by a scarey alien woman an not even an hour later, closes her eyes and concetrates and just made a fool out of Luke and other jedi, and used the force to bring the saber to herself, right in the middle of a fearful event where she fears for her life, is hanging on the edge or death for the first time, and has been emotionally confronted by a possible relative who just shook her world and torn it apart. yet she's cool. She's better with the force then Anakin or darthvader was...and just keeps her cool, and eventually finds luke.

COME THE FUCK ON DISNEY YOU BASTARDS!

didn't luke have to be tought the force and then concentrate as hard as he could to bring a saber to himself? This girl just seems to be the next jesus... wait luke was the jesus... this girl is god.

Gamedude

Captain
May 31, 2015
RSI Handle
HoloSat
didn't luke have to be tought the force and then concentrate as hard as he could to bring a saber to himself? This girl just seems to be the next jesus... wait luke was the jesus... this girl is god.
Yes, Luke had training. But the hidden fact here is that Rey might have been one of the apprentices of Luke, but the story implied that Kylo killed em all. We just don't know yet.
Truth be told, i just learnt that George Lucas had no part in the movie whatsoever. I kind of miss the sitting and talking now, at least he wrote fucking tons rather than a rework plot.

Forgot your password?