Programmers - Coding in C

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
@Printimus , you are working on bettering yourself. we are all proud of you for doing this. the least we can do is take a few minutes to give you a small hand and a huge emotional boost to help you out.
You all are da bomb. Whenever I eventually get my cubicle office in some warehouse full of other programmers/developers, I will sing the songs of my fellow Testies and line my cubicle walls with propaganda of the highest tier quality that is of TEST!

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
@Printimus , you are working on bettering yourself. we are all proud of you for doing this. the least we can do is take a few minutes to give you a small hand and a huge emotional boost to help you out.
I second that : -D CHEERS!

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
There's nothing at all wrong with C when it comes to learning, and understanding it will make it easier to understand the languages you're much more likely to use in the real world: C#, C++, Java, JavaScript, etc. They are all based on C to some extent.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I’m baffled about why they start you with C, everyone knows it should commence with A then B before C.

Are you sure these teachers are qualified?
Actually, the name C was because C follows B... and that is a real programming language. No A language exactly, because A-0, A-1, A-2, and A-3 were early arithmetic languages... back in the early 50's, created for the UNIVAC systems. A+, A++, and A# exist too, but not from this time period.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I’m baffled about why they start you with C, everyone knows it should commence with A then B before C.

Are you sure these teachers are qualified?
More qualified than random people on the internet! 😂
There's nothing at all wrong with C when it comes to learning, and understanding it will make it easier to understand the languages you're much more likely to use in the real world: C#, C++, Java, JavaScript, etc. They are all based on C to some extent.
I do believe that is the intention of their introductory course. And by they, I mean my school: University of Maryland University College aka UMUC.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Actually, the name C was because C follows B... and that is a real programming language. No A language exactly, because A-0, A-1, A-2, and A-3 were early arithmetic languages... back in the early 50's, created for the UNIVAC systems. A+, A++, and A# exist too, but not from this time period.
I’m awed and aghast that I didn’t do research before making a joke.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

Then again you'll find times when you are programing in the other langues you will wish you had access to the freedom that is available in C.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
Then again you'll find times when you are programing in the other langues you will wish you had access to the freedom that is available in C.
I can't say that has ever happened to me! 😂

Then again, I also can't recall ever having to work in a language I didn't think was appropriate for the task at hand.

I've always been lucky and stayed away from working on legacy projects, I do bleeding edge stuff only.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I can't say that has ever happened to me! 😂

Then again, I also can't recall ever having to work in a language I didn't think was appropriate for the task at hand.

I've always been lucky and stayed away from working on legacy projects, I do bleeding edge stuff only.
The joys of maintaining legacy code. Millions of lines of java code, poorly utilized reflection, along with attempts to use ejb concepts with out understanding its principles.

Guess it could have been worse, it could have been written in javascript.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
This is a leap ahead of a lot of "programmers" (admitting you don't know something).

Some you'll learn if you ever go down the Java road, others you only learn after years of being in the trenches, much like most career paths.
starting off in C and dunno where I go after that. Guess I will have to take a look into the future of the program and see which classes it teaches.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
By the way...
Looks like 25 bucks. I checked... covers most of the bases. You can get most of the information for free on websites that deal with C programming too, but the dummies books are more structured than random websites.

A copy of K&R is good to have, but wait till later.
Fantastic!
Cheaper is better!

Forgot your password?