Propaganda dump March 2018

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Amazing to think that they banned it within living memory. If they banned booze in the UK there would be an uprising, our society has used beer for thousands of years. I'm going to have to google prohibition now as I have no idea why or how it came about.

Darn Test educating me again.

This is what the BBC says but it does not make sense as the war was over by then:-

Prohibition summary
The noble experiment of Prohibition was introduced by the 18th Amendment, which became effective in January 1920.

Here are four reasons why Prohibition was introduced:

1. National mood - when America entered the war in 1917 the national mood also turned against drinking alcohol. The Anti-Saloon League argued that drinking alcohol was damaging American society.
  2. Practical - a ban on alcohol would boost supplies of important grains such as barley.
  3. Religious - the consumption of alcohol went against God's will.
  4. Moral - many agreed that it was wrong for some Americans to enjoy alcohol while the country's young men were at war.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
First off, a lot of what @Rear_Intruder wuotes was true. That said, people like looking for the easy answers. Something or someone they can blame for the troubles they experience in life.

Congress does this a lot. Whenever something bad happens, you see someone in congress asking “who is to blame?”

The fact is, most things are caused by a chain of issues. Cause and effect that do not just go in a linear fashion, but branch out as well. According to one popular root cause analysis methodology, every effect has at least two causes. As action, and a condition, and the effect will not happen unless both happen at the same time. This can even be applied to humans performance as well.

In the early 1900s, you had massive wars..the war to end all wars. You had violence spiraling out of control compared to what it was. Tnsions were high, and often times, alcohol was a factor. Look at the tropes you see from the Wild West. Saloon fights, shootouts, gambling in saloons, etc. Some thought that if you removed alcohol (drugs, guns, etc today), you will would generate a utopia. If people were not drunk, they would not fight. If you removed alcohol, you people would return to the church and find god’s love instead worshiping the devil at the bottom of every whisky bottle.

Unfortunately for America, people LIKED booze, so when it became illegal, things just went underground. Booze running, hidden stills, gang warfare over territory. Sounds a lot like today and drugs? Because it that’s what it was like.

Now people want to blame games, or the media, or guns, drugs, social media, or anything but themselves.

Last edited:

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
I've spent about 45 mins reading about the causes of prohibition now so I may be a world class expert.

I do not accept the grain supply issue as a major factor.
I read it as an up swelling of religion and or people imposing their own morals. It may be that being so soon after the war may have pushed it along, however it appears temperance/prohibition had been tried in several states before this and had gained enough momentum to be imposed on all.
The good news is that ordinary people (if we ignore the related violent crime) overcame it by a type of social democratic ? disobedience. Although in many communities mostly rural prohibition was a success.
It has some similarities to the legalisation of cannabis process.
Here is a tit bit to further hijack our leaders thread.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/uk-is-worlds-largest-producer-of-legal-cannabis/ar-BBJUTV9?ocid=spartandhp

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
Religious - the consumption of alcohol went against God's will.
My boss is a very religious Mormon. We talk quite regularly about alcohol. Always asks me about why I drink and what benefit it might have. I've encouraged him to try it a number of times... especially considering how many "non-offensive" (let's be clear, I'm a thick chested American and I love my Barley Wine) alcoholic beverages are available (ciders, hard lemonade, etc). It's just funny to me the whole idea of not trying something because your religion says not to even though logically you find no reason not to. I think I've cracked the shell a few times.

You get one life. Live it to its fullest. Drink Beer.

(This message paid for by the RiceMaiden Coalition for the Fight Against Sobriety)

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
@Rear_Intruder , the formula is simple enough:

"X" is destroying our country and tearing families apart, we need to ban "X" so nobody can have access to "X", which will solve all our problems.
OMG it makes sense now!!!!

We live in a world full of idiots!!

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
"X" is destroying our country and tearing families apart, we need to ban "X" so nobody can have access to "X", which will solve all our problems.
Yesterday - BEER Today - GUNS

I've spent about 45 mins reading
Good Gosh man don't tell TESTies that you actually read..
If this condition continues, please see your doctor.........

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
Here in the state of Washington, we are banning everything so traffic injuries/fatalities stop. It started with seat belt usage becoming mandatory, then no cell phones and, most recently, it is illegal to eat a sandwich while operating a vehicle because Distracted Driving. Is the population is too dumb to realize this is just another power grab via the destruction of personal freedom? Control freaks who try to make a new law for everything will never be satisfied.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
We live in a world full of idiots!!
Yep. Including us, but at least we are aware of it. It's the ones who don't realise they and everyone else are idiots who are the dangerous ones.

"Hey, check this out: E=Mc2!"
"Ah, cool. What shall we do with it?"
"Lets combine it with some radioactive substances"
*Bikity-Bam, histories most powerful man-made explosion*
"Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds... Oh shit."

Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should do something. What idiots we all are.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
It started with seat belt usage becoming mandatory, then no cell phones and, most recently, it is illegal to eat a sandwich while operating a vehicle because Distracted Driving. Is the population is too dumb to realize this is just another power grab via the destruction of personal freedom?
I agree with all those rules!

Tell me how many near misses you have had because some idiot at the intersection was checking his phone?

A law saying you have to wear a seat belt and pay attention to the road is in no way destroying my personal freedom.

If you think freedom means being able to eat a sandwich while texting your girlfriend as you drive 70mph down the i95, I have a news flash for you. You are endangering me and my family.

I dont give a shit if you crash and die in a fiery accident.

I do care about the 3 cars you take out as you plow through 2 lanes of traffic and barrel roll as a fire ball into the minivan carrying kids to their soccer game.

Just last week a TEST member here posted how his niece was killed crossing the street. We don't have the facts about whether or not it was a distracted driver, but odds are likely it was.

Laws that protect me from distracted idiots who think they can multitask while driving are not infringing my freedoms.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Here in the state of Washington, we are banning everything so traffic injuries/fatalities stop. It started with seat belt usage becoming mandatory, then no cell phones and, most recently, it is illegal to eat a sandwich while operating a vehicle because Distracted Driving. Is the population is too dumb to realize this is just another power grab via the destruction of personal freedom? Control freaks who try to make a new law for everything will never be satisfied.
I really hated that law that came in that said you were not allowed to leave the driving seat when you had the car in cruise control.

Really infringed on my personal freedom to move around the otherwise uncontrolled vehicle while it was traveling at a constant 55mph.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

Red - Without rules ii.jpg

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
My boss is a very religious Mormon. We talk quite regularly about alcohol. Always asks me about why I drink and what benefit it might have. I've encouraged him to try it a number of times... especially considering how many "non-offensive" (let's be clear, I'm a thick chested American and I love my Barley Wine) alcoholic beverages are available (ciders, hard lemonade, etc). It's just funny to me the whole idea of not trying something because your religion says not to even though logically you find no reason not to. I think I've cracked the shell a few times.

You get one life. Live it to its fullest. Drink Beer.

(This message paid for by the RiceMaiden Coalition for the Fight Against Sobriety)
I fully support this coalition and add it to my list of propaganda to push across the TEST forums. Vote for Space Kitty's!

Reactions: Ammorn and Bambooza
Forgot your password?